Galaxy DX 48T

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for. Go ahead and post here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Radio: Washington / CobraLX
Antenna: Dipole HM
Name: Scipio

Galaxy DX 48T

Post by Scipio Kid » Saturday, 15 July 2017, 20:14 PM

Howdy all,
Got a fellow wanting to sell me his 5 year old Galaxy 48T (haven't met him, we're texting back and forth). I looked it up and it's a 10 meter radio. I asked if it's a CB and he says yes, and he says it has sideband. I found the Galaxy info which clearly states it does not. But it has am and fm and all kinds of settings I'm not used to and apparently a lot of power.

Any feedback on this radio would sure be appreciated. He wants a hundred for it. Is it worth the bucks?

Thanks,
Scipio
Happy Trails

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Re: Galaxy DX 48T

Post by sonoma » Saturday, 15 July 2017, 23:53 PM

you will find that so many people that really do not know what they have as far as radios. so many think that if it has upper and lower bands of channels that it is side band. they just do not know as much about radios as they try to make you think.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Sunday, 16 July 2017, 5:52 AM

The only way it would be worth a hundred bucks to me is if I needed the amp section to replace a bad one in a 2995DX, other than that I would pass on it.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Radio: Washington / CobraLX
Antenna: Dipole HM
Name: Scipio

Post by Scipio Kid » Monday, 17 July 2017, 10:34 AM

Well, he let me take it to try out so I've got it but, like Sonoma said, there are a lot of folks who don't understand much about radios even though they love the hobby or at least the talking on them. Heck, I still hear kids say "Breaker 1-9" on channel 38. In fact, I spotted a Motorola Radius 200 for sale as a CB the other day. I texted the guy that it wasn't a CB and he texted back and thanked me saying "you're absolutely right, I checked it out and it's not a CB, It's a two way radio". Now if that didn't make you chuckle, well then you're just a little dumber than I am and that's really an insult.

This guy ran a pilot truck service and was tired of people walking on him on the road so he went to a custom CB shop and asked for a powerful radio no one could interfere with. They set him up with this, installed it in his rig and charged him 700 bucks for the whole thing. It has a #8 power cable (10 times the size of the #16 on a typical Cobra ... bigger than what I have on my 2 hp air compressor) with a 40 amp inline fuse. I can't really test it for a few days but I'll admit to being one who (again, as Sonoma said) "do not know what they have". It has a selector with A,B,C,D,E,F,G & H settings. On "E" it's all 40 CB channels and it would appear it also has 40 channels on all the other settings too. It also has FM and AM and the NB/ANL switch can be set to +10KHz. I figure these are all different frequencies or something but really don't know what they do. On AM it seems to work like a regular CB radio. I listened in on some of the other settings, but wasn't picking up anything. I also noticed the meter light dims when transmitting, even on minimum power, 4 watt swings to 20 or so. The Startlite and channel indicator lights all remain bright when transmitting so I'm thinking this might be a normal feature rather than a power draw. I'v only got a 30 watt power supply so can't do much else yet.

I'll be out of town for a week or so and won't have a chance to really test it, especially the high power features, until later but any input on what these options do would be helpful.

Thanks,
Scipio
Happy Trails

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma » Monday, 17 July 2017, 14:49 PM

here in Oklahoma about the only am chatter you will hear is on lower 19, which is 26.735 . the truck drivers use this freq a lot in my area. for a AM only radio the lower channels are about the most used in my area. SSB rigs talk the most on higher than the normal cb freqs. we use 27.565 a lot when skip is running. some will get on 27.415. thats about it .
have a good trip Kid.
Sonoma

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic