What "Really Old" CB radio do you own? Here is mine!

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
Pioneer621
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: The field “Handle” must be completed.
Radio: Megaphone

What "Really Old" CB radio do you own? Here is mine!

Post by Pioneer621 »

I am curious as to what all “really old” CB radios anyone here has. It don’t have to been one you use regularly, could be stored on your shelf or in your closet, etc. I am just curious as to how old & what some of the antique radios are that you may have. I am curious about actual CB radios, however feel free to post some of your old or classic amateur or various other communications rigs. Try to post the year your radio was made if you know, or around about date, post the make & model as well if you know, pictures would be awesome too.

What brought this post up was me thinking about my old RCA CB rig that has been in my closet for a long time, & got me thinking what other “really” old CB radios are out there.

I will post my rig first: I acquired it several years ago, got it fairly cheap, I don’t remember the price, but I know it was not a whole lot. Mine seems to be a dinosaur CB rig & definitely one of the earlier ones for sure! I will post a picture of mine & a picture I edited out of the Sams manual so you can see what it is suppose to look like.

It is a very old RCA tube type, the model number is just about all worn off, but from the searching I have done, & from the schematic & the Sams service manual I found, the model appears to be: CRM-P2A-5 (MI-555518), I can only make out part of the model number on mine, so I think it is the same one, the internals look the same, so does the outside. This radio is a SINGLE channel unit, it has one crystal for the transmitter & a variable inductor for changing the receive frequency, it is a trimmer you have to adjust inside the back of the unit, you can put a small tuning tool inside a hole in the back of the radio to adjust it. According to the manual the receive can be varied from CB channels 1 to 22. The only transmit crystal I have for it is channel 15. The Sams manual appears to be dated 1961, so this unit is either a late 1950’s radio, or early 1960’s, I am not sure, I cannot seem to find any other dates other then the one I seen in the Sams manual so I am really just guessing on that date.

It appears someone added an SO-239 connector in place of the original connector in the front, the way they had it installed when I first got the radio it looked terrible as the whole SO-239 connector was on the outside of the main chassis, but inside the blue front panel & it was all bulged out really bad, so I bolted it in how it is now as it looks more like the factory would have done, still not perfect though. Mine is also missing the RCA badge that goes where the two holes are at the top right of the front & a sticker that goes above the speaker / MIC combo, may be missing more as well. Overall mine is in rough condition, but it does seem to receive and transmit ok, not the greatest, but it does work, it most likely needs new tubes though as I have never replaced them. I have not used this radio in years, just dug it out to take a picture of it, no one around here talks on channel 15 anyway!

Well, there is the oldest CB radio that I own, now go dig those old radios out & lets see them! Pioneer621

[img][img]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3534/25974995.th.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8451/87344786.th.jpg[/img][/img]
freightliner06
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Re: What "Really Old" CB radio do you own? Here is mine!

Post by freightliner06 »

Mine are not quite as old as that thing is but I have a Royce 639 with the original mic and a couple of those messenger units that look like phones... I have a lafayette or 2 hanging around also...
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

I don't have them anymore but this is the first radio that I got new in 1965 all tubes 5 channels crystal controlled receive and transmit.

http://www.retrocom.com/image ... _star4.jpg

In 1967 I got this new when I moved up to a 23 channel radio and it had the A and B channels which is 24 and 25 now also an all tube radio.

http://www.retrocom.com/image ... tat25A.jpg
Pioneer621
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Pioneer621 »

freightliner06 wrote:Mine are not quite as old as that thing is but I have a Royce 639 with the original mic and a couple of those messenger units that look like phones... I have a lafayette or 2 hanging around also...

My first radio ever was a Royce base. I useto collect Royce radios, I have had several models including the 601 (I think 601, maybe 600), 605, 612, 619, 621, 625, 653, 658, and some other models I can not think of at the moment. I sold most of my Royce radios, but still have a few. That 639 looks nice.

I have several old 23 channel radios from the 1970's, even an old Realistic TRC-11, I think it's 6 channel, probably an early 1970's rig as well.

Got an old Johnson Messanger 123 probably from the late 1960's.

I have an old Lafayette "Phone Style" radio, it is in the basement somwhere, don't remember the model off the top of my head though or the year. The phone style radios are kinda cool.

The RCA is my oldest though. Pioneer621
Pioneer621
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Pioneer621 »

Night Crawler wrote:I don't have them anymore but this is the first radio that I got new in 1965 all tubes 5 channels crystal controlled receive and transmit.

http://www.retrocom.com/image ... _star4.jpg

In 1967 I got this new when I moved up to a 23 channel radio and it had the A and B channels which is 24 and 25 now also an all tube radio.

http://www.retrocom.com/image ... tat25A.jpg

Them are some older radios for sure.Cool looking radios!

I bet it was nice to move up from a radio with 5 channel selector positions to 23.

Out of all the radios I have had, the only one with tubes is my old RCA that posted about.

It's kind of cool looking back at some of these older radios back from the early days of CB radio! Pioneer621
freightliner06
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by freightliner06 »

I'll get a pic of that Royce and post it up... It's in great shape and works well... Never been in it but it does have an overload issue on RX but TX is great... The meter is stuck or stopped working...
linx

Post by linx »

I'm tinkering with a Browning Golden Eagle Mark 3 right now. This is probably the oldest radio I have. I'll try and get some pics of it for ya'll. It's a keeper for sure. I'm trying to get her running but she's having trouble. I think I may end up having to send her out to get worked on. Problem then is finding someone that won't screw it up.

That's some nice old rigs. I like the older rigs. They sound awesome!
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

Pioneer621 wrote:
I bet it was nice to move up from a radio with 5 channel selector positions to 23.
It was but at the time you didn't really need a 23 channel radio a License was required and to communicate from one base station to another base or mobile with different call numbers you were only allowed to use channels 9 thru 14 and channel 23. The rest of the channels were reserved for communication between your own base and mobile and people followed the rules.

Almost all of the crystal controlled radios came with channel 11 and that's where you would do most of your talking to different base or mobile stations.

After a time things got more lax and the sunspot cycle was picking up in the late 60's and people started using all the channels.
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

The oldest radio I have right now is a Cobra 138XLR that is in "like new" condition.
Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99
bigdog853
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: big dog
Radio: cobra 29 mostfet modded

Post by bigdog853 »

wow you guy got me beat but i have a 40ch learjet stereo mobile, a navaho trc-431 for my base ,and a beltek w1326f 23 channel base back up
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

linx wrote:I'm tinkering with a Browning Golden Eagle Mark 3 right now. This is probably the oldest radio I have. I'll try and get some pics of it for ya'll. It's a keeper for sure. I'm trying to get her running but she's having trouble. I think I may end up having to send her out to get worked on. Problem then is finding someone that won't screw it up.

your markIII on the channel side where it says 19 then what does it have in frequency numbers below that?
on the channel selector?
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
linx

Post by linx »

North Texas Mudduck wrote:
linx wrote:I'm tinkering with a Browning Golden Eagle Mark 3 right now. This is probably the oldest radio I have. I'll try and get some pics of it for ya'll. It's a keeper for sure. I'm trying to get her running but she's having trouble. I think I may end up having to send her out to get worked on. Problem then is finding someone that won't screw it up.

your markIII on the channel side where it says 19 then what does it have in frequency numbers below that?
on the channel selector?
I'll have to check for ya and get back. I also have a frequency box I use with the radio. It's a flip switch style box that allows extra channels. I didn't set the radio up this way, it came that way.

I'm not sure what's up with the set. I replaced all the tubes (just about) and all the tubes light up nicely. However, the receive and transmit are acting up. I also have a D104 with it, and not the original browning mic. I'd like to get it 100% so I can use it solely.
Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy959&cobra

Post by Capndave »

The oldest that I own is a uniden PC 122 XL,I had a Robyn 520D that I owned up until about 9 years ago. :pirat:
Pioneer621
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Pioneer621 »

by freightliner06 » August 06 2009

I'll get a pic of that Royce and post it up... It's in great shape and works well... Never been in it but it does have an overload issue on RX but TX is great... The meter is stuck or stopped working...
Yeah, if you can get a PIC of your Royce that would be cool! Sometimes you can free up the stuck meters, if your careful with a small precision screwdriver, you can kind of work the top set screw for the needle movement back & forth, very slightly of course, & many times you can free them up, every once in a while you may have to fiddle with the set screw at the bottom of the movement.

I have freed up MANY meters like this, you just have to be very careful. I even had an old Cobra 2000 GTL that one of the meters froze up, probably from not using it, but took it apart, took out the meter, worked with it for a minute, & it freed right up, you really can’t hurt the meter if you think it is junk, so it is worth a shot to try and fix it.

by linx » August 06 2009

I'm tinkering with a Browning Golden Eagle Mark 3 right now. This is probably the oldest radio I have. I'll try and get some pics of it for ya'll. It's a keeper for sure. I'm trying to get her running but she's having trouble. I think I may end up having to send her out to get worked on. Problem then is finding someone that won't screw it up.

I have heard a few Browning radios on the air, they all sounded nice, though I have never owned one. Cool looking radios, wouldn’t mind tinkering with one of those someday. Hope you get yours up an running ok!

A lot of the old rigs do sound awesome for sure; can be hard to beat them really.

by Night Crawler » August 06 2009

"Pioneer621 wrote:

I bet it was nice to move up from a radio with 5 channel selector positions to 23."

It was but at the time you didn't really need a 23 channel radio a License was required and to communicate from one base station to another base or mobile with different call numbers you were only allowed to use channels 9 thru 14 and channel 23. The rest of the channels were reserved for communication between your own base and mobile and people followed the rules.

Almost all of the crystal controlled radios came with channel 11 and that's where you would do most of your talking to different base or mobile stations.

After a time things got more lax and the sunspot cycle was picking up in the late 60's and people started using all the channels.
That’s true; I tend to forget about the license as when I got into CB you did not need one. The CB has definitely changed a little bit since that time!

by Circuit Breaker » August 06 2009

The oldest radio I have right now is a Cobra 138XLR that is in "like new" condition.

The Cobra 138 XLR looks nice, I have never had that particular model, but I have a couple old 146 GTL’s. It is always nice to have a radio in “like new” condition, I can’t say the same for my 146’s, the owners before me were not the easiest on them! But I tuned them up, fixed what ever I found wrong with them, & the last time I used them they worked well, although that was some time ago.

I think the only XLR Cobra’s I have had was an old 135 XLR base which I do not have anymore, & a 29 XLR that I had to steal the audio chip out of for another guys radio, he sent me his radio a 21 XLR or something to tune up & maybe change the lights in it to blue, and when I got it & powered it up the audio chip was bad, so I stole it out of my 29 XLR, I plan on repairing it, just got to find an audio chip for it. I also have an old 32 XLR which is in my parts pile, I forget what is wrong with it, but it is missing it’s covers & a few knobs, so I decided it was not worth repairing (which I hate to say about any radio).

by bigdog853 » August 06 2009

wow you guy got me beat but i have a 40ch learjet stereo mobile, a navaho trc-431 for my base ,and a beltek w1326f 23 channel base back up

Can’t say I have seen a Learjet radio before, though there are so many radios out there, it is hard to keep track of them all!

by Capndave » August 07 2009

The oldest that I own is a uniden PC 122 XL,I had a Robyn 520D that I owned up until about 9 years ago.
The 520D if I’m not mistaken is the 858 SSB chassis; I have always liked those particular boards for some reason. I have an old Realistic TRC-457 with that board, it is a nice radio, needs a little work on the power supply, I think the filter cap is failing, probably should not even have the thing plugged in; I rarely talk on it anymore, but use the clock on it all the time! I also have a TRC-458, which don’t transmit & I never could track down the fault, but have not looked at it in a long time, also have a President Washington with the 858 board. I have the Cobra 146 GTL, which if I am not mistaken, uses a similar board to the PC 122 XL.
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

The 138XLR is a heavy beast compared to the 148s and Grants. Thicker and more sturdy PC boards, chassis and covers. While as wide as the 148/Grant, it's a bit deeper. And the plate on the back says "Made in Japan." You don't see that anymore.
Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99
Pioneer621
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Pioneer621 »

by Circuit Breaker » August 07 2009

The 138XLR is a heavy beast compared to the 148s and Grants. Thicker and more sturdy PC boards, chassis and covers. While as wide as the 148/Grant, it's a bit deeper. And the plate on the back says "Made in Japan." You don't see that anymore.
How is the performance of the 138XLR? Is the SSB fairly stable, & is the transmit audio quality pretty good, clear with a good overall tone? I have the Grant XL which is like the 148, & I like the way that performs, always seems really good on side band, & the overall tone and clarity of the transmit audio is excellent. Just curious about the 138XLR as I have never had one. I was just doing a little searching on the 138XLR & it appears to use an 858 board; either the same or very similar to my TRC-457 and others, likely the same or very close board design. Definitely an older radio, I always thought that design performed pretty well.
Secret Squirrel
Donor
Donor
Handle: Secret Squirrel
Antenna: Hustler HQ-27 Magnum
Radio: Stryker 89MC in mobile

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Pearce Simpson Pussycat 23 base, still has the someone's license number label of the front. Tuned up by Al at Sparkys. All dead key,little swing.
Secret Squirrel

"Talking to the USA from my Archer Space Patrol walkie"
linx

Post by linx »

on the channel selector?
Ok. On the transmitter side, it says 27185 on 19. On the receiver it says 27505. However, the radio also has a Memtrix PLS-4 Synthesizer in line. Any help?
PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

Post by PONY EXPRESS »

TRAM D201A #2-1.jpg
I sure like how the old D201A Tram works
:cheers: :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Its not a real radio unless it has tubes and USB/LSB on the front panel ....
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

linx wrote:

on the channel selector?
Ok. On the transmitter side, it says 27185 on 19. On the receiver it says 27505. However, the radio also has a Memtrix PLS-4 Synthesizer in line. Any help?
ah so you got one of the new versions of the Mark III
if you can find a banana mic or the browning 776 mic
alot do use the golden eagle d-104 amplified mic
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
Tin_Star
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Tin_Star »

I have a couple of old 23 channel rigs. First, in my restored '77 F250, a Royce 635 SSB. Works great, and is period correct for the truck.
Second, I have a Sears SSB Base/ Mobile that I bought a couple of months ago, NIB off ebay.

And I have a couple of newer 40 channel units, but that's for a different thread.
doctor

Post by doctor »

I have a COBRA 89xlr base and a TRC 441 BOTH WORK GOOD

DOCTOR/CBRT908 :clown:
209 first class
Donor
Donor

Post by 209 first class »

wow, that RCA is sweeet ! i never saw one on ebay,seen different rca models though with like 3- 5 channels, but not that old. is there a number on it anywhere that starts with MI ? if there is google it. it may lead you somewhere. my oldest is a tram tr-27e 23 channel 1963 i think. how does the rca sound for tone? 209 massachusetts
2zero9 workin this top secret station in massachusetts.
Pioneer621
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Pioneer621 »

by Secret Squirrel » August 07 2009

Pearce Simpson Pussycat 23 base, still has the someone's license number label of the front. Tuned up by Al at Sparkys. All dead key,little swing.
The only Pearce Simpson radio I have owned & still do, is the Cheetah SSB 23 channel radio. Mine needs work as I believe it only transmitted on SSB & the AM would not work on TX, it uses an odd 3-PIN MIC & I never had any of those connectors, so it was hard to work on like that, I always forget to get the connector too. It’s in the basement somewhere. Have not hooked it up in years.

by PONY EXPRESS » August 07 2009

I sure like how the old D201A Tram works
There was a local that had a Tram, I believe it was the D201A, though that was years ago. It was a good sounding radio, but it seamed his always had a problem of some sort & had to take it to the shop, but you will have that with some older radios for sure. I think he just happened to get one with problems. Very nice rig though.

by Tin_Star » August 10 2009

I have a couple of old 23 channel rigs. First, in my restored '77 F250, a Royce 635 SSB. Works great, and is period correct for the truck.
Second, I have a Sears SSB Base/ Mobile that I bought a couple of months ago, NIB off ebay.

And I have a couple of newer 40 channel units, but that's for a different thread.

Again, I use to like collecting Royce radios since my first radio was a Royce, though I don’t think I ever had any of the SSB models, never found any for a good price & always passed on them

by doctor » August 10 2009

I have a COBRA 89xlr base and a TRC 441 BOTH WORK GOOD

DOCTOR/CBRT908
I never had the 89 XLR or the TRC-441, only older Cobra base I have is the CAM 89, the power supply needs rebuilt, someone really hacked it up, I will hopefully get to that sooner or later, but other then that it works fine on an external power supply, though I have not used it in a long time.

by 209 first class » August 12 2009

wow, that RCA is sweeet ! i never saw one on ebay,seen different rca models though with like 3- 5 channels, but not that old. is there a number on it anywhere that starts with MI ? if there is google it. it may lead you somewhere. my oldest is a tram tr-27e 23 channel 1963 i think. how does the rca sound for tone? 209 massachusetts
Yeah, it is an older RCA for sure. The sticker on the bottom is mostly worn off, though I can make out an M & some 555 in the model, & the only one I could locate that looks the same is the MI-555518, so that may be the one, or at least very similar. I actually bought mine from ebay, years ago, got a pretty good price on it, can’t remember what I paid though.

As for the tone, I have not used it in years, so I can’t remember exactly what it sounded like, but mine is in rough shape & may need some new tubes & possibly other things, if I am not mistaken it appeared the speaker doubles as the MIC element, as when I had it apart long ago that’s all that was in there was the speaker, I remember having to talk on the loud side for much modulation, I think it received ok, but I don’t remember exactly what it sounded like, no one around here plays 15, so I never really got to check it much, people use to play a nearby channel so I bled one of the guys to get him to come down so I could try it out which he did, but I think he was a little upset at the time as I was trying to bleed him on purpose, then I told him the radio only had channel 15 in it so that’s why I was trying to co-channel, we use to live pretty close, so it was not hard to bleed over.

Again, I think the radio has some problems & needs some work to talk good, I never really worried about it though as I just kind of keep it since it is so old, otherwise I don’t use it. I figured I would slowly try to restore it, but have not had it out until I posted here about it, it is a cool radio though & I have always liked it.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

TRAM D201
TRAM D64
Cobra 139XLR