Not Sure

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Not Sure

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Is a rci 2980 wx any count I don't know nothing about them. I have someone wants to sale me one for $250 works great just don't know, does anyone have one of these and how do they done and is it worth what the guy is asking.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Not Sure

Post by sonoma »

if you look around some one else has one they are having problems with. the price is about average for what I have seen local. on the bay some have gone slightly higher.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

To me that isn't a bad price depending on the how many fingers has been in it. If you look in the "For Sale" area that is about the going price.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

I was going to tell you when I posted a while ago if that is what you want could be a good deal, and as Youngblood stated it may have been turned way up and have a few weak parts. I personally do not like most of the ranger base radios, that is just me. I will run my 2950 as a base some times.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Gotcha he said its all stock and never had anything done to it and works good that's all I know
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Here's mine!

No complaints...But the one problem they have has to do with the weather channels. Depending on what antenna your using if the weather band will work or not... The weather band doesn't like some antenna's...mine does not work with my beam...works fine tho with a dummy load!

"IF" your weather band does not work, you will also notice the Green RXTX light will blink...That is the radio searching for weather channels...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

yep looks just like that was working good I don't know what happen I unplugged it to do something then plugged it back in now no power will not come on I checked all the fuses none are blowed
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

I do not know this radio but does it have a switch on the back for 120 volts and move it over for 12 volts. I have seen this switch moved a little or dirty and lose power to the transformer. check for a switch in the back and even unplug the cord on the back and put it back on to see if it wakes back up.

just looked at the schematic and it shows 2 fuses on the 120 volt sytem a 1 amp and a 4 amp. so make sure both are good. it also shows a power switch on the 120 volt circuit also. so look close.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

there's no switch on the back of it its just 110 it was working fine all I did was change a meter went to turn it back on the nothing. I did notice this morning that one of me coax wasn't plugged in all the way but I don't think that would have had anything to di=o with it would it.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

well you need to get out the volt meter and see if you have voltage going into the radio. check for 120 volts AC and for 12 volts DC
at the power switch . make sure you did not knock off a wire or plug to the front of the radio while you were changing the meter bulb. it will more than likely be something fairly simple , you just need to start check for voltages and knocked off plugs or wires.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

If you touched the wrong thing with the power still on, you may have blown the protection diode...That will keep it from coming on.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I pay passed the transformer with 12v and it come on so the transformer must be bad I guess
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

you have a transister and cap and rectifier diodes in the power supply area make sure it is good. the trans normally is the last to go inside. check for voltage at the diodes and the trans. how many fuses did you find inside. the schematic shows 2 fuses. a 1 amp and a 4 amp. make sure you check the solder joints also in the power supply are and where it hooks to the main board with 12 volts.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

has 2 fuses inside and out where is the rectifier diodes located
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

not sure about this radio but will either be inside the power supply area or just outside of it mounted on the main board. some have a flat top with 4 legs that go to the board for soldering. the bottom of the page shows the power supply area and the diodes.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... 20PG.2.pdf
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

ill see if I can find it
redlght
Donor
Donor
Antenna: astroplane
Radio: a few diifferent

Post by redlght »

I have owned and do own rci stuff. When you get it working check sideband audio tx and rx for garbled audio or an under water sound you can't tune out also watch for band splatter you tx or rx on say ch20 and can be heard 3 channels in either direction and for spurs that go way up into the ham band 10 meter these are known faults.

Most rci stuff has a heat sink in the back with a cover that comes off it hide the power transistors and the bridge some times. Just wondering if you unplugged it on while it was powered on with out first shutting it down by the power switch?
Last edited by redlght on February 20th, 2017, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nk14zp
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: shorty
Radio: saturn turbo

Post by nk14zp »

The older Saturn turbos and RCI 2990s had problems with the filter caps in the power supply.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

there is 2 diodes in the power supply D601 and D602. see if one of them is blown. you need to check for voltages in the power supply area. we can keep giving you ideas but you have got to give some info back so we will know what to look for. check for ac voltage leaving the transformer and voltage the other side of the rectifier diodes where power is converted. you need to make sure voltage is going through the fuse at both ends. also check the output of vr601 which is the adjustment for the 13.8 volts feeding the radio main board. if some thing happened to it you could lose all dc voltages to the main board and it would seem like you have no power out put.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I check them if I did it right there ok. its weird was working fine I turned it off come back turned it on nothing if I put 12v to it from a power supply on the board it will come on

-- Wednesday, 22 February 2017, 10:40 AM --

this transistor was bad