Driving me nuts

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: General Lee

Driving me nuts

Post by Runaway »

I have noise in my system with the semi running and it gets transmitted, and its a lot worse when I am running the 2X4.. I think its alternator noise because it doesn't do it with A) the amp out of line, B) the truck off, C) it goes away with the coax removed. D) It does it even with a direct connection to the batteries. E) Good ground straps. Thats all that needs to be said about grounding. The grass around the truck tires is grounded, if thats even possible. I named all these things because I have been troubleshooting all day and trying different things. Guess its time to invest in a filter. Advise please.. And links if you have some.. Thanks..
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Driving me nuts

Post by sonoma »

I am going to ask a dumb question but you never know until you ask. do you have the ANL/NB switched on to help kill the noise. you will surprised how many people will look for days then see they did not turn those switches on.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

sonoma wrote: April 8th, 2017, 8:31 pm I am going to ask a dumb question but you never know until you ask. do you have the ANL/NB switched on to help kill the noise. you will surprised how many people will look for days then see they did not turn those switches on.
I'm not concerned with the noise I hear, but the noise my system transmits that sounds terrible. Can't really hear it on my side, but others can. Not good. I have way too much invested in my system for others to be telling me I have noise coming through. I listened to it in my mobile today with some help from my son, and it definitely has electrical noise being transmitted. Doesn't do it with the truck off.. The ANL/NB doesn't filter transmitted noise does it?
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

The noise goes up and down with the engine RPMs..
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

from what I just read is that you have the noise in TX. and if you pull the amp out the noise goes away. if this is true then you need to look into the amp or even the coax jumper you are using with the amp. make sure the pl259 ends are soldered good at the grounds inside each connector. have you tried another jumper from the radio to the amp? this points more to the jumper and the amp since you said in your 1st post the noise goes away with the amp out of the system. try a ground jumper from the amp to a good ground in the truck body to see if that will kill the noise also.
this is all I can think of right now. you may have a problem inside the amp such as a cap going bad not filtering the noise.
here is some info from a web site that might help
Electrical & Engine Noise

Do you suffer from those annoying noise issues caused from electrical interference? Well, we have the answer for you!

If you have a noise blocker or automatic noise limiter feature (NB/ANL) on your CB, make sure this feature is enabled. If possible, try to wire the CB power leads directly to the battery. This will reduce the likelihood of electrical noise from other systems entering your CB through the power leads.

Make sure power leads and coax cable are not running parallel to other electrical lines for long distances, as this may result in interference bleeding through. While it's usually not possible to route coax and power leads so that they NEVER come near other electrical components, try to limit this as much as possible.

On the antenna side, you could use a noise clipper/noise suppressor such as the NR400, which amplifies the signal and reduces the noise from electrical interference. Don't forget to get a jumper coax!

On the power side, the AWNSFL noise filter reduces and eliminates engine interference! You can splice this in anywhere in between your radio and the power source.

CB noise filters should be used in conjunction with the preventative steps listed above for best performance.

It's often impossible to eliminate ALL engine noise in problematic vehicles, but the above steps should help reduce it and make your incoming CB signal cleaner.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

I misspoke. It continues to do it with the amp out of line. So sorry. I promoted a lot of confusion with that.. sorry..
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

And thanks for the points to address. I did a lot of research last night on filters ,ferrites and many of the things you pointed out. I feel confident that I can eliminate a lot of the noise. Thanks.
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Post by Scipio Kid »

Howdy Runaway,
I've had some experience with this. How old is your alternator and how is it doing overall. Older alternators can cause noise. Brushes not making good contact, diodes failing and voltage regulators screwing up. I have an old restored '78 Ford 350 that had the same problem as yours and figured it was the ignition system, sounded like spark plug whine and went up and down with engine RPM's. (I swapped several radios in and out of it and was surprised the NB / ANL worked better with different radios. An old Sears Roadtalker sounded better than a Cobra 29, but the noise was there with all the radios.) So I worked on it, put in resistor plugs, better plug wires etc. But it didn't make much difference. Suddenly one day the noise quit. Stayed gone for an hour or so and then was back full force. Did this for a couple of weeks off and on and was really a mystery. I starter getting dead batteries every couple of days too for no reason. Then the alternator failed. When I got the new one installed, no more noise and none since.

Recently I've had the same problem with a newer Ford. Sounds like spark plug interference again only this truck's a diesel so I'm thinking probably not spark plugs. The radio has a lot of mods so I thought it might be acting up but again, swapped other radios and the noise remains.. It isn't so bad I can't use the radio and the NB/ANL just about kill it on my side but my boy confirms the noise when I transmit. I haven't replaced the alternator yet but I'm sure it's the same thing. You can hear the alternator buzzing or whining with the hood open even over the engine noise. I'm hoping to get a new alternator this week & I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.
Happy Trails
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Alternator noise is a whine sound and it increases/decreases with engine speed, spark plug make a static clacking sound and does the same the same with engine speed, fuel pumps (electronic) make a steady whine sound, now here is the new sound, electronic fuel injectors and they make a multitude of clicking/clacking sounds. It would make it easier to suggest if I knew what the vehicle was and a model year. If you search ( http://www.cbradiotalk.com/search.php ) for the vehicle someone else might have found and cured the problem.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

I know I'm picking up electric fuel pump noise and alternator noise. It's a 2006 International semi with a Cummins 500 in it. Surely I'm not picking it up through my antenna system, right? I mean I'm running good Belden rg8x and I have tried everything as far as keeping my runs from being parallel with other electrical wires and components but it still does it.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

just unplug the coax from the radio and see if the noise goes away. then you will know if it is coming in from the power wires or the antenna and coax.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

sonoma wrote: April 10th, 2017, 8:54 pm just unplug the coax from the radio and see if the noise goes away. then you will know if it is coming in from the power wires or the antenna and coax.
Just did that and it continues to whine. I suppose that's my answer right there. The funny thing is it doesn't do it all the time or I can actually hear it through my external speaker, most of the time it's just others can hear it. It's been transmitted.
Runaway
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Runaway »

I ordered a filter Saturday night..