Optimize CBRT for the rapidly growing mobile device market

Want to suggest a group, or additional features for site?

Moderators: Bozo, JR Moderator

Admins want to know about how many ppl are interested in mobile tecnology

How many ppl would use mobile devises to connect to CBRT ?
60%
Dont use or not interested in mobile devises to connect to CBRT
40%

Total votes: 62

DieselBoss
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Optimize CBRT for the rapidly growing mobile device market

Post by DieselBoss » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 19:21 PM

FACT: The converged smart phones and wireless handheld market grew rose 60% in 2007, with over 115 million units shipped worldwide last year alone. The market has been growing 50-60% year-on-year and shows no signs of slowdown. For example Apple alone expects to ship 10 million iPhones in 2008. Clearly, more and more Internet access (yes even by CB users lol) is going to be with mobile devices.

PROBLEM: This is a GREAT site - undoubtedly the BEST of its kind on the net. However, in my experience, it doesn't seem to work well with mobile Internet-capable devices. I've personally tried Microsoft Windows Mobile devices as well as the new Apple iPhone 3G.

For example, to load up cbradiotalk.com (the main page), there are a whopping 76 HTTP requests. The HTML size is a little bit large (44K) but not too bad...however there are 829K in ~60 images!

As another example, there's about 81K worth of scripting - huge. Also, some of the scripting does not work well with mobile browsers. When you use an iPhone, while the page displays just fine, some of the scripting causes the page to keep refreshing/reloading almost immediately after it is first rendered. The problem this causes is that you go to zoom in on the section of the page that has a link you want to click on - and before you get there, the page reloads all over again. There's just way too much scripting for a mobile browser to handle.

I don't think it's a phbb issue, as there are a couple of other non-radio related forums I can visit with mobile browsers - and they are running phbb.

Don't get me wrong, I love this site. I just would like to be able to view it with mobile devices. With the stats you can readily lookup on the growth of this market, it would seem like others do or will have exactly the same need. So my humble recommendation is to cut back on the page size (about 1 Megabyte currently!) and cut back on the scripting. I think those 2 things alone would make this site much more accessible to the rapidly growing mobile device market.

Just my 2 cents - would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 20:16 PM

Well a great subject to be looked at seriously I feel too. I own a Motorola Q phone and spend quite a bit of time away from home (7-10 days at times) and away from the desk top computer as well. I can read all that I want on our site and on more than one occasion I have wanted to respond to other members needs including buying equipment as well as selling some items. I have tried every configuration I can think of and yet it wont work. I cant even pm any members. I've had to call one member and ask him to pm another member to ask about a item for sale and other things. Thats real aggravating to say the least. As you stated there are several other sites that are I-phone friendly but my primary interests are here at CBRT. This site does offer alot more than any of the others but other knowledge gained is knowledge learned. And I might add that there is but one phone thats currently capable of performing what I/we are wishing to achieve but it costs $900.00. I'm told that it only takes a small effort in the config. files of the site admin. to allow our wireless units to be compatible. I confronted 1 senior member/boss about this a while back and the response was...."cell phones dont support Java Script and this site uses it and there is nothing that can be done to accommodate this" . I mentioned it to another moderator and didnt even get a response. Perhaps he just forgot to check on it. I would like to know exactly what is entailed to get it to work on the sites behalf. I hope nobody takes this as negative attitude...if so please re-read the above as I consider this site my PRIMARY source of knowledge and info. In fact there have been times that I needed some help real bad with an issue while out on the road but had to settle for either nothing or a much less knowledgeable source. I do hope this thread will find its way to the folks that can bring the same quality of availability for mobile phones as others have so we can participate while away from home as well as we can while at home. I spend my time from the house so every one will have food at their grocery stores when they wanna eat. I just like to keep in touch with my CBRT brothers and the forum events while I'm doing it. Thanks for your time
Last edited by Watermelonman53 on Sunday, 31 August 2008, 20:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Get Hacked and be heard like crap.......from 15Mhz-60Mhz

indiejeep
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by indiejeep » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 20:32 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with DieselBoss' sentiment. A great site such as this should not get too limited to the scope of it's audience.

Peanut
Donor
Donor
Name: Matthew

Post by Peanut » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 20:40 PM

I also have a Moto q and can view all I want, just cant post or pm. That would be cool to get that available for those of us out and about away from the computer.
John 3:16

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Any radio I want.
Name: Red Bud
Home Phone: 8702102009
Referrals: 1

Post by Pro-Tech » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 20:49 PM

Can I assume the Moto Q is Motorola's phone to compete with the Iphone? My contract is up with Verizon and thinking of my next phone and carrier. 8)

Peanut
Donor
Donor
Name: Matthew

Post by Peanut » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 20:53 PM

Its a pda smart phone type, I know nothing about the Iphone, so I cant really compare. It has windows mobile and such. It works well for me.
John 3:16

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 21:41 PM

Pro-Tech wrote:Can I assume the Moto Q is Motorola's phone to compete with the Iphone? My contract is up with Verizon and thinking of my next phone and carrier. 8)
yes a pretty good phone ...the Apple I-3G is the newest deal just big $$ without a contract. I've had my Q for 1.5 years...does very well. I have HEAVY usage on it. I have ALLTEL

Rex_foxhound
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: SWP G. Lee
Name: Rex

Post by Rex_foxhound » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 22:11 PM

I'll make sure the other mods and admin know about this and we'll see what we can do to help you guys out.
It's a 10K World!!!!

Shaft
Donor
Donor
Radio: SWP General Lee
Antenna: Predator 10k
Name: Bryan
Referrals: 2

Post by Shaft » Sunday, 31 August 2008, 22:35 PM

I know that CBRT doesn't optimize well with my PSP.
A CB'er and his money are soon parted.

:ncool: :ncool: :ncool: :ncool: :ncool:

Phaze91460
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Phaze91460 » Monday, 01 September 2008, 7:41 AM

Changing a web site to handle mobile technology is pretty involved. It is not a simple twist here, change there and away you go. It requires a major re wright or building a new site.

This may not be an option for CBRT at this time however since so many of us are mobile most of our days, we would like to see some input from our members on how many would actually use mobile technology to access this site.

Thanks guys.
Image Image

rayray1963
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Old School
Name: Ray

Post by rayray1963 » Monday, 01 September 2008, 9:27 AM

I use a BlackBerry and you might as well forget trying to veiw this site with one. Way to much data to process after you log in.
Freedom Isn't Free, Someone Has To Pay

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Monday, 01 September 2008, 12:34 PM

I was just able to VOTE on this topic with the MotoQ phone but that is the first and only time it has worked in a response mode for me. Now then.....the site loads very fast and I can browse through any of the topics and threads. I just cant respond to ANY threads or topics nor can I PM members or answer members PM's sent to me. That is the most frustrating issue that I have. I do get a version of the "POST A REPLY" page and I can type in my response etc. however when I hit SUBMIT it flashes and puts me back on my "POST A REPLY PAGE" and stays in that mode. As far as the scripts etc go.......I seem to have no issues there.........just can't respond/reply to anything.
I would like to thank the ADMINS, MODERATORS and MEMBERS for taking an active interest in this issue and as it is apparently an involved process I feel that it will open more doors of information and knowledge exchange amongst our members as a large majority of them have something of value to share with our community and its important to have all the avenues of opportunity available to do so and this is one more tool that is as important as the desktop computer to exchange and share that knowledge among our CBRT members. Unfortunately we all are not blessed with a career that keeps us close to the home/office and a conventional means of internet communication i.e. destops/laptops and where wireless users may not be a majority in our forums we still enjoy the same benefits of sharing in the activities here in CBRT and do enjoy it while on the go.

DieselBoss
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by DieselBoss » Monday, 01 September 2008, 12:35 PM

I am thinking that just a couple changes would help dramatically, without a full redesign or separate mobile version of the website (although that would be sa-weet too 8))

1) Put the site on a diet. What does that mean? Cut down on the number of objects, as well as the size of those objects.
  • a) The number of HTTP requests to load the main page is 76! :shock: That's an astounding number of objects on one page, mobile or not mobile!
    b) Most of those objects are images, and there are 829k worth of images! That is just plain MASSIVE in website terms!
    c) The combination of these 2 things make loading up the site slow, particularly on a mobile device. Not only does it have to pull 76 different objects on the main page alone, but the total size of everything is almost 1 megabyte. Gargantuan for a web page.
2) Cut back on all the custom scripting (remove it).
  • For example, this site *is* viewable on the iPhone, however, because of one or more of the script(s), the site keeps refreshing. You've all seen the commercials of how you can drag/pinch/zoom around on the iPhone touch screen in order to see a full-sized website, right? Well the problem is before you even get zoomed to the section you want, the whole page re-loads. This does not happen to me on other forums running phpbb software, so that tells me it must be the bells and whistles that have been added on here.
Those 2 things alone would probably make a huge difference, and it would not be a whole new site or a complete redesign. Would it be a perfect mobile-friendly site? Maybe not, but I think it would work, or at least be a huge step towards making it mobile-compatible.

slydog
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by slydog » Monday, 01 September 2008, 13:21 PM

When I am out and about the last think I care about is the internet.
I was sent home for not playing well with others.

350v8s10
Donor
Donor

Post by 350v8s10 » Monday, 01 September 2008, 15:11 PM

Well, I spend a great deal of time working away from my PC. I don't have a laptop. I am currently using my iPhone 3G to communicate and surf the web. I can read CBRT, but it is the slowest loading website I visit. I would greatly appreciate being able to post from my iPhone 3G.

PS DieselBoss hit the nail on the head. CBRT is (by far) the slowest loading website I go to on my otherwise fast loading, home office PC. I enjoy it immensely, but would like to see it improved.

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Monday, 01 September 2008, 16:05 PM

350v8s10 wrote:Well, I spend a great deal of time working away from my PC. I don't have a laptop. I am currently using my iPhone 3G to communicate and surf the web. I can read CBRT, but it is the slowest loading website I visit. I would greatly appreciate being able to post from my iPhone 3G.

PS DieselBoss hit the nail on the head. CBRT is (by far) the slowest loading website I go to on my otherwise fast loading, home office PC. I enjoy it immensely, but would like to see it improved.
WOW thats strange cause my Q phone loads it fast ,quite fast in fact and with great clarity and readability. Wonder if there is not some small configuration on the phone itself that may be causing it to load slow. I just put my phone thru a test... From a fresh start with no other web pages loaded I selected CBRT from my favorites and in 11 seconds I was into the forum index. I then switched to the "FOR SALE" area and I was there in 8 seconds. I also use my Q on Ebay. Now that takes a while to load a page. Again from a clean start I loaded the HF amp section on ebay and it took 1 min. 8 sec. to load 675Kb onto the screen. It takes a little less time if you select an item but it is slow all the same. Also I cant make offers on items just bids. The cursor just wont allow it to land on those tabs.

JenBos
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by JenBos » Monday, 01 September 2008, 18:36 PM

I just tried on my blackberry but I think one of the ads is freezing it up or something. It loads some of the text and then freezes a while so I had to turn it off.

350v8s10
Donor
Donor

Post by 350v8s10 » Thursday, 04 September 2008, 0:17 AM

test iPhone 3g page refreshes too quickly

350v8s10
Donor
Donor

Post by 350v8s10 » Thursday, 04 September 2008, 0:41 AM

test iPhone 3g

djrebel236
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by djrebel236 » Thursday, 04 September 2008, 0:58 AM

personally, when im on the road, i use my cb for my communications, as for as cellphonez, other mobile phones go, i dont use them, but if ya want my $0.02, take off the "Last 10 Active Topics", & the whos in the chatroom, and maybe the mug of the day, that might help with the loading time, cause i know this site n a few other sites are really slow loading if it loads at all for other computers that are still on a slow 56k modem, and the same on older machines like 95/98 os'es, but its what you guys/gals want...Dj
I'm banned for talking smack!

350v8s10
Donor
Donor

Post by 350v8s10 » Thursday, 04 September 2008, 6:41 AM

Okay, I am back home and using my PC. I could access CBRT from my iPhone 3G but could not get but a few words typed before the screen would reload (or refresh) and I would lose everything. I won't try again, until I read that some thing has changed to make access from these type devices work better. Note: I don't need access from my iPhone 3G, it would just be convenient to check in and pass the time when I am away from home.

indiejeep
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by indiejeep » Friday, 05 September 2008, 4:43 AM

I am an iPhone owner. Though the site is one of the slower sites to load either mobile or home I am able to view the site. I am not able to post mobile and it refreshes mid-post.

Personally I think the fact that many CB'rs do live mobile lives makes an even stronger argument for the ability to use this site with smart phones.

I also agree that a total redesign would be nice, but the most important thing is to significantly reduce the page size and complexity.

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Sunday, 05 October 2008, 19:07 PM

Seems like this got to the back burner in a hurry.........SO would one of you admins care to email me since I cant use my cell/MotoQ on this site and let me know what expense is involved so us folks that have this type equipment can enjoy participating in this site while away from the home. I've been gone for 22 days and have missed opportunities to help others and buy equipment due to my phone not working with this site. If its a one time thing that has to be done that involves some $$ I would be willing to donate to that cause so myself as well as others could enjoy this great site whilst out on the road keeping grocery's on the supermarket shelves. I'm not familiar with to what extent the site would need to be changed but I would be thankful to find out. Appreciate your time

ringer
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by ringer » Sunday, 05 October 2008, 19:29 PM

mobile device or not, the front page could get cleaned up BIG TIME. I still enjoy it and it does load on my iphone but messy.

10 Gauge
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by 10 Gauge » Thursday, 20 November 2008, 5:20 AM

There is a hook available for vBulletin (possibly phpBB as well) called WiForums (ww w dot wiforums dot co m). I currently have an active copy of this software running on one of my own vB forums and it works absolutely amazing. I first came across and purchased the license to this software about 5 years ago when I had a Nextel BlackBerry so that I could access my forum from work or on the road. Not only does it give you the ability to access your forum it's fast and allows quick viewing of threads and easy replies and access to your PM's. It's also feature rich and lets each user customize their experience for their phone (such as allowing certain images, what display formats, etc.). Each post that is made on the forum from a mobile user is also tagged in small font at the header of each post that shows basic information such as what kind of device the post was made from and the network they were on when making the post, kinda fun and neat.

I suggest you look in to this software if you are serious about giving users the ability to utilize the forum on their mobiles.

Cheers!

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Thursday, 20 November 2008, 11:23 AM

Wow it works now.......THANKYOU!!!!!!!

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Thursday, 20 November 2008, 13:32 PM

The admin aim to please :)
Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

Watermelonman53
Donor
Donor

Post by Watermelonman53 » Thursday, 20 November 2008, 18:59 PM

OK HERE IS THE CATCH.....I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT ON MY OWN. ANYWAY IT WORKS. WHAT YOU DO IS CHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS ........DISABLE BBC CODE...
I TRIED IT FOR THE HECK OF IT AND....PRESTO!!!!! WE BE POSTIN' OFF THE CELL PHONE NOW......YEEHAA!!! NO MORE BORING EVENINGS ON THE ROAD WANTING TO COMMENT ON ISSUES AND CANT AND MISSING OUT ON GOOD DEALS.

snookgetter
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Gen Lee
Name: Snook

Post by snookgetter » Thursday, 20 November 2008, 19:18 PM

I do agree the site refreshes far too often, can that be fixed?

Beybbear
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Cool

Post by Beybbear » Thursday, 20 November 2008, 20:07 PM

I like this idea. I myself have the Instinct by Samsung for Sprint " just like and Iphone only better". I can acess the site quite well. I can read, post and send pms with it. I like that you guys are looking for ways to adapt and connect to the masses.

Bozo
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: General Lee
Antenna: Monkey Made MM6
Name: James W
Cell Phone: (208) 845-0004
Referrals: 699

Post by Bozo » Monday, 15 December 2008, 23:16 PM

I have already considered this option... I have not yet found a suitable option for that just yet, there is not a secure enough option available... You can still access the forum from a smart phone, like a blackberry...
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there. Be sure to tell them you saw their name on The CB Radio Talk Forum. Please use our contact us link in the menu if you are ether having registration issues, or need help with logging in. Otherwise please utilize our "Talk to Admin" forum to address your other concerns.
Sign Guestbook

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by linx » Tuesday, 16 December 2008, 9:38 AM

My dumb phone access' the site. On my phone the shoutbox is available but not expanded...so it doesn't cause issues.

I just bought a new phone and was going to go with the blackberry curve, but went with a lg voyager instead. It's not a smart phone, and can't do what the curve can do, but after weeks of debate I pulled the trigger on the phone with the bigger keyboard.
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

Punkin Head
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: ICOM IC-775DSP
Antenna: Little Tarheel II
Name: Kevin

Post by Punkin Head » Monday, 12 January 2009, 12:58 PM

I have the LG Dare with verizon wireless and have no trouble using the site, works great, I can post and all from my phone.
Drake C Line
Little Tarheel II
ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-746 Pro
ICOM IC-2200H
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-3R+

T Rodd
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 ltd Chrome
Name: Travis

Post by T Rodd » Monday, 12 January 2009, 13:03 PM

About the only reason i get on pc is for CBRT... Blackberry for all else.
"When asked "Why do you carry a 45?", The Old Ranger responded,"Because they don't make a 46."

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

k-9
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by k-9 » Monday, 12 January 2009, 15:49 PM

I have the BB curve and it wont even let me log in...Grrrrr.. iam never home and would love to get on with my cell but cant...oh well i guess.....

Six Liter
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Six Liter » Monday, 12 January 2009, 16:32 PM

My BlackBerry Curve works fine to access the site. I can log in fine, I can view topics and post also.......just can't do the chat thing.

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Any radio I want.
Name: Red Bud
Home Phone: 8702102009

Post by Pro-Tech » Monday, 12 January 2009, 16:36 PM

I love my iPhone and will never use anything else. Unless they come out with a thirty gig, but I'll never use another phone. It takes me any where on the net exactly like my laptop. Now I haven't tried posting on CBRT with it but I can read and navigate around flawlessly.

Punkin Head
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: ICOM IC-775DSP
Antenna: Little Tarheel II
Name: Kevin

Post by Punkin Head » Monday, 12 January 2009, 16:36 PM

yea thats all I cant do is chat. but shout box and post and reply to posts and send pm's I can do all that. so I am happy lol
Drake C Line
Little Tarheel II
ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-746 Pro
ICOM IC-2200H
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-3R+

natureboy757
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: general lee
Name: daryl

Post by natureboy757 » Monday, 12 January 2009, 16:54 PM

Iright now my only internet connection is with my blackberry, my pc is on the fritz.

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Galaxy 88, 99v, GL

Re: Optimize CBRT for the rapidly growing mobile device market

Post by SARGE » Thursday, 01 October 2009, 21:05 PM

Just finished reading part of this thread, and for the iPhone users, I have not had a lick of trouble loading the site or replying to post. Now I can't attach pics to post, though I can send them in emails but I am still new to the phone and the whole PDA world. Am loving the screen, verses the small buttons of the blackberrys.

SARGE
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Galaxy 88, 99v, GL

Post by SARGE » Thursday, 01 October 2009, 21:13 PM

One more thing, has anyone tried to access the chat room using a smart phone? What was your outcome? I have tried on a few occasions and saw only the "donate" symbol that is normally at the bottom of the screen.

Bozo
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: General Lee
Antenna: Monkey Made MM6
Name: James W
Cell Phone: (208) 845-0004
Referrals: 699

Post by Bozo » Thursday, 01 October 2009, 21:51 PM

SARGE wrote:One more thing, has anyone tried to access the chat room using a smart phone? What was your outcome? I have tried on a few occasions and saw only the "donate" symbol that is normally at the bottom of the screen.

Chatroom wouldn't be available on smartphone, because you have to have Java. Most phones don't have Java.

If you are posting picts, you will have to post the code yourself, cause there is javascript that is involved, and might be the source of your issue.
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there. Be sure to tell them you saw their name on The CB Radio Talk Forum. Please use our contact us link in the menu if you are ether having registration issues, or need help with logging in. Otherwise please utilize our "Talk to Admin" forum to address your other concerns.
Sign Guestbook

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by linx » Friday, 02 October 2009, 3:12 AM

I use Opera on my BlackBerry on CBRT all the time and it works great. On the stock browser it looks pretty lame, but it only took a few seconds to download Opera.
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic