Thread lock to the top

Want to suggest a group, or additional features for site?

Moderators: Bozo, JR Moderator

BLUE-FOX
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 29 wx nw st
Name: Jesse James

Thread lock to the top

Post by BLUE-FOX » Wednesday, 02 September 2009, 8:15 AM

I have noticed, thru my use of the search button that there are some very elegant write ups and threads that were started by amature radio operators, and answered thoroughly by senior operators/techs that should be locked to the top of the forum of that particular subject. It would simplify searches and help users quickly identify an answer to questions that are commonly asked ie: typing cobra 29 mods will bring up 3000+ thread topics even when usin the advanced search button I am a firm believer of the searh button but we all know some of us are hard headed an start a new thread, or know what were lookin for an I don know about web site making but it would eliminate alot of threads from being made an make room for other threads that we would enjoy.
SEMPER FI!

drdx
Donor
Donor

Re: Thread lock to the top

Post by drdx » Wednesday, 02 September 2009, 9:33 AM

Welcome, I love the insight and recommendation. This forum, to the best of my knowledge is a democracy in simple form. Recent high amounts of activity keep a topic at the op, where as interest falls off it decends down the list. Often the same topic is brought up, but due to the changing players here and the changes in technical practices, it warrants it being again raised to the table for discussion. Keeping the words of "experts" in this hobby is sketchy, kinda like a Baptist preacher, and yes, I grew up southern baptist, some are slick, some really mean it, but neither need a license. There is no level of certification or qualification that makes them an expert on their topic as being a Ham offers no credential of being superior in knowledge in this realm of radio hobby fondness. In this hobby, many falsely consider hams experts and that's far from the pure truth. Even if that opinion is an expert, cb'er, ham, both, or not, they rarely stick around and technology changes, so we need fresh activity to move forward.

Would you like a search button that yeilded the opinion of an expert, and at that time the expert was right on the mark, but since the post the information has changed or improved to the point that it is no longer valid? This hobby advances and changes constantly.

By the way, I'm just a poster here, not an admin nor have any stock in it, and the opinions are just my own.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

BLUE-FOX
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by BLUE-FOX » Wednesday, 02 September 2009, 10:06 AM

No I like ur point a very good point actually, I like the articulation, on this post an my other post, consider yourself added as a bud lol, I do believe some things can be locked to the top not all but some things ESP the few I read were the diss ussion I read was debating an finnally resolved with someone testing the theory an posting the results never the less ur right about "experts" tho, read one yesterday lol
SEMPER FI!

linx
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: 2 tin cans + string
Name: Rob
Referrals: 6

Post by linx » Wednesday, 02 September 2009, 10:09 AM

Blue Fox,
I like the idea. I tell ya what, you, and anyone else inclinded to do it, make a list of important topics and we will see what we can do. I hate to have a whole page of locked threads at the top of the list, but maybe we can move them to the intro to radios section or maybe start another section with them? Just throwing some ideas out there. There were some great threads locked at one time, but we removed the sticky's on them b/c it had gotten to the point that in order to see new post you had to scroll down 2-3 times.

I like it.
Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
VOTE FOR CBRT TODAY!
CBRT ON TWITTER!!!
My Twitter Too

BLUE-FOX
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by BLUE-FOX » Wednesday, 02 September 2009, 10:42 AM

Will do, gimme a week, I'll come up with a few good ones from each catagory, DrDx you have a pretty strait up opinion an have been here a while u mind pointing out some that you come across in your travels? I'm sure there's a few of the seasonal users can point out a couple also ESP scince I don't have alot of knowledge on the more technical disscussions.
SEMPER FI!

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Wednesday, 02 September 2009, 11:17 AM

I think it is a good general plan, but with this hobby, even the most simple things seem to have varying opionions. Here are a few topics that are crystal clear to me but not agreed upon by all, and even though I think I may be correct, as others with their opinions may as well, I think a newcomer deserves to hear them all:

1. Coil Antennas vs. the original 102 inch whip. This is a long debated topic.
2. Heavy carrier vs. swing.
3. Using capacitors to cushion amperage draw. This one is being debated today.
4. Wire size.
5. Antenna brand superiority.
6. Hams: jerks or gentlemen?
7. Radio brands
8. Amps: AB or C, or tube?
9. Freeband, cool or uncool?
10. Who is the best tech/radio dealer?
11. Is peak really true? Bird? Dosy?????
12. How much power can you get out of a cobra 29?
13. Horizontal vs. vertical, which is best for local and dx?
14. Microphones: power, noise cancelling, brands, ???
15. To echo or not to echo. That one is clear to me but not to most.
16. Drive levels. This one gets huge, how much per pil for a 2290? a 1446? a 2879?
17. Mosfet? Fad or not?
18. Is the superbowl politically ran? I'm sure You know thE anSwer to that, regadless of signal level.

I have an opinion on all of those but so does everyone else, and it evolves all the time. Don't the new folks have a right to see it all? Those items will never be settled, but maybe, just maybe a general framework could be crafted. Don't we have something like that in that radios 101 intro?

The only thing we agree on is that low swr is good. The rest is up for debate at all times, including who thinks Lisa from Ice Road Truckers is cute.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

BLUE-FOX
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by BLUE-FOX » Wednesday, 02 September 2009, 13:46 PM

Lol DrDx, Lisa ha some can be added to the top but Im thinking more so like info In the mods section ie how to's or in the microphone section lock the thread on best mics for ur buck ( I would link them but I'm on my phone, can't wait to get home and get to work!)
SEMPER FI!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic