improving reception on aftermarket am/fm radio

Just a off topic area for people to come and post.

Moderator: JR Moderator

443 Arizona
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

improving reception on aftermarket am/fm radio

Post by 443 Arizona » Monday, 02 October 2017, 4:29 AM

seems the aftermarket car stereo radios are pretty poor when it comes to pulling in distant/weak stations.
the circuitry is probably made so cheaply that it can't operate?
well compared to my stock radio in my ford ranger, my new radio(mfg. name is "Dual") has a hard time picking up the same (distant) stations.
well, to justify a full day of messing with it, my solution was to put on a long antenna.
it looks stupid too :lol: , i went :confused: "super-trucker" on it, :idea: :lol: :lol:
ended up adapting the classical old telescopic 3-section chrome with the spring. has a ball pivot too.
so this ant. is sticking fwd at 45* and fully extended and i clipped on an 18" jumperwire to the end to form a hafast loop.
so now, finally, i can hear my favorite radio station.

so now to the question,
how to improve the radio reception :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
i will leave the antenna on it for a few days, knowing that everybody will be looking and laughing. and saying whaaaaat? :doh:
i suppose i might try the old fm signal booster that they used to sell back in the 70's.
i really dont want to spend more money on a better radio. even thou thats probably the best solution.
p.s. i have not even tried keying the cb :icon_e_surprised:

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: improving reception on aftermarket am/fm radio

Post by MDYoungblood » Monday, 02 October 2017, 6:06 AM

This is a new radio? Read the manual or instructions that came with it and see if it doesn't have a pre-amp built in. Also if the old antenna to the new radio used an adapter (like Dodge does), it could be bad. The average length of a vehicle's AM/FM antenna is around 31".

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic