Davemade 2x4 base amp

This is the place to ask questions about linear amplifiers, or power supplies

Moderator: JR Moderator

rocketdeerdog
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Davemade 2x4 base amp

Post by rocketdeerdog » Monday, 24 November 2008, 6:51 AM

I have a DM 2x4 base amp and I want to put a switch in it so I can turn the 2 pill driver on and off. When I had it at the techs shop I'm pretty sure I saw him remove one wire to do this so he could drive it with his 2990. If I'm correct cant I just put a switch on that wire and turn it off an on? And does anyone know which wire it would be?

Thanks

madsage
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Magnum S45, Cobra2K
Name: RiFFRaFF
Home Phone: 480-580-3607

RE Davemade 2x4 base amp

Post by madsage » Monday, 24 November 2008, 8:06 AM

rocketdeerdog wrote:I have a DM 2x4 base amp and I want to put a switch in it so I can turn the 2 pill driver on and off. When I had it at the techs shop I'm pretty sure I saw him remove one wire to do this so he could drive it with his 2990. If I'm correct cant I just put a switch on that wire and turn it off an on? And does anyone know which wire it would be?

Thanks

Good question, I have a fatboy 2x4 i'd like to be able to switch the driver stage out of and have a 4x2879 HD. It looks like a guy could put a dpst switch between the inputs of the primary and secondary stage combiners. the input combiners for driver and secondary stages look identicle on the fatboy. as well as the values of the mica caps. It is also the same components and design almost to the tee on my dave made 2x8. (have to say the DM is night and day in build quality, somebody at DM makes it look like an art project) but the amp design is nearly identicle.

Any input from teh engineers\builders? (no pun intended)
Thanks in advance,

the 933 RiFFRaFF
in the stickers

Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher » Monday, 24 November 2008, 8:44 AM

Generally a relay for just the 2 pill and a relay for the 4 pill work really well. Each with its own keying circuit.

rocketdeerdog
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by rocketdeerdog » Monday, 24 November 2008, 10:32 AM

I dont want to be able to use the 2 pill by itself, I just want to be able to turn it off and use the 4 pill by itself or with a radio with a 2 pill built in.

tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor
Radio: mine lol
Name: your name
Home Phone: 999999999999999

Post by tonyhatchetman » Monday, 24 November 2008, 17:09 PM

its quite simple really ............all you got to do is add the relay beethween the 2 amps just like the first one and i even used the same keying circuit for both relays ................note that you will be able to use the 2 pill or the 4 pill or the 2 in the 4 ........pm me for more info and i will help any way i can........good luck
hatchet told you that !!!!! 273 round the big d wavin !!!!!!!!

madsage
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Magnum S45, Cobra2K
Name: RiFFRaFF
Home Phone: 480-580-3607

Post by madsage » Tuesday, 25 November 2008, 7:44 AM

Crusher wrote:Generally a relay for just the 2 pill and a relay for the 4 pill work really well. Each with its own keying circuit.

Crusher, just curious, why a relay and not a switch?
basicaly what i was thinking was just switching the input from the driver input combiner to the final stage input combiner.
completly bypassing the driver. swicth back and you are now inputing into the driver again, a double pole single throw could do this.

thanks,

the 933 RiffRaFF
in the stickers
Last edited by madsage on Tuesday, 25 November 2008, 23:07 PM, edited 2 times in total.

tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor
Radio: mine lol
Name: your name
Home Phone: 999999999999999

Post by tonyhatchetman » Tuesday, 25 November 2008, 18:59 PM

well the thing is that the input goes through the drive stage and out the drive stage in the final stage and then out the box..............so just switching it out will

cause your input to be swiched and will cause a BIG problem and blow your driver up ...............it will key into the swich like its the 4pill combiner so poof

you keyed into the switch and then from there to no where like not even haveing an antenna.
hatchet told you that !!!!! 273 round the big d wavin !!!!!!!!

Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher » Wednesday, 26 November 2008, 9:24 AM

For less than $10 at your local radio shack, you can get the parts to do the conversion. Switches are OK, for changing drive level on input. But as Tonyhatchetmen stated, switch for switching driver in and out of circuit will be nothing but problems.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic