Dave Made M-80 as a driver

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
BobOstro61

Dave Made M-80 as a driver

Post by BobOstro61 »

In my other post in this room I asked about the bigges amp I could run with the stock alternator in my Ford Ranger. Now I'm wondering if I could use my Dave Made M-80 to drive a bigger amp without having to change the alternator. Any ideas?
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

straight 4 pill
BobOstro61

Post by BobOstro61 »

No new alternator needed either? Cool! How many watts does a 4 pill do? How would you hook something like that up? It sounds like I'd have 8 gauge wire and coax running all over my truck.
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

About 700-800 watts. Its best to get someone to match it all up. It gets alittle harder to match a driver to a amp, then a radio to a amp with a built in driver.
BobOstro61

Post by BobOstro61 »

Nothings ever simple is it.
SmallTruckBigRadio

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio »

BobOstro61 wrote:Nothings ever simple is it.
Cobra 25 is pretty simple...

But so is watching sitcoms on TV right?

If the cool stuff was simple, everybody would be doing it.

You're wanting to do this with the SWP General Lee right?
Could the sale of the M80 get you on the way to getting an M400 class amplifier? I believe that class of amp is the biggest you can run on a stock alternator, the General Lee should drive it well, and it gets you into the 1000 watt realm.
You may need to do a little larger than #8 wire though.
BobOstro61

Post by BobOstro61 »

According to Mr.RadioActive and Thumper, the biggest I could use with the stock alternator is the 2x3 with a cap, or a 1x3. Anybody know how many watts the 1x3 does?