Elkin Amp 4 tube

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
EchoKilo2488
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Handle: Catnap
Call Sign: Catnap
Antenna: Homemade dipole
Radio: RCI 2950, Icom718

Elkin Amp 4 tube

Post by EchoKilo2488 »

Looking for a schematic or if someone would be so kind to snap a picture of the underside with the bottom cover removed it would be highly appreciated. 3 diodes came undone and it killed all power. I put them back where I thought it went but burnt a 15ohm resistor in the process. Any help is appreciated and I can include pictures. Thanks in advance!

Re: Elkin Amp 4 tube

Post by 51 »

good luck on your search, seems alot of people are/were looking for one but there are none, hmmm.
EchoKilo2488
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by EchoKilo2488 »

I'd Just be happy for a picture. I know someone got to have an old Elkin. These 3 diodes I wouldn't have believed would of caused so much chaos lol.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

If it's the rectifier diodes your talking about, if they are bad it will cause all kinds of problems...like blowing the fuse and killing the power...I had a couple go bad on my Palomar 300A last week and it blew the fuse...Had my local tech replace them and all's back good again...He said a bad cap or a tube arcing could have caused then to go out...or just old age...all the caps checked out good (no leakage) and tubes all checked out to be over 90% good, and no arcing so guess it was just age that got them...

If this is what your talking about (which it sounds like) sticking them back in is not going to fix your problem, they need to be replaced...RF Parts may have them...If you can find the part number for the ones you need, they only cost about a buck a piece...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

This is the only picture I could find of the bottom side of a Elkin 4-tube base amp...I think there was two versions so don't know if this is like yours or not...(click on pic for larger image)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
EchoKilo2488
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by EchoKilo2488 »

Was going to upload pictures but unable to get them on this site. The resistor is a 15 ohm on the terminal strip on the left side and the 3 diodes 1 is a zener, 1 is a 1n47xx can't read the rest and another diode looks like a signal diode. They all looked chained together because they fell off together.
EchoKilo2488
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by EchoKilo2488 »

The three diodes are 1n4753, 1n4738a the signal diode I can't tell.. 4773a maybe that's it. Very faded.