Please help testing pills & replacement pill #?

This is the place to ask questions about linear amplifiers, or power supplies

Moderator: JR Moderator

LocomtvBreth
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cobra 148 gtl

Please help testing pills & replacement pill #?

Post by LocomtvBreth » Monday, 16 September 2013, 14:01 PM

I removed the CTC TX100 1085 pills from my Palomar TX100. One is wonky as all get out, the other looks like it is ok. I only have a test light and battery to test with and i am basically testing go/no go.
I am sorry but I don't know the correct terminology so I'll just do my best. I used this as a guide a guide. http://www.neatcircuits.com/transistor_testing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and am still learning and testing.

Any help with testing or replacement pill(s) would be appreciated.

Monday, 16 September 2013, 13:46 PM

Using these steps I found the following results;

Test 1) If you hold the + to the base and touch the emitter and then the collector with -, you should see the light illuminate like a diode (dimly?). If either the emitter or collector or both lights brightly, the transistor is defective.
Test 2) Now place the - on the base. Touch the emitter and collector with + and you should not see any illumination. If you get a bright light on either the emitter or collector or both, the transistor is defective.
Test 3) Lastly, place the tester across the emitter and collector. You must not see the tester illuminate either way. If it passes the three tests, you can be sure the device is okay.

Pill A;
#1 failed-Bright light on collector and emitter
#2 failed-Dim light at emitter
#3 failed-+ at emitter and - at collector

Pill B
#1 failed-Bright light on collector
No light on emitter
#3 failed-+ at emitter and - at collector

So the next question is, what would cause the pills to go bad, and would replacements go bad as well?

Monday, 16 September 2013, 14:00 PM

These are the guys that need replaced.

------------------------------
1138 Oregon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic