thoughts on bmk amps

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
chewy78
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: k40
Radio: cobra 29 ltd classic

Re: thoughts on bmk amps

Post by chewy78 »

take some pictures for us
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

found this pic while searching the web.

President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
stickman1
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by stickman1 »

Can't get any pics on here but have a bunch. Build quality is excellent customer service great hooking it up this weekend will let you know.
chewy78
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: k40
Radio: cobra 29 ltd classic

Post by chewy78 »

for some reason the guys web site is closed and i cant find his facebook page
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

chewy78 wrote:for some reason the guys web site is closed and i cant find his facebook page
Try contacting him thru his "YouTube's"

I was checking my "Bookmarks" and finding a lot of sites are no longer in existence, some big name outfits too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
yota167
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stryker490HP

Post by yota167 »

chewy78 wrote:for some reason the guys web site is closed and i cant find his facebook page
Dudes still building and working on stuff, his youtube like, MD alluded to, is full of recent work he's done.
Yota167
Getting back in the game...
Was running fat boys, Davemade's, and TS's.
Now just wanting to set up my Kenworth t880 Roll Off truck.
-=PEAKABOO=-
Donor
Donor
Handle: PEAKABOO

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
rich33 wrote:I never heard of BMK amps. If you really need an amp, go with a proven builder.
BMK has been around for a while...never herd anything bad about them..."Pure Power" Amp's are very good box's, and I bet you never herd of them either...

Seriously? Put one of the amps on a spectrum analyzer and see if you still feel this way. Even worse when you follow the builders instruction, drive 2 pill into a 4 pill into your 8 pill.

(edited by MDY, removed double post)
"Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke"
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Just look inside a pure power and count the parts. Then look inside a Davemade, xforce, bmk, fatboy or any other amp with the same pill count...I won't bash him but others can make their own decisions.
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

Pure power, wasn't he the guy that originally did the copies from PSF technologies. Or was that Powerplate. Been years since I seen or heard. Lol, Peekaboos comment about 2x4x8. Only way that should even be thought about running is in a 10 second KeyDown. Then put it on shelf. A 1x2 is running an 8 pill hard.
Paint Chip
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Antenna: Imax2000
Radio: Dx959, Cobra 2000

Post by Paint Chip »

I too have been looking at BMK and Daniel seems very legit. He also offers a full 5 year warranty on his work, if memory serves me correct. Crusher, is there anyway you could send me a PM? Ive got a box id really like your input on and Im about an hour outside of your area. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
jpattt24
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by jpattt24 »

yota167 wrote:
Dudes still building and working on stuff, his youtube like, MD alluded to, is full of recent work he's done.
Daniel Harris on face book.
MightyMite44
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by MightyMite44 »

Well I got a BMK mobile, a 2 pill, 2 2879 transistors and I think they are all built the same way, nothing really different about the way they build them and how X force does it or **Censored**, they are built a lot alike, maybe if they add a /b bias or whether or not have a auto SSB and so forth but pretty much the same.,
Ok I have a question about how to run this mobile am, I would like to run it on the base so what size P/S should I run with it, should it be around 45 or 50 amp
Deleted User 14541

A 45 amp supply will work well with it. It's more than the amp needs but the power supply will run cooler and probably last longer too. 30 amps would probably be the bare minimum. I've saw power supplies put out more than their rating and some fall on their face below the rated output.

For the most part these Dave style amps are all the same. What makes one better than the other is the builder. I'm not referring to bmk any builder in particular, just some things to think about. Some will use extra heatsink and a larger case. Some will use just enough heatsink to mount the transistors and a case barely big enough to hold all the components. Some will match every capacitor and transistor to make the amplifier as well balanced as possible and some just pull parts out of the bag and assemble the amp. Some use cheap computer fans with cool lights, some use better fans that actually move some air.

Some builders truly understand what they are doing and others just copy something else that may have issues of its own. Some people do things inside the amp that look cool or heavy duty but are often making things worse. Then there are the guys who copy two designs and try to pass it off as something original. The consumer usually doesn't know the difference. If he did he'd have probably ordered the parts and built it himself. It's worse than buying a used car from a sleazy salesman.
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

Couldn't agree with you more 543. The pretty computer fan with cool LED lighting. That's the best. A mouse could **Censored** and push more air. Heat is the enemy. The more heatsink and more CFM is the only way to go. I bust out laughing anytime someone says I put these fans in it over the ones that were in it so it was quieter.
Deleted User 14541

Crusher wrote:Couldn't agree with you more 543. The pretty computer fan with cool LED lighting. That's the best. A mouse could **Censored** and push more air. Heat is the enemy. The more heatsink and more CFM is the only way to go. I bust out laughing anytime someone says I put these fans in it over the ones that were in it so it was quieter.
I'm thinking of putting finding one of those super CFM monsters in 115vac for a golden eagle 1K I have over here...I know the owner will hate the noise though. I took it in as a favor to a friend and want to make sure those new tubes stay cool. I may have to put guy wires on the tubes so they don't blow over. :lol:
Crusher
Donor
Donor

Post by Crusher »

Lol, I have a 12v axial fan that when it turns on, it sounds like a turbine engine starting up. 4.8A 252CFM. Perfect for one of those amps in a 8 pill case.
gameover
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by gameover »

MightyMite44 wrote:Well I got a BMK mobile, a 2 pill, 2 2879 transistors and I think they are all built the same way, nothing really different about the way they build them and how X force does it or **Censored**, they are built a lot alike, maybe if they add a /b bias or whether or not have a auto SSB and so forth but pretty much the same.,
Ok I have a question about how to run this mobile am, I would like to run it on the base so what size P/S should I run with it, should it be around 45 or 50 amp
So what kind of output power are you getting out of it?