High SWR out the linear

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
Mountain 509
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Solorcon Maxx 2000
Radio: Uniden Washington

High SWR out the linear

Post by Mountain 509 »

I hooked up a Elkin Mini-Max 4 tube. PEP is about 380w. When I checked the standing wave with a dead key the reading was 1:1.4 . But when modulating the standing wave climbs up to almost 1:3+ . My RM KLV 400 has a dead key swr reading of 1:1.4 also. but when modulating the standing wave climbs to about 1:2.1 . Is this a problem? Just a note.......All jumpers have been tested and antenna (I-Max) is tune. When running just the radio barefoot through the same jumpers I get a swr reading of 1:1.2 (no increase in SWR during modulation).

P.S> My main concern is... should the Standing Wave be increasing during modulation? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.. Randall
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: High SWR out the linear

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Always check SWR with mic gain all the way off...modulating while trying to check just gives you wroth less false readings.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

If the SWR is like you say then there isn't a problem, like JJD says, check the SWR with a DK, no modulation. If the meter your using has a wattage setting switch to it, an averaging meter doesn't move the needle much but a PEP meter will show swing.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Mountain 509
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Mountain 509 »

Thanks for the reply, jessejamesdallas. That is how I check my SWR. I leave the MOD/SWR meter on my Cobra 2000 on the SWR reading and was caught off guard when I saw it swinging into the red while talking on this [new to me] Elkin amp. I just needed some reassurance. Thanks again.....Randall
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Since I read your using the radio's SWR meter what does the antenna read without the amp inline?

3's

Greg

Mountain 509
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Mountain 509 »

MDYoungblood wrote:Since I read your using the radio's SWR meter what does the antenna read without the amp inline?

3's

Greg
As I stated above without the amp on the Cobra's meter reads a 1:1.2, same as the Dozy meter I have inline. That's with the amp inline and not turned on. The reading is the same if I connect the antenna directly to the radio as well....Randall
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Your Elkin amp is one of the nicer amps, using four 12JB6 tubes, basically it's a modulator, have a low DK (around 50w with a 4w drive), has lots of swing wattage (over 250w RMS) and it really shines on SSB. I'd drive it with a lower DK from the radio to save the tubes, they are expensive.

3's

Greg

Mountain 509
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Mountain 509 »

MDYoungblood wrote:Your Elkin amp is one of the nicer amps, using four 12JB6 tubes, basically it's a modulator, have a low DK (around 50w with a 4w drive), has lots of swing wattage (over 250w RMS) and it really shines on SSB. I'd drive it with a lower DK from the radio to save the tubes, they are expensive.

3's

Greg
Thanks for your reply, Greg. You really were a big help when I first got this base station up and running last Nov. I have come a long way since then. This is my second Elkin Mini-Max. The first one I had lasted about 30 days, then the transformer let go. I actually had to open the windows to let the smoke out! That box was about 35 years old and although it had new tubes installed when I bought it, the transformer was at its life's end. I still have it sitting in the corner and maybe one day I will take it to Ray's and let them fix it. As you may well know it will cost more than it's worth to replace the transformer. I am lucky in that I live about 1 1/2 hour drive from Ray Phelps' shop. He is mostly retired and his son does most of the work now, I believe.

This new (to me) Mini-Max was bought from a local cb'er that used it to drive a HeathKit ,and was recently totally refurbished by Ray's son. A variable was installed and it is a talker. With the variable turned up to max, and a 2.25w deadkey out of my Cobra 2000, it shows a deadkey at 25w swinging to 390w PEP. It shows right at 190W RMS on my Dozy meter. These Elkin amps really are great amps. I know there are a few that don't think much of the sweep tube boxes, but I am a believer, and living here in NC there are quite a few floating around to be had! My RM KLV 400 can not hold a candle to this Elkin, and that KLV is no slouch.....

Thanks again.......Randall (Mountain Top)