I picked up a Palomar 300A..But,

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Stoneman
Antenna: One Shot Dipole
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL

I picked up a Palomar 300A..But,

Post by Stoneman »

When ya plug the power supply into the back of the amp, it's keeps poppin the fuse...Think the power supply is bad??
redlght
Donor
Donor
Antenna: astroplane
Radio: a few diifferent

Re: I picked up a Palomar 300A..But,

Post by redlght »

I would guess the filter caps are bad and maybe shorted the rectifier diodes been there this week lol
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Yep. It's likely a rectifier diode but could also be a shorted tube. If the filter caps are old replace them. A quick way to test for a shorted tube is disconnect the wires at the tops of the toobs (anode) and try it again. If it doesn't pop the fuse with all the tubes disconnected shut it down, discharge the caps and connect one tube. Keep doing this until you find the one that makes the fuse pop.
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

Agreed
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

If it doesn't pop the fuse with all the tubes disconnected shut it down, discharge the caps and connect one tube.... Yea discharge the caps. If your not familiar with the high voltage and the procedures involved. Learn them, you and your heirs could be very sorry. Just stating the obvious, it's what I do.
Blue
Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Stoneman »

543FtWorth wrote:Yep. It's likely a rectifier diode but could also be a shorted tube. If the filter caps are old replace them. A quick way to test for a shorted tube is disconnect the wires at the tops of the toobs (anode) and try it again. If it doesn't pop the fuse with all the tubes disconnected shut it down, discharge the caps and connect one tube. Keep doing this until you find the one that makes the fuse pop.
Disconnect all 5 tubes, or just the four in the bundle??
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Disconnect all of the tubes. Make sure the wires you disconnect aren't touching the case or any other components before you power it up. I thought there were 6 tubes in those amps. 2 driving 4.
Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Stoneman »

543FtWorth wrote:Disconnect all of the tubes. Make sure the wires you disconnect aren't touching the case or any other components before you power it up. I thought there were 6 tubes in those amps. 2 driving 4.
Yeah I meant to say 6....I'll give it a shot this week, gotta get some more fuses...Thanks