Setup 29lLtd for low drive Amps

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
LION EYES
Donor
Donor
Handle: Uncle Fester
Antenna: I-Max 2000
Radio: Realistic 457

Setup 29lLtd for low drive Amps

Post by LION EYES »

Iv'e been setting up a older cobra 29 to drive an RM kl amp original condition of 29 was D11 clipped ( replaced it) but still had no control of modulation Long story short I got the modulation under control by tuning. My questions are when the quote the specs on the RM amp Like 1-5 watts AM drive, is that RMS or Peak I currently have it tuned 2w dk 5w swing RMS swings 10-11w peak Will that be within range of not overdriving these style amps. Have not tried it on the air yet Also is there anything special to consider when tuning a radio after the swing kit is installed VS before. I did have to got to from a 47ohm to 100 res. to get it back to 2w DK
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Setup 29lLtd for low drive Amps

Post by MDYoungblood »

Depending on which RM Italy amp your getting the drive input is in RMS (or AVG) watts, the radio can have a little swing and the amp should handle it because the wattage is not always peaking. Most reasons for dropping the DK to 2w or less is for the longevity of the amp.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
LION EYES
Donor
Donor
Handle: Uncle Fester
Antenna: I-Max 2000
Radio: Realistic 457

Post by LION EYES »

Hey Thanks for the reply Since my post I got the radio off the bench and inline with kl 503 on setting 1 I also have a couple 203p and a kl 60 for mobile ops. my meter mfj auto digital meter seems very generous compared to the BK 1040 on the bench radio showed 2.6 dk 13-14 swing pk got 25dk peeking about 115 w/mod seems good using the 1/4 method I read about. I see most of this small stuff has been rehashed over and over on the forum but hey gotta get my 2 watts in, on stuff I,m fiddling with at the moment. Isnt that how you get some privileges on the forum as a newby ?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The 203's like a low DK for sure, you can go a tad more on the 503. The kl60's would make a small driver for a large amp, they are surprisingly clean as long as the radio is too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department