President Lincoln 2

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by MDYoungblood »

I think version 3 has all the bugs out of it so I have been told. To get the story straight first there was no such thing as version 1, nothing on the boxes said that, they were plagued with a bunch of bad resistors and transistors, the manufacturer was hoping that more of them would have made it to the states then did so they got there old stock back, made the repairs hoping again the version 2, (they pasted decals on the boxes stating that), would get to the states. Version 3, (more decals) is the new and improved model, the quality control is better at checking the PCB's, transistors, and resistors, (the SMT robots are designed to do a better check before installing them on the board).
The radios aren't much on AM, great on FM and SSB, don't expect much more in the power range, the radios are set almost wide open and like I said before the SSB is not controlled by the RF power knob (works for AM/FM only, don't know why it does for FM), will have to turn down the Mic gain.
It's size has benefits, it will fit in the dash using a blank din mount, I have a Nissan Altima with a pocket under the radio/temp controls and it would fit perfectly in there. I've been thinking of getting one but other equipment has taken priority now, working on getting my HF radio/antenna in/on my Dodge Ram.
Now a word to the wise, if you have noticed there is a shortage of curtain more popular radios, the word is the manufacturer is moving, wrong, this is a marketing strategy, it is because this radio (and the Grant II) are overstocked and with all the bad reviews they can't get these radios sold. They know we won't wait for the others to start back up so we buy the next best (not really) thing, it's the "American Way". You will see in the coming months a bunch of "new and improved" radios flood the market.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

received the Lincoln 2 today and as always fast shipping from GI joes and it is the V3 model they carry. has the v3 sticker right on the box. box was in excellent condition no scratches on the radio nor finger prints for that matter either. haven't used it yet other than put it in the car and play around a few minutes. it's built better than the grant 2. the screen is a harder shell plastic so it should be more scratch resistant. love the features of this radio. I have my concerns though not from a radio standpoint but from human error standpoint. I had Ron to set the AM and FM power to 2 watts on the low end and 5 watts on the high end so I would not accidently hit the amp with too much wattage and blow the transistors. I'm guessing he can't turn down the FM because checking it with the radio shack meter I'm getting the 2 watt DK on low end AM and 5 watts on High end AM but on FM its 5 watts low end and around 28-30 on the high end of the dial. so I've got to stay away from fm all together when using amp which brings to the question. I've already accidently hit the amp with a 15 watt DK and a quick whistle thinking I was in AM mode! hope the brief burst of 15 watts didn't hurt anything. wish he could have/would have turned the fm down to a safer level for these kinds of mishaps. anyone know what the reason would be that the fm wasn't turned down? must be a reason I would assume or he would have done it I would think. it'll take a few days to a week to get used to a all the features but I'll report back on the performance when I get a few contacts. hopefully the quick hit on the amp didn't hurt anything.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
Big blue
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lets Do This!
Antenna: M103C & Colossal 10K
Radio: Yaesu FT990; Home Brew 3-500Z

Post by Big blue »

Mark: Really don't think you messed up your amp on a quick key-up/whistle like that. Try the amp on am or ssb just to see if it functions correctly. If it works correctly then you know it's fine! :basketball:
Last edited by Big blue on October 17th, 2014, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

on the way to taking my daughter to school this morning I talked to several stations on AM and they all said AM was crisp and clear. radio was at 2 watts and Amp was running on setting 5. So good news on AM side of things. I just have to remember not to accidently put it in FM mode when switching from SSB to AM. so far so good though. out of all my radios it has the best receiver on SSB. 9 out of ten stations I heard this morning I tuned in at the 12 o clock position. early reports says it's the best radio I've had yet but like I said I've not talked SSB yet I've only listened to DX. I gave the 99v2 to my father last weekend.

President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I said the same thing in your PM, the FM mode is not like AM, there is no swing wattage so 15w is just that and the 503 is a little more robust than the 203.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
simon007
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by simon007 »

MDYoungblood wrote:I think version 3 has all the bugs out of it so I have been told. To get the story straight first there was no such thing as version 1, nothing on the boxes said that, they were plagued with a bunch of bad resistors and transistors, the manufacturer was hoping that more of them would have made it to the states then did so they got there old stock back, made the repairs hoping again the version 2, (they pasted decals on the boxes stating that), would get to the states. Version 3, (more decals) is the new and improved model, the quality control is better at checking the PCB's, transistors, and resistors, (the SMT robots are designed to do a better check before installing them on the board).
The radios aren't much on AM, great on FM and SSB, don't expect much more in the power range, the radios are set almost wide open and like I said before the SSB is not controlled by the RF power knob (works for AM/FM only, don't know why it does for FM), will have to turn down the Mic gain.
It's size has benefits, it will fit in the dash using a blank din mount, I have a Nissan Altima with a pocket under the radio/temp controls and it would fit perfectly in there. I've been thinking of getting one but other equipment has taken priority now, working on getting my HF radio/antenna in/on my Dodge Ram.
Now a word to the wise, if you have noticed there is a shortage of curtain more popular radios, the word is the manufacturer is moving, wrong, this is a marketing strategy, it is because this radio (and the Grant II) are overstocked and with all the bad reviews they can't get these radios sold. They know we won't wait for the others to start back up so we buy the next best (not really) thing, it's the "American Way". You will see in the coming months a bunch of "new and improved" radios flood the market.

3's

Greg
Greg is completely correct.

The initial release was the v1 and was 1000 pieces at the maximum. It had nothing on the box and was the radio straight from the factory

V2 was a repaired version of the initial released radios. Modification sheet is on my blog.

V3 is the version that has the work carried out which made v2, meaning most were from Balaruc modified and some others via Stabo and other President group companies.

That is where it stopped, there is no version 4. As I understood from someone who told me there will be no version 4 and the only change that was made recently was different paint on the covers and that's it.

No different firmware, nothing else planned to change. And 2016 President is back in the USA in Naples Florida so expect to see some stuff coming sure and fast I guess

73 Simon
CB since 1978
Blog:www.simonthewizard.com
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/simonthewizard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CB Technical / Radio Design

Mostly On A Uniden Or Qixiang
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

President will still be in France to correct? Are they just building a USA facility? What will the effect be on buying the "non fcc approved" radios when President comes to Florida? Will that change the way we purchase let's say Lincoln II radio's or Grant II radios. I guess the question that I'm asking is will we still be able to get those types of radios from president in the future?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
simon007
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by simon007 »

silvereagle1 wrote:President will still be in France to correct? Are they just building a USA facility? What will the effect be on buying the "non fcc approved" radios when President comes to Florida? Will that change the way we purchase let's say Lincoln II radio's or Grant II radios. I guess the question that I'm asking is will we still be able to get those types of radios from president in the future?
I guess that President will bring new FCC certified radios to the USA. Yes they will still be based in Balaruc France and all there other countries and territories but being in the USA will make it better to get radios for people in the USA. Guess they ditch FM as not used in USA and will concentrate on bringing approved radios to the market. But will Uniden still sell and President too? I've absolutely no ideas at all but am interested to see what comes FCC approved but still long wait till 2016 :biggrin:
CB since 1978
Blog:www.simonthewizard.com
Videos: http://www.youtube.com/simonthewizard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CB Technical / Radio Design

Mostly On A Uniden Or Qixiang
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

The first President radio I ever saw was in the movie Smokey and the Bandit 2.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee