President Lincoln 2

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

I was thinking about getting a president Lincoln 2 but before I make the purchase I'd like to get some of your educated opinions on if it will work with my setup or not. First, it would be used with my kl-503 amp so please don't just jump in here and say rm amps are junk. That's not the issue in this post. I know a few that would take this opportunity to trash the rm amps simply because they don't like them and that's not the question I'm asking. I'm looking for honest opinions from some of the veterens of this hobby. Greg, 543 fortworth, JJD, etc... Those that know from years of experience.

If I purchase the Lincoln 2 can I pair it with my kl-503 as long as I key it low or is it too much radio for that amp? I'd really appreciate your input. I've been e-mailing the store I usually buy things from and asked that question but they won't return my e-mails. If they would answer me I would make a purchase in case they read this post. I want this radio but if it's not a good marriage with the kl-503 then I'm not getting it.

Thanks guys.

President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
-357Mag

Re: President Lincoln 2

Post by -357Mag »

I don't see a problem running a Box on this rig as it has Variable Power. IIRC I read some where that the bottom is a 2 Watts carrier on AM/FM. Since Side Band is "Carrier Modulation" I'd drive it hard at full power. I have a case of the I wants for this rig too.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The spec sheet you posted is blurry on my phone. If the rig has a variable and you can get the deadkey and swing down low enough it will be fine.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Well Mark, it looks like you caught the CB (continuously buying) fever. Yes it has variable power, knob is center of the radio under the display. 12w AM/FM would hit the amp a little hard if you forget to turn it down and the SSB doesn't adjust with the power knob but can be turned down with the mic gain. I would put a little sign over the amp's on switch saying "turn down radio before use".

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Thanks guys for the info... Got some extra money coming in November and plan on getting it from GI joes.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
Radio: Stryker 955HP

Post by Ringo Unit »

Nice radio. I wanted one too and got real close. I ended up getting the 955. Looks like a great radio. I hope you end up buying one. Good luck! Ringo.
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC

242 Central Florida
108dt206
Donor
Donor
Handle: Countryman
Call Sign: Mm6iur
Radio: NATO 2000

Post by 108dt206 »

I'd think twice about the lincon 2.. President grant getting better write ups this side of the pond..
27.555 usb...the best place to talk to the world..
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Good afternoon silvereagle1

I would be careful of the Lincoln 2. It hasn't been out long enough to know if it has any design flaws. It may have the same name as the original Lincoln, which is a clone of the HR-2510, but the radio uses surface mount components and has very little in common with the original design.

I haven't opened one up yet, but I would guess that it uses MOSFETs for a Final. The original HR-2510 and the Lincoln used the MRF-477, which was discontinued in the late 1990's. The last version of the Lincoln used a Bi-polar transistor found in amplifiers. I believe it was the 455.

When the HR-2510 was discontinued a company made the Emperor, which looked very much like the HR-2510, but was a complete disaster. I would wait on the Lincoln 2 until it has proven itself to stand up and not fail within a year.

I used to collect HR-2510's and the original Lincoln. I am very familiar with the original radio. The HR-2510 was true 10 meter radio, which was easily converted to cover 26.000 MHz to 29.6999 MHz. The first generation HR-2510 and the Lincoln went up to 29.9999 MHz. The FCC put an end to the HR-2510 in 1992 by forcing Uniden to use a microprocessor that could not be expanded. Many distributors still sold the HR-2510 and included the 64 pin microprocessor to replace the one imposed by the FCC. The last Uniden to be made was April of 1994. The Lincoln continued on for a few more years using a substitute Final, but was never type-accepted for sale in the USA. The original chassis was made in the Philippines. Everything today is made in China or Malaysia.

I have a feeling that the Lincoln 2 will suffer the same fate as the Emperor.

Here's a link to some photos of what the HR-2510 and Lincoln looked like inside. I guarantee the Lincoln 2 does not look anything like its namesake.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10823.html

Respectfully always,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Thanks for the info Rick. I always enjoy reading your stuff. I do know there has been 3 versions of the Lincoln 2 because of a few bugs. Maybe that's a bad sign and then again maybe it's a good sign they have them all worked out. But Like you pointed out time is the best way to get a real judgement. I wanted a Stryker 955 a while ago then I started seeing people selling those because of issues. I do like the Lincoln though... Thanks everyone for all your input.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor

Post by Ringo Unit »

Maybe people are having issues with the Lincoln II, I dont know, but I still want one. I like the looks, features and the fact that it uses a smaller chassis. Those work well when running multiple radios in the mobile. If I wasnt so happy with my Magnum 257hp then I would try one. I went out on a limb and got the Stryker and its been just perfect! Im using it the shack just because its the large chassis. I still cant believe the audio reports people give on the Stryker.

Who knows, the new Lincoln might just find its way into my truck after all. This site is not good for my finances :biggrin:
Yaesu Ft450, FT2900, Vx7r, FT857D, Icom ID51a, Icom ID31a, Icom ID800, Magnum 257HP, Stryker SR-955HPC

242 Central Florida
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: firestick dipole
Radio: ALINCO/GALAXY

Post by 795 »

I just read a review of the radio, if you want to read it look up cbradiomagazine, it looked like a good radio, but read the review.
DOCTOR/795 :icon_e_geek:
795/doctor/ chnl / 36//USB/AM
HAMSPHERE<NO LICENSE REQUIRED>
VOICE OF THE CORNFIELDS
SGT VIETNAM 1967-68/14th ICC
US COAST GUARD 1971-1980
AIR NATL GUARD 123RD COMM 1981-1991/RETIRED
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Good review 795
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor

Post by Ringo Unit »

Wow, thanks for the heads-up on the review! Looks like a winner!! Now if I just had another vehicle that needed a radio :biggrin:

242 Central Florida
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

well version 3 is obviousally the one to get judging from the reviews. hopefully the bugs are worked out now. I talked to Ron at GI joes and he says he can set the variable power not to exceed 5 watts carrier if that's what I choose on AM and FM. that's how Wes set my galaxy 99v2 up. I'm glad he did because I accidentally forgot to turn it down a time or two when it was new to me. what about CW how does that work. before anyone says you're not a ham stay off bla bla bla I just want to make sure all the features are set low so I won't accidentally blow my amp. don't intend on using CW until I get a ham ticket but I want it set low if it has a carrier. if CW is a feature on the radio then I need to educate myself on the feature just for understanding it's usage for protection purposes if nothing else. does CW work by carrier or is it more in theory of sideband? even if it's sideband would the factory settings be too much?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
-357Mag

Post by -357Mag »

CW:> Continuous Wave the carrier is interrupted to form characters di dah di di dah luckily the radio has a Keyer that has to be plugged in to transmit a signal, I know on the original Lincoln if the CW circuit was disconnected on the board SSB power was increased. If your going castrate the Lincoln II to run an amp save some money and get the Grant
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

I've already got the grant 2. I just like the looks and features of the Lincoln 2 and it can always be turned back up later so not really a castration since the procedure can be reversed with just a little pot turning. I've found several videos on the Lincoln 2 and the more I watch the more I like it. i'd be satisfied with the lincoln2 turned down to use with my amp and the threshold set not to exceed a 5 watt carrier for protection in case of "forgetting" to turn the knob down. I don't see that as castrating the radio.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor

Post by Ringo Unit »

Hey Mark, I have had good luck in the mobile with my Magnum 257hp by keeping the variable power turned all the way down. Thats the way I run it all the time. We are at such a disadvantage in our mobiles (compared to our base stations) that having all the power I can is the only way to communicate with my buddies in other mobiles especially when we venture into the city. When we are out in the county, which is where we all live, its not so bad.

So, its just my opinion, but I would leave the power pot adjustments alone (assuming you can get a low enough dead key) and run it that way. That is just my opinion only.

When on the base, I dont run any additional power for fear of interference. I dont really see the need as my antenna is at a decent height. But in the mobile, I always run a little power. This is just my uneducated opinion. Kevin.

242 Central Florida
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

the reason I want the threshold set at five watts is because I may forget and accidentally key up when the radio's RF power knob is all the way up. a brief burst of 5 watts won't damage the amp but a brief burst of 10 plus might not be so lucky. I'm just thinking of protection more than anything else. if my radio is on my amp is on so I really don't need the extra wattage coming from the radio. Thats my only logic behind the 5 watt max DK
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor

Post by Ringo Unit »

That is true. The only argument for having the extra power is if something happened to the amp you would still have the 50 or so watts. Im just playing devils advocate here, thats all. Turning it down is definitely safer! Kevin.

242 Central Florida
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Kevin, let's say I buy the Lincoln 2 and use it straight out of the box,
as long as I key it low, is it ready to safetly use with the amp? what I'm asking is if I turn the rf power all the way down let's say to two watts. what does the two watts swing to from the factory? that's another thing I'm worried about. if it only swings 10-15 then that's fine I think.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor

Post by Ringo Unit »

Well, on my Magnum I also have to turn down the mic gain in order to keep the swing from getting too high. So its set at 1.5-2 watts dead key and swings about 15 watts. I use a cheap radio shack meter to keep track of the numbers. When I have it set right, I turn on the amp. I very rarely have to touch the adjustments, just talk and have fun. However, I fully understand your concern. That very same concern forced me to remove the fatboy 2 pill from my Stryker on the base. The Stryker will do 80 and I dont want to chance hitting the Fatboy too hard. Not to mention there wouldn't be any differnce between the 80 and 140 anyway.

242 Central Florida
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Ringo Unit wrote:Well, on my Magnum I also have to turn down the mic gain in order to keep the swing from getting too high. So its set at 1.5-2 watts dead key and swings about 15 watts. I use a cheap radio shack meter to keep track of the numbers. When I have it set right, I turn on the amp. I very rarely have to touch the adjustments, just talk and have fun. However, I fully understand your concern. That very same concern forced me to remove the fatboy 2 pill from my Stryker on the base. The Stryker will do 80 and I dont want to chance hitting the Fatboy too hard. Not to mention there wouldn't be any differnce between the 80 and 140 anyway.
I notice on sideband the Lincoln specs at 31 watts pep out of the box. that's a little high as far as my 503 specs. when turning the rf power all the way down on the Lincoln will it also decrease the SSB pep? it does on my 99v2. if I read greg's post correctly the rf power knob on the Lincoln does not effect the SSB pep like it does on my 99v2.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
Ringo Unit
Donor
Donor

Post by Ringo Unit »

I am no expert and can tell you about the Magnum and Stryker only. On SSB, the variable power must remain wide open, and my swing is determined only by the mic gain adjustment. The magnum, with the power all the way up and mic gain all the way up, will swing 65 on SSB. Using the mic gain only, I can reduce the swing all the way down to 5 watts. The same holds true for the Stryker.

I hope this helps. Kevin

242 Central Florida
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

silvereagle1 wrote:
Ringo Unit wrote:Well, on my Magnum I also have to turn down the mic gain in order to keep the swing from getting too high. So its set at 1.5-2 watts dead key and swings about 15 watts. I use a cheap radio shack meter to keep track of the numbers. When I have it set right, I turn on the amp. I very rarely have to touch the adjustments, just talk and have fun. However, I fully understand your concern. That very same concern forced me to remove the fatboy 2 pill from my Stryker on the base. The Stryker will do 80 and I dont want to chance hitting the Fatboy too hard. Not to mention there wouldn't be any differnce between the 80 and 140 anyway.
I notice on sideband the Lincoln specs at 31 watts pep out of the box. that's a little high as far as my 503 specs. when turning the rf power all the way down on the Lincoln will it also decrease the SSB pep? it does on my 99v2. if I read greg's post correctly the rf power knob on the Lincoln does not effect the SSB pep like it does on my 99v2.
Good morning silvereagle1

As long as the audio limiter is not cut out or modified, then the peak power will be reduced when the RF gain is reduced. If the audio limiter is disabled then only the carrier is reduced. To reduce the peak power you will need to turn down your Mic gain. On the original HR-2510 and Lincoln the Mic gain control was a simple push button that cut your audio gain in half, unlike most radios that use a rotary control.

This is the case with almost every CB radio out there. If the audio limiter is disabled then the RF gain control only reduces the carrier (Dead-Key). I recommend leaving the audio limiter alone in any radio. If one wishes to sound louder then use a power Mic.

Respectfully as always
Respectfully as always,

Rick
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

TheCBDoctor wrote:
silvereagle1 wrote:
Good morning silvereagle1

As long as the audio limiter is not cut out or modified, then the peak power will be reduced when the RF gain is reduced. If the audio limiter is disabled then only the carrier is reduced. To reduce the peak power you will need to turn down your Mic gain. On the original HR-2510 and Lincoln the Mic gain control was a simple push button that cut your audio gain in half, unlike most radios that use a rotary control.

This is the case with almost every CB radio out there. If the audio limiter is disabled then the RF gain control only reduces the carrier (Dead-Key). I recommend leaving the audio limiter alone in any radio. If one wishes to sound louder then use a power Mic.

Respectfully as always
Rick, in your opinion
can I use it out of the box as long as I key it low with the 503 and still have good sound quality?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee