Hustler Antenna Question

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: PREDATOR 10k SHORT W
Radio: custom built 98vhp

Hustler Antenna Question

Post by rosman6119 »

I was wondering what people think of the hustler scb antenna I wanted to change to a predetor but was advised that it would not make much difference.

(topic edited by 231)

Re: Galaxy98vhp

Post by 231 »

Hustler brand is okay quality...Preditor is outstanding. In a proper installation I would expect the Preditor to seriously out perform the Hustler center loaded antennas (all models). While the 'Q' may not be as high, real world performance often doesn't come from theory it comes from trials.

Whomever told you it wouldn't make any difference, I would grill them on exactly how they know this? More often than not none of them have any real side by side comparison experience, just theories and "a friend of my cousin's brother..." evidence. So if they can't answer you with any real world experience I'd take their info' with a grain of salt.

That being said, I have not done side by side comparisons with the Preditor vs. Hustler center loaded models. Why? Because my Hustlers were always out performed by my Wilson Trucker series (1k/2k one of each). So I never bothered. But I have compared the MonkeyMade MM9 which is a competitor to Preditor...also a very good quality open coil center loaded antenna. And it blew the doors off of the Wilson Truckers I have by at least 1-1/2 s-units (6-9db). That's significant. The Preditor should work darn close to the MM9 (if not better in some installations).

Hope that helps.

rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Re: Hustler Antenna Question

Post by rosman6119 »

Ok thank you for the reply now what antenna would you think would work well on a triaxle I was told the predetor is to long and I would not be able to get the coil above the cab what would you suggest and again thank you for the help because I would like to get everything I can out of my 98vhp
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Not sure who your getting your advice from, but sounds like someone who has never ran a Predator 10K antenna, and just takes the cheapest way out when they buy a antenna...

I'm not that familiar with what your calling a "triaxle", but there's several different versions of the Predator 10K... What most drivers get to mount on mirror brackets of Big Rig's is the "SW" dual-coil Predator 10K. This 10K tunes just under 5'...Most popular version has a 12" lower shaft (part of the antenna below the coil) here's a picture of one mounted on a Truck...If your talking about something like a dump-truck, your biggest problem is going to be the bucket if it sticks out over the cab, but the SW dual coil 10K should still work...

The Predator "Bad to the Bone" antenna just has one coil, but tunes closer to 6'
The regular single coil Predator tunes the tallest at around 7'

There's also a "Predator 10K Comp" which is basically the same thing as the Bad to the Bone, only a older version and has a stiffer stinger.
And there's a Predator 30K for the guys running stupid-watts, that has no stinger, but rather a aluminum rod above the coil that you can adjust up and down to set the SWR.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I'm going to put on the flame suit for this one. The predator antennas work great. I've ran the same old single coil with a 17" shaft for years. A real antenna needs enough counterpoint under it to talk like it should...not talking about low swr. There's alot of plastic on the modern big rig and mounting options vary from truck to truck. Unless you are running high power I don't think either of the mentioned antennas will out talk a 5 ft firestick or 5ft (or longer) skipshooter. Most of their loading is up high and away from the rest of the truck. One reason they work decent behind the cab of a pick where a center load antenna with the coil lower than the cab does poorly.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

543FtWorth wrote:I'm going to put on the flame suit for this one. The predator antennas work great. I've ran the same old single coil with a 17" shaft for years. A real antenna needs enough counterpoint under it to talk like it should...not talking about low swr. There's alot of plastic on the modern big rig and mounting options vary from truck to truck. Unless you are running high power I don't think either of the mentioned antennas will out talk a 5 ft firestick or 5ft (or longer) skipshooter. Most of their loading is up high and away from the rest of the truck. One reason they work decent behind the cab of a pick where a center load antenna with the coil lower than the cab does poorly.
That's why I said if he has a dump truck with a bucket sticking over the cab, that would be his biggest problem...I know guys with these trucks that have had a hard time getting a 10K to tune because of the bucket...

I don't think tho the plastic body is going to be a issue...I run a single coil 10K with a 27" shaft on the front of my work van (mounted on the front fender, which is why I have the 27" shaft) and it works great...About the only things on my van that's metal, is the two front fenders and doors...everything else is plastic...Originally I had a 12" shaft SW dual coil 10K mounted on the mirror arms and it also tuned and work great....until I went to move the truck (driving down the road) and then it would loose ground and go nuts...never could get the mirror arms to ground good enough, so I moved it to the front fender with a home made mounting bracket.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post by 231 »

543FtWorth wrote:I'm going to put on the flame suit for this one. The predator antennas work great. I've ran the same old single coil with a 17" shaft for years. A real antenna needs enough counterpoint under it to talk like it should...not talking about low swr. There's alot of plastic on the modern big rig and mounting options vary from truck to truck. Unless you are running high power I don't think either of the mentioned antennas will out talk a 5 ft firestick or 5ft (or longer) skipshooter. Most of their loading is up high and away from the rest of the truck. One reason they work decent behind the cab of a pick where a center load antenna with the coil lower than the cab does poorly.
No flame suit needed...just friends sharing history and antenna experiences with each other. Firestik (any length) and Skipshooter are two completely different antennas (although both helically wound). Just like the Everhardt Tiger SOT, SOTT, ST, and TSM series which was probably the closest in design to the Skipshooter. Firestik only uses 5/8 wave worth of wire (single wrap), while the Skipshooter used 3, and everhardt used 2...with at least a full wave or more. While they all were 1/4 wave antennas, The added wraps of wire equated to broader banded, better receive, and without question better transmit performance than any of the standard Firestik or Silverloads on the market or made (that I've tested). And BTW, K40's original flex antenna was suppose to be one of the best too back then charging ridiculous amounts for the antenna. The thing was a rip off...it wouldn't handle 300w let alone the boasted 500w they marketed them at. Same with 5' or shorter Firestik. No way would they handle anything close to 800w PEP. The Skipshooter and certainly SOTT series Everhardt would handle well over 1kw PEP at full duty cycle (AM). Ask me how I know. LOL I've had the argument with old timers about antenna theory and the 'Q' of the antenna...but there is theory then there is real world testing and experience. Sometimes theory lines up correctly, but not always.

But I've compared the Firestik (even 7') to the Everhardt SOTT-5' & 5-1/2' and the Everhardt put the Firestik to shame. In spite of popular belief, not all top loaded helical wound antennas are the same...nor do they perform the same (even at equal lengths). I sure wish I would have had the cash for the 5' and 7' Skipshooter when CB World had them in stock years ago. I used to stop in there all the time when I'd head through Albany Oregon. Had I known they would become impossible to find I would have charged them or something. That was back in the late 90's.

Also back in the day (mid-late 70's) the 7' Firestik was an antenna to be reckoned with and even gave the 102" whip a run for it's money. By far it was one of the best performers out there. Somewhere along the way they changed something because the last one I tested in the late 80's didn't do so well up against the 102" whip. In the late 80's Everhardt appeared on the scene and continued making darn good antennas up until I think 2013. Of course Firestik is still going strong because they have contracts with virtually every big truck stop company (i.e. T/A, Leathers, etc.) to carry their products and private label accessories for others. Everhardt had OEM contracts with like Freightliner and even Radio Shack. But there were only a few models they were requested to provide. On Freightliners it was their NGP if I recall and with RS it was at least one of their base loaded antennas. For some reason they could never get the truck stop contracts. Probably didn't grease someone well enough, who knows. LOL

Back to our regularly scheduled topic. LOL

Post by 231 »

rosman6119 wrote:Ok thank you for the reply now what antenna would you think would work well on a triaxle I was told the predetor is to long and I would not be able to get the coil above the cab what would you suggest and again thank you for the help because I would like to get everything I can out of my 98vhp
I think none of us know your cab like you do. JesseJamesDalles is probably one of the most knowledgeable Preditor people on the web who has tried virtually every combination they make. If he says it can be done, it can be. The question will be does his info' make sense to you?

I'll tell ya', I'm not all that familiar with some of the challenges truck drivers have with this...but those I've seen having antennas constantly destroyed from being hit should try the Everhardt TSM-4' Superflex antenna. Allot of us who offroad use that antenna and I've yet to see one get broken (although I'm sure it can be done). I think they perform very well, aren't expensive, and without question work better than any of the Wilson Trucker or Hustler center load antennas I own. They are rated at 1kw and will handle that, too. If I had to settle for only one antenna to handle heavy offroading hits (low foliage) and every day driving that would be the antenna I'd choose. Combined with an HD spring will handle allot of hits. Here's an image of mine on my Jeep;

But the TSM will NOT outperform the Preditor...no question about it. I don't know anything about the SW Preditor, but as JJD mentioned that's a very popular one among truckers. Indeed getting the coil above the mass is important. But with fiberglass cabs these days I'm not so sure it's as critical. I would recommend you follow JJD's advice on the Preditor line. When you get a chance post us an image of the truck cab we are talking about...I'm sure between us we'll have some good ideas for you to consider.

rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by rosman6119 »

Ok again thanks for all the help , I fo a picture of one of our trucks so here it is this is not mine but I drive the same kind of truck now remember I do go under blacktop plants and right now I have a hustler scb with the 22" shaft overall length is I think 46 inches with the whip and I don hit anything and I mount it on the upper arm of the mirror.
So do you think they make a predator SW that would work with this truck the cab of this truck is all metal if that helps.

Post by 231 »

rosman6119 wrote:Ok again thanks for all the help , I fo a picture of one of our trucks so here it is this is not mine but I drive the same kind of truck now remember I do go under blacktop plants and right now I have a hustler scb with the 22" shaft overall length is I think 46 inches with the whip and I don hit anything and I mount it on the upper arm of the mirror.
So do you think they make a predator SW that would work with this truck the cab of this truck is all metal if that helps.
I think it would work okay...but let's see what JJD says. The coil is far enough away from the bucket that I think there wouldn't be a problem using it. The only concern I'd think is getting hit.

That image looks like a 3' or 4' Firestik on the truck by the way. If JJD says it's okay to do, I'd probably consider using a good quality heavy duty spring on the mount to help share any impact energy. Many of them won't flex the antenna hardly at all unless it's hit. I run the HD (small body Firestik spring) with several of my antennas and a HD Hustler barrel spring sometimes...and even my 25 year old Everhardt antennas still function great (and they've been hit many times). A quick disconnect might not be a bad idea also just in case you need to pop it off real quick.

Just a couple of ideas that might be worthwhile to run by JJD. All of them lengthen the antenna a little (adds some inductance) but isn't a big deal to adjust tuning for typically.

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

As much as I like recommending Predator antenna's....In your case, I think I would consider sticking with the fiberglass antenna's..."Why?" because if all that Ice build up on the truck you posted a picture of is typical for your area, The SW dual coil 10K would look like a block of ice before you made it out of the driveway...Any open coil aluminum antenna would ice up very quickly in those conditions and because of the weight of the ice alone could cause it to snap off at the mount...

Where as a fiberglass stick type antenna doesn't have the open coil on it, so ice and snow won't build up as bad...

Now if you want to use the fiberglass antenna in the winter months and a 10K in the warmer months, then as long as you can get by with a antenna that tunes around 56" high, the SW dual coil 10K would probably work just fine...

Another thing with the SW dual-coil, I wouldn't recommend adding a spring with that 10K...Having dual-coils, the coils are going to catch allot of wind drag, and if you had a spring on it, it would probably dance and flop around too much at freeway speeds.

I have seen guys use barrel springs on the Single Coil Predators that have the 12" lower shafts, and they seem to do ok at highway speeds...A single coil 10K with the shorter lower shafts catch less wind, so you can get by with the spring....Downside with the single coil 10K's, is they tune close to or little over 7' tall, so mounting one on a mirror bracket is not very practical.

-- February 06 2015, 19:02 PM --
231 wrote:
rosman6119 wrote:Ok thank you for the reply now what antenna would you think would work well on a triaxle I was told the predetor is to long and I would not be able to get the coil above the cab what would you suggest and again thank you for the help because I would like to get everything I can out of my 98vhp
I think none of us know your cab like you do. JesseJamesDalles is probably one of the most knowledgeable Preditor people on the web who has tried virtually every combination they make. If he says it can be done, it can be. The question will be does his info' make sense to you?

I'll tell ya', I'm not all that familiar with some of the challenges truck drivers have with this...but those I've seen having antennas constantly destroyed from being hit should try the Everhardt TSM-4' Superflex antenna. Allot of us who offroad use that antenna and I've yet to see one get broken (although I'm sure it can be done). I think they perform very well, aren't expensive, and without question work better than any of the Wilson Trucker or Hustler center load antennas I own. They are rated at 1kw and will handle that, too. If I had to settle for only one antenna to handle heavy offroading hits (low foliage) and every day driving that would be the antenna I'd choose. Combined with an HD spring will handle allot of hits. Here's an image of mine on my Jeep;

But the TSM will NOT outperform the Preditor...no question about it. I don't know anything about the SW Preditor, but as JJD mentioned that's a very popular one among truckers. Indeed getting the coil above the mass is important. But with fiberglass cabs these days I'm not so sure it's as critical. I would recommend you follow JJD's advice on the Preditor line. When you get a chance post us an image of the truck cab we are talking about...I'm sure between us we'll have some good ideas for you to consider.

Just wondering...As flexible as that antenna is..."Why do you need the spring?" I've never use one of those but keep thinking one would be nice when I go deer hunting...I always end up having to take my 10K's off at the deer leases because of low limbs.
rosman6119
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by rosman6119 »

Well I do have to worry about my antenna getting ice on it because like I said that is not my truck we get laid off for January and February in the winter and only a couple of our trucks are used for plowing and mine does not plow so here is how this started I was going to buy a monkey made or predator antenna to replace my hustler scb so I called a cb shop that had them for sale on eBay and I asked him which antenna he would recommend the monkey made or the predator and I told him I had a Galaxy 98vhp and the hustler scb with a 1.1 to 1.2 SWR match top to bottom and he said that as much as he would like to sell me an antenna that either one would not make much of a noticeable difference then the hustler I am using now he said that the hustler scb is a really good well made antenna, so my problem is I have no problem spending the money for a predator SW as long as it will get me out further and receive better.

-- Friday, 06 February 2015, 20:34 PM --

That post above I ment to say i DONT Have to worry about ice.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

The hustler scb antenna is one I have never used, and I'm sure you can get a 1.1 - 1.2 SWR with no problem with one, but having a low SWR reading doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work the same as other antenna's... First off, with any antenna "Height is Might"...Always when it comes to CB Antenna's, "the taller the better"...so if that hustler antenna of yours tunes under 50" in height, just about any taller antenna is going to be better (even if they don't have the same low SWR)

Between the Monkey Made's and the Predator 10K's, if both antenna's tune about the same height, there's not going to be much difference in performance...Where the Predator has a advantage over the Monkey, is the Predator's are lighter in weight so their less likely to be a strain on the mount or what they are mounted to (mirror bracket in your case) Plus in allot of cases the Predator tunes better. Predator's and the Monkey Made's have been around almost the same length of time, and are both proven designs... I run mostly Predator 10K's on my vehicles, and have tried all the Predator's experimenting with different vehicles and mounting locations to see what works best where, and on what, since 2002. Kale Cavel (the owner and builder of the 10K's) is a good friend of mine and keeps me well supplied with the latest designs.

Now, "will a 10K be a noticeable difference over what you have now?" I can almost guaranty it would be...Maybe not like "Night and day", but you should be able to notice a improvement in your receive right off the bat...As for as transmit, best way to determine that, would be to test the 10K against your Hustler...Have someone maybe a mile or two away on a quite channel listen to your radio first with one antenna, and then with the other...Have him watch a watt meter and see what each antenna is doing...As for as the audio go's, he'll just have to pay attention and see which one sounds the loudest...Now both of you would need to be stationary for this to work naturally...

I also run a Monkey Made "Big John" antenna on my Tacoma, and it does kick- some tail...It's also about 8' tall which has allot to do with it...

Like I said earlier tho...The Predator's and the Monkey Made's, and any other brand of open coil aluminum designed antenna's are not going to work very well for you in icy/snowy conditions...specially "Icy"...The coil will cake-up in ice, and your SWR will go threw the roof... Look at the bumper of that truck you posted a picture of, and imagine all that gunk being coated on the coil of the antenna...That's what you would be dealing with in icy conditions.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I see no problems with the Hustler SCB, Hustler brand was always a good antenna, it says it will handle 1K wattage but like any antenna I cut that in half. I ran the Hustler HQ27 on my personal van for years, both on co-phased mirror mounts, the west coast mirrors put them high on the vehicle, I see your mirrors are the same, (BTW, nice old "Bulldog"). If height is a problem go with the SCB (46"), it's 9" shorter than the 27HQ (55"). Don't need a spring for either, the SCB has one above the coil. It should tune out quite well, might need to give it a slight lean forward to get it way from the cab protector.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department