Location for new antenna

Need some help or advice on how to set up a mobile. This is the place to ask.

Moderator: JR Moderator

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Location for new antenna

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 6:59 AM

I just bought a yaesu 2900 2 meter radio for my car and I want to run both my 10/11 meter radio and the 2 meter rig. I already have my sirio 5000 mounted center of the car at the rear so I need to find the ideal spot to mount a dual band antenna that won't cause problems. I originally wanted to keep the dual band antenna centered but I won't be able to get it more than a few inches away from the sirio because I'd really have to get into the headliner more than I'm willing to do. With that said, I can mount the dual band antenna toward the rear on the passenger side and it would create 15 inches in distance between the two antennae. Will this work and not cause any problems between the 2 radios? I don't want to fender mount I want to roof mount. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Thanks everyone. Mark
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: Location for new antenna

Post by MDYoungblood » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 7:22 AM

Which dual band antenna are you planning to use? That will dictate where the best spot is.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 7:31 AM

IMG_1300.JPG
I was thinking about the Larsen 1/4 wave NMO mount. A lot of Hills and Mountains here. Not set on it yet just looking around trying to find the best one I can. Just from what I've been reading Larsen seems to be one of the best. I'm open to ideas. It will be a few weeks before I make a purchase. I'm just now getting the radio wired up and put on the rack.

-- Sunday, 14 June 2015, 9:59 AM --
IMG_1333.JPG
I was hoping this location will work. on the passenger side rear where I have the ruler laid out at. its an 18 inch ruler and the spot I have pin pointed is right at 15 inches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 8:08 AM

The Larsen antennas are nice and good quality, I would think about the NMO mount a little, they are okay for small base loaded antennas but if you want to upgrade to something long and with gain I would use a mount like your Sirio, (SO239).
VHF antennas aren't as particular as to where they are put unlike the HF ones. I couldn't guarantee the CB antenna isn't going to react to the VHF being close, you'll probably have to go through retuning them both several times until their right. Here is where a antenna analyzer comes in handy.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 8:19 AM

I've never had multiple antennas before so I'm a little confused on how they interfere with one another. If I put the two antennas 15 inches apart from each other it can effect the tune/swr on one or both antenna just by physically being on the vehicle? just trying to understand how this works before I drill a big mistake in the car.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

ogdoa
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cobra 2000/RCI2970
Antenna: Maco v5000/102"
Name: Rob 151

Post by ogdoa » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 8:59 AM

Have you looked at the Hustler antennas? They have a unit that is supposed to be able to run triband through one antenna mount.....here is the link.
http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/mo ... age_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure if they will let me post it but maybe one of our sponsors can get you the same thing.
Sometimes you feel like a duck....sometimes you dont.
151 FRIED CHICKEN
Branson, MO
Home channel

southwind
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Shakespeare BigStick
Name: David g.

Post by southwind » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 11:04 AM

:bounce: just trying to understand how this works before I drill a big mistake in the car.

Mark:
Have you thought of a magnetic NMO set up just to check interefence before drill time ? That way you could move it several times to find the right spot. I've often wondered about police vehicles with all those antennas really close together, frequencies/waves, I just don't know, but thought of the NMO idea. Stay out of the heat as much as possible, it's a heat wave down south. Good day. :cheers:
AKA Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station-Uniden Washington, Philippines made, D-104 Tug 8 , Silver Eagle 200/Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp, through "Old Reliable Shakespeare BigStick"... Mobile-148gtl, Cobra 25, NMO firestik.

USAF 1959-1963/ John F. Kennedy Innaguration parade 1961.

Image Image

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 14:54 PM

I could try a mag mount and see. Was hoping someone might have multiple antennas on their vehicle for some do's and Dont's. I found a vehicle pic on another site where a guy had 4 antennas that were installed by a two way radio place but some of the forum members were critical of the spacing of antenna. I could do a front fender mount that would give me the most distance but I'd rather roof mount. I was even thinking about a Larsen glass mount but as a last resort.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 17:26 PM

silvereagle1 wrote:I was even thinking about a Larsen glass mount but as a last resort.
No No, No No No, you would be better to screw a dummy load on the radio.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Sunday, 14 June 2015, 17:48 PM

MDYoungblood wrote:
silvereagle1 wrote:I was even thinking about a Larsen glass mount but as a last resort.
No No, No No No, you would be better to screw a dummy load on the radio.

3's

Greg
i'm glad you said that greg. glass mount no longer an option. I've never liked glass mounts anyway because of the break in connection. cell phones yes two way radio no. I almost let someone talk me into a glass mount the other day. glad I did not order one. I really want to roof mount it.
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

ogdoa
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cobra 2000/RCI2970
Antenna: Maco v5000/102"
Name: Rob 151

Post by ogdoa » Monday, 15 June 2015, 8:01 AM

Multi-Band Adapter
Model VP-1Model VP-1 •Automatic band switching using any three Hustler HF mobile resonators.
•Adapts any Hustler HF mast to tri-band operation easily and quickly.
•For use with model MO-1, MO-2, MO-3, and MO-4.

Has anyone used one of these before?
Sometimes you feel like a duck....sometimes you dont.
151 FRIED CHICKEN
Branson, MO
Home channel

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by silvereagle1 » Monday, 15 June 2015, 8:34 AM

ogdoa wrote:Multi-Band Adapter
Model VP-1Model VP-1 •Automatic band switching using any three Hustler HF mobile resonators.
•Adapts any Hustler HF mast to tri-band operation easily and quickly.
•For use with model MO-1, MO-2, MO-3, and MO-4.

Has anyone used one of these before?
Thanks for the idea. To be honest I'm still learning about that stuff I just want to keep it simple. I want to run my Lincoln 2 and also run my 2 meter rig with out any antenna tuners etc. I'm still trying to educate myself on the reason the two radios will conflict when the antennas are close together. If I can get 20 inches separation and only use 1 radio at a time will this work. The thing that I'm confused about is this. Having the 2nd antenna, will this cause a tune problem just by physically being on the vehicle rather the other radio is on or not? Is it like being parked next to a metal building in some sense? I've been reading up on it on every site I can and there are different answers. On 1 site I found a guy has a suv that has a 10/11 meter antenna plus a scanner antenna and 3 ham antennas he says there are no problems with tune and overload but the members of that site say there would have to be problems. Forgive the "not understanding" I'm just trying to educate myself on multiple antennas I want to maintain my 1.2 swr on the sirio antenna and if I'm reading articles and post correctly then if I add a 2 meter antenna 15 inches away used or not used it will change my swr on the sirio antenna. Am I understanding that correctly?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic