Uniden PC787 SMT BEAST!!!

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Tioga23p
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Everhardt SOTT4

Uniden PC787 SMT BEAST!!!

Post by Tioga23p »

After all of my discussion about various radios, including SSBs, I decided to start with a PC787. Why? Well, Uniden has a good reputation for making quality products. I also read a post where the CB Doctor testified to his experience with the excellent receive with a PC687, and I figured that the PC787 had to be at least as good in that regard. The PC787 also has some extra bells and whistles over the PC687, and the price difference was only $7... which leads to the reason that motivated me to make the move at this time, with this radio: it was $72.90 with free shipping at Amazon.

I'll master this, then see where I go from there.

Here's what I have, at this point:

The PC787 (should be here by 8/29)
ProComm 4.5' Quad Wrap Antenna
Everhardt SOTT4 Antenna
18' of what I think is good coax
ProComm RA930 heavy-duty right angle mount
Firestik SS174 fender mount bracket

I'll let you all know how it works out once it's installed, up-and-running.

That's my report for now.

Dave

-- Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 15:47 PM --

I forgot to ask this in my original post:

Ultimately, I'll try both antennas, but which one do you think I should start with, or does it matter?

As an aside, I don't think this is the most beautiful-looking radio, at least as far as photos and videos I've seen go, but it's not horrible, either. Maybe it'll look better in real life.
A fish swims into a cement wall... what does he say?

DAM!
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Uniden PC787 SMT BEAST!!!

Post by 1206FL »

I'd try the everhardt antenna 1st. At 4ft don't expect to transmit and receive very far. A few miles is about all you'll get with a 4ft antenna. A taller antenna might serve you better, but idk what you are trying to accomplish. Just monitoring channel 19 and for traffic checks or you trying to use it for more than just that? Like talking with other locals and dxing and such. If you are going to get into the hobby, your antenna system is one of the most important things to not skimp out on. Get good antenna, coax, connectors, and a good mount. What you have have now will work, but will not be all it can be due to the antenna being only 4ft tall. So some research before you install and make sure what you have it what you truly want to use. A taller antenna would get you better transmit and receive, but the antennas you have will work for GP use. Like I said, don't expect to get out much further than a few miles with the antenna setup you are going to run. JMHO.
Tioga23p
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tioga23p »

1206FL wrote:A taller antenna might serve you better, but idk what you are trying to accomplish.
I appreciate your comments. I will be running barefoot, at least for the foreseeable future. I would like to achieve the best TX and RX possible, while not looking too extreme.

What antenna would you recommend?

A 102" whip would be the optimal setup, I understand. I would have gone that route from the start, but I'm concerned about the height and hitting things. I did see that Breedlove has some nice trailer hitch mounts, but I'm not sure if that would defeat the purpose of having a 102" whip.

Perhaps a Sirio 5000 Trucker? A Predator 30K? :icon_e_surprised:

DAM!
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

The sirio 5000 trucker or the predator 30K would work well as well as the base loaded sirio performer 5000. On another forum a guy bought the Breedlove mount and sirio 5000 performer and some lmr240 coax. He also got a TNT 350hd and had it worked on. It's now a thermally tracking class ab amp. Anyhow he got great results with the sirio antenna and the Breedlove mount. Good R and X values and swr as well across cb band. The Predator 30k is another good antenna. Get the tallest one you can comparable to a 102" whip. The sirio antennas are about 7ft tall, which is about 1 foot less than a 102"
Whip or 2ft less than the total 108", a 102" whip and 6" spring or riser. What vehicle or type vehicle is this being placed on? That is something I don't see.
Tioga23p
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tioga23p »

It's going on a 2003 Toyota Tacoma DLX 2WD.

DAM!
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Put it on the roof. JMO.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

A sirio 5000 base load. This will keep from breaking things. The Breedlove mount is a good one. Again this is JMO.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The Sirio mount is pretty hefty itself and can get it with either RG58 or RG8x coax, check out some of silvereagle1's posts on the installs plus it is designed to seal the bottom of the load. If you don't have a cap on the bed a 102" whip is the best, have one on my pickup, check out some of my posts.
I haven't heard any complaints about the 787, it's again a single final (no driver transistor) radio so it's the same thing as the 980 (except it's AM only), very limited. Again a power mic will help the modulation and like the 980 it can be wired so no battery will be needed.
That Everhardt antenna is a winner, I would use it, 4ft is my minimum length for CB but it performs quite well and is easily adjusted. The only shortfall with it would be your mounting location, where did you plan to install it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Tioga23p
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tioga23p »

Right now, my thought is to use a fender mount at the driver side.

If I were to use a 102" whip, where would I mount it... in the bed or using a trailer hitch mount? The roof?

Are the 102" and Sirio 5000 head and shoulders better than the antennas that I have?

Will I really get that much of an increase in performance on the roof compared to other locations?

DAM!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The front fender is a good position for the Everhardt. Here is a pic of my whip,
Image Image
This is going to be changed to the other side and I'll be mounting my HF screwdriver on this side soon and a VHF/UHF antenna will be on the roof.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department