Here's an idea for you guys with mag mounts

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: K40 Big Coil
Radio: Magnum s9, XForce 4p

Here's an idea for you guys with mag mounts

Post by chally216 »

I've came up with an idea on how to keep those mag mounts from scratching your paint up. I dont know if anyone has done it yet, but I tell you guys about it.

Plasti-dip. Its removeable rubber paint, a new thing ppl are using for everything. Like me. I painted my whole other car matte black with plastidip lol. Its completely removeable, (when enough coats are applied) and wont ruin your cars finish!

I have done this to the trunk of my Challenger R/T for my Wilson.

Now,
Take your mag mount base and put it on a peice of paper or card board and trace it out on to the material you choose to use. Once thats done, cut out the circle you traced,( or cut it out bigger then the mount) and use the material cut out as a stencil. Now, place the cut out on the trunk or roof of the car. Take your can of Plastidip, and spray it out on the trunk/roof with your stencil. Light coat first, then heavy coats after. Lift stencil after every coat or the dip will stick and peal with the stencil. Let dry for 10 min after each coat. Put about 8 to 10 coats on. After you are done, let dry for at least a half hour.

Hope this helps for you guys as well, and some may be concerned with the SWR match, but it doesn't effect it whatsoever. 1.3 across the band for me!
Unfortunately I couldn't post pictures.

Mopar man just got down
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Here's an idea for you guys with mag mounts

Post by MDYoungblood »

This is good to know, those replacement felt pads can get expensive. You might try the spray on a sheet of wax paper, several coats like you said, letting it dry in between coats, cut to size, remove the wax paper then applying it with contact cement to the magnet base or just leave it loose.
As for pics you will be able to as soon as you increase your post count. You'll be able to change the avatar too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by chally216 »

Thats an Idea too. This stuff is nice, BC it comes in every kind of color out there and peels right off when you want it to. Like I said put no less then 6 coats on the car, or it will be a pain to get off lol
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Sounds like a great idea. Have you put it to the speed test yet? I'm thinking of getting a mag mount comet antenna I may try it.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by chally216 »

It still stays in place, the plastidip isn't even a millimeter thick when you apply those coats. Its just a little over paper thin. All those coats, it just assures adhesion, and easy removal when you want to remove it. When I am able to post pictures I will.

-- Saturday, 31 October 2015, 17:20 PM --

That was only one coat right there, put on at least 6

-- Saturday, 31 October 2015, 17:22 PM --

That was only one coat right there, put on at least 6
Chrisnick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Chrisnick »

I am thinking of doing my wheels with plastic dip.