CB Not Recieving! << Help

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Drifter5
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

CB Not Recieving! << Help

Post by Drifter5 »

My Cobra 29 wx st isn't receiving any signals. When I first start my truck I will hear clear signal from weather or someone talking, but then after a second it goes to just static. I can transmit, but I can't receive. I hate to get a new cb, does anyone know what the problem might be? :icon_rolleyes:

- Drifter 5
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: CB Not Recieving! << Help

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sounds like the truck is the problem, could be it needs a tune up, the engine is producing the noise you are hearing. How is the antenna 's SWR, a low SWR will help reduce the noise by increasing the signal to the radio. Last is could be the charging system. Give us a little more info on the how's and what's, like does the noise (static) increase with engine speed, etc.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Drifter5
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Drifter5 »

I've tried the cb on 2 other vehicles and had the same issue. I will turn the key, hear clear signal for one second, and then back to static. The only extra static I hear is from turning the heater higher. I have my SWR set low and I am getting good transmit. It is weird how it goes from crystal clear to straight static after one second of having it on. Some posts I read that it could be a mic issue, or the cb mighit be blown. I'm going to take apart the mic to see if a wire has disconnected from the soder. I might buy a cheaper cb payday to see if it was the cb itself.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Some static is normal but from what your saying is it's makes a signal unreadable, and this is without the engine running? Where is the antenna located on the vehicle? Your truck may need some bonding done to it, the hood would be a good start, the fenders are normally tied in to the frame and the cab but the doors aren't, check under he bed to see if it has any ground straps on it, you will even have some say but a strap on the exhaust pipe, yes it works too.

3's

Greg

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: I've tried the cb on 2 other vehicles and had the same issue.

With you above statement, I believe I would look @ bad connections such as solder joints in the mic pin connectors ( as you mentioned ). I would also look @ the positive wire and ground wire connections. JMHO, good luck.
David g. :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
Drifter5
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Drifter5 »

I will take my mic apart on my days off to see if they area all connected. I can lose the static with the settings, but it becomes perfect for a half of a second and then goes back to nothing when I first turn the key over. I've went to the road ranger to buy an ash tray power cord to see if it was a power issue and had no change. I'm hoping is the mic.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

What is the noise (static) like without the truck (engine) running? Since you said the radio acts the same in other vehicles than it's is the radio, something in the receive section, most likely a cap is shorting causing the noise. Time to take it to the doctors.

3's

Greg

Drifter5
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Drifter5 »

Driving home from work last night I found that when I select the WX switch, I can hear the weather crystal clear. I can adjust the static to quiet by setting the SQL knob. But when I am in CB mode, I can't see the needle bounce to pick up anyone coming in at all.

I'm confused because I can hear weather now but I have no signals from incoming on CB. My needle moves like it should when transmitting however.