Duramax 8 pill install

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Big Hog
Radio: Stryker

Duramax 8 pill install

Post by BIGHOG »

Its been a while (again) since I posted up about this install. I've been out of the game for a while (again, lol). So I'm really going to get all my good stuff into my 2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed Dually. All of this was mounted in my old S10. There are a bunch of posts I made about the old setup if anybody is interested.

The install will be......
Stryker 447 or General Lee
Ameritron Cross Needle
FatBoy 2x8
Puck Mount with Predator 10K (or maybe a Wilson 5000 screwed to the puck)
Dual 145 Amp Alts with Dual Batteries under the hood

The questions are these.....

Since I have been gone for a while have there been any changes in coax technology? Looking for suggestions from the transmitter to the amp, and the amp to the antenna......
Any new players in the puck mount game?
Anybody have a any antenna location suggestions? I had planned on drilling the hole center/center of the wheelbase and width of the cab. That is a huge ground plane so I figured that would be best.....
I plan on bonding just about everything to maximize the size of this rig and to keep stray RF to a minimum and have reflect looking sweet.
Any other Duramax owners have any experience with these trucks and running big power?

Looking forward to any input and curious if any new info has popped up in the Citizen Band world.

Cant wait to get this Duramax blowing smoke (signal smoke lol) and making good clean contacts....... looking forward to the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIGHOG 406 Mobile Chesterfield, VA
BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond VA
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Re: Duramax 8 pill install

Post by drdx »

Welcome back. Nothing has changed so get that stuff in there, start with a few watts and work from there. The most important piece will be the antenna part. Get that part cooking and show us what you have.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sounds like you have a plan. My suggestion would be quality coax, learn to make your own connectors, good bonding on the vehicle. Like drdx said, once you get the antenna aced the rest will fall into place.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I still like rg213 for moderate power mobile installs. Coax hasn't really changed and probably never will. A lot of guys like lmr400 but I wouldn't bother using it mobile unless it is the ultra flex. Even them the runs are far too short to be worth it.

I'm not sure about the chevy but with dodge and ford pick up installs the antenna seems to tune out easier when mounted as far to the rear as possible. I'd use a mag mount and antenna analyzer to find the sweet spot before drilling.

I like to use a stack of ferrite around the coax at the puck mount to prevent common mode. A choke works too but is harder to hide under the headliner. This will go a long way to prevent RFI issues.

For the antenna I like the skipshooter antennas. I used to run predator antennas and they worked well. I tried a 6 ft skipshooter and really like it. I used to think a 16 pill would smoke a fiberglass antenna but it hasn't happened yet. I'll put it against a predator any day...loser buys the first round of beers. :mrgreen:
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by BIGHOG »

543FtWorth wrote:I still like rg213 for moderate power mobile installs. Coax hasn't really changed and probably never will. A lot of guys like lmr400 but I wouldn't bother using it mobile unless it is the ultra flex. Even them the runs are far too short to be worth it.

I'm not sure about the chevy but with dodge and ford pick up installs the antenna seems to tune out easier when mounted as far to the rear as possible. I'd use a mag mount and antenna analyzer to find the sweet spot before drilling.

I like to use a stack of ferrite around the coax at the puck mount to prevent common mode. A choke works too but is harder to hide under the headliner. This will go a long way to prevent RFI issues.

For the antenna I like the skipshooter antennas. I used to run predator antennas and they worked well. I tried a 6 ft skipshooter and really like it. I used to think a 16 pill would smoke a fiberglass antenna but it hasn't happened yet. I'll put it against a predator any day...loser buys the first round of beers. :mrgreen:

When you say "stack" how many and where are you getting them? Are they all the same?
BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond VA
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

BIGHOG wrote:
543FtWorth wrote:I still like rg213 for moderate power mobile installs. Coax hasn't really changed and probably never will. A lot of guys like lmr400 but I wouldn't bother using it mobile unless it is the ultra flex. Even them the runs are far too short to be worth it.

When you say "stack" how many and where are you getting them? Are they all the same?
I think I used 4 on my install. It's really overkill because with a puck you shouldn't have any issues. I got lucky and found some very effective beads at a local store. Unfortunately I don't know the mix. I'll have to send you a PM since they aren't a sponsor.

A couple if them solved most if the RFI I had with the antenna mounted behind the cab. I used them plus a couple more when I installed the puck for insurance.

My understanding is mix 31 ferrite is good for frequencies below 30mhz and mix 43 for frequencies above 30 mhz. I would say mix 31 would be a good choice but any harmonics will be around 54 mhz. I don't know if it would be beneficial to have a couple of each mix.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I also use snap ferrites,
Imageclick on pic
These are used in the Palomar choke kits, you can find them online, don't think any of the sponsors carry them. I use 6 to 8 depending on what antenna I'm installing them on and a group of 6 right behind the radio. Here is the spec sheet on them, https://product.tdk.com/info/ ... 5_zcat.pdf . You can get them in just about any size to fit the coax tight, 13mm is good for RG8, 213, LMR400.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
BIGHOG
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by BIGHOG »

That's some good info guys! Thanks for the tips.

-- August 06 2016 --

So the Breedlove puck came in. I know from testing with a magnetic base WIlson1000 that the best antenna tune is directly over where the dome light is.(comes in at 1.3 across the band). No bonding of any kind yet. My concern is with the puck mounted that close to power wires for the dome light it might cause an issues? Just planning ahead before I drill the hole. Just to refresh, build will be..... Getting anxious waiting on the coax, who would have thought it takes 5 days to ship something from Montana to VA..... :evil: . Ready to get this thing rollin :drunken:

Stryker 447 HPC
LMR213 to box
Fatboy 2x8 (1/0 dedicated run for the amp)
LMR400UF to Breedlove mount
Predator 10K or 108" SS whip on occasion
Amritron Cross Needle
Dual 145 Delco alts
Factory Dual Batteries under the hood
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed Dually

-- August 06 2016 --
BIGHOG wrote:That's some good info guys! Thanks for the tips.

-- August 06 2016 --

So the Breedlove puck came in. I know from testing with a magnetic base WIlson1000 that the best antenna tune is directly over where the dome light is.(comes in at 1.3 across the band). No bonding of any kind yet. My concern is with the puck mounted that close to power wires for the dome light it might cause an issues? Just planning ahead before I drill the hole. Just to refresh, build will be..... Getting anxious waiting on the coax, who would have thought it takes 5 days to ship something from Montana to VA..... :evil: . Ready to get this thing rollin :drunken:

Stryker 447 HPC
LMR213 to box
Fatboy 2x8 (1/0 dedicated run for the amp)
LMR400UF to Breedlove mount
Predator 10K or 108" SS whip on occasion
Amritron Cross Needle
Dual 145 Delco alts
Factory Dual Batteries under the hood
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed Dually

Coax has arrived. Any input on the puck location related to the dome light???????? Anyone?

-- August 08 2016 --

I got the rough install in the Duramax yesterday enough to get the antenna set. No power on the box yet. This has me confused though..... The SWR s are 1.1 across the band with a 108 SS whip, barely even bump the needle..... When I switch to the Predator 10K I cant get ant better than a 1.5 across the band :oops: Any idea on what to do now? I will post up some pics of the install this evening. This really has me bummed out. I love my 108 but puck mounted on top of a dually is just too high for driving around.

I plan on doing plenty of bonding getting ready to turn the box on but, I don't feel like the two antennas should be that far from each other?????
BIGHOG 406 Mobile
Richmond VA