RF/Ground

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Mermaid
Antenna: 6 element
Radio: Cobra

RF/Ground

Post by LadyMermaid »

Mobile amp causing windshield wipers to go crazy and squealing. I know many do not ground their equipment. After thinking RF and ground was the problem, installed a better radio with a bit more power and the wipers are no longer going crazy. I am sure grounding is still needed and RF ferrites. I have been told to ground all corners of the vehicle. I think this grounding things is NO joke. I know back in the day, we would ground our poles for the base station -- put salt in the ground. I guess we are lazy these days. Any thoughts? I remember someone mentioning people not talking in the mobiles because of RF. I keep the mobile amp far away from me. I think my base amp gives off something -- :?: :?: :?: :fish:
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: RF/Ground

Post by 443 Arizona »

maybe when you installed the different radio,,, you did the wiring differently ? for sure some kind of shared connection.
and on your other question, the higher powered mobiles would make your hair fall out on the left side,,,(naw just kidding,maybe).
if your worried about emissions from the base amp, you could build a tinfoil cover.
if it smells, clean it with those specialty cleaners.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

ground.ground.ground...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I agree with the others, if you plan to run massive amounts of wattage you can't forget to bond the vehicle. Putting snap beads on the leads to the wiper motor will help. Another problem I've been coming across is new vehicles are using more and more LED's, dash lights, third brake light, electronic relays instead of switches, and engine's computers. I've come to the conclusion that running more than 500 watts (even that may be too much) in today's vehicles just isn't worth the aggravation.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Mermaid
Antenna: 6 element
Radio: Cobra

Post by LadyMermaid »

I was running a 2 pill in my Maxima but now having some check engine light issues so not running anything. For my suv 4runner 1999, I run btwn 2 pill and 4 pill. Not much going on with this older truck but the wipers going off. The superstar radio seems to fix the problem...no more wipers going off...didnt do anything different with the hook up. I am playing around with different options to see what works the best. I have had good times with my superstar radio just as I have with my Cobra 2000s.....when a radio has an extra kick amps seem to be happy. Gotcha on that advice for the base amp. We will be grounding the amp...waiting for the braid copper to come in. thanks all mermaid in cali
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Roger on the braid and I like to use terminal lugs too, makes for a cleaner looking install. Start with adding one to the case of the amp itself then check, if the problem is still there then one on the negative battery terminal to the body, then the hood and trunk lid, etc.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
JaxJim
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by JaxJim »

I bonded the hood, both front fenders, main body of truck, aluminum tonneau cover, tailgate and back side fenders. Negative battery terminal was already bonded. Also bonded the antenna mount. After all of this work, at it wasn't that much really, there is less static and using an antenna analyzer, to test the swr is now pretty flat across the band. There is no noise or whine on the radio and the signal being transmitted is nice and clean. This project was worth the effort in my opinion.

Used copper braid and ring terminals and lock washers to get a good "bite" into the metal. Sprayed each end with Boeing T-9 to keep corrosion in check.