Cobra 29 Mod and Mount

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Hondarider
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Nick
Antenna: A99
Radio: Cobra 29, Royce 632

Cobra 29 Mod and Mount

Post by Hondarider »

Good evening everyone, its been awhile.
I am looking to get back into the swing of things and installing a mobile setup in my 2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma. While i was browsing online earlier i came across this thread on tacomaworld where someone decided to relocate the face of a cobra 29. I just want to get your guys opinion on this, i am skeptical even if it is done correctly.

Link:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/t ... ole.49635/

Let me know what you guys think,
-Nick
Hondarider
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Cobra 29 Mod and Mount

Post by MDYoungblood »

I saw that article years ago and there was never an update. Personally I wouldn't think it is cost efficient and all those cat cables. A cheaper way to go would be an Icom or Kenwood ham radio with the removable face.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Hondarider
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Hondarider »

Hi Greg, which ham transceivers do you recommend that have the removable face? I have been looking into those as well. It's a shame 11 meters doesn't have any radios with a removable face except from that one from midland.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hondarider
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Look at both the Icom and Kenwood mobiles. I'm kind of parcel to the Icom IC-706, look for a later numbered radio, the MKIIG is what I have in my pickup but I'm a hammie and never use it on CB. Now if size is the issue look at the Anytone AT-6666, it's smaller than a Uniden 510 or Cobra 19, it's a 10m conversion to 11m as well just by a menu change, 60w SSB, 45W AM, good modulation on both right out of the box, if your interested PM me about it.

3's

Greg

Hondarider
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Hondarider »

MDYoungblood wrote: August 7th, 2017, 6:56 am Look at both the Icom and Kenwood mobiles. I'm kind of parcel to the Icom IC-706, look for a later numbered radio, the MKIIG is what I have in my pickup but I'm a hammie and never use it on CB. Now if size is the issue look at the Anytone AT-6666, it's smaller than a Uniden 510 or Cobra 19, it's a 10m conversion to 11m as well just by a menu change, 60w SSB, 45W AM, good modulation on both right out of the box, if your interested PM me about it.

3's

Greg
The Icom IC-706 looks like a great radio, I love the remote face which I think would fit perfectly in the Tacoma below the heating/AC controls in the center console. I have an old 2m transceiver that I enjoy listening on and I want to get my Technician class license in the near future. So it is nice to see that the IC-706 has 2m/440 as well. I believe that the 706 is not in production any longer? Any recommendations on a radio with similar features to the 706 that is in production?

Thanks again, Nick
Hondarider
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hondarider wrote: August 9th, 2017, 8:08 pm
MDYoungblood wrote: August 7th, 2017, 6:56 am Look at both the Icom and Kenwood mobiles. I'm kind of parcel to the Icom IC-706, look for a later numbered radio, the MKIIG is what I have in my pickup but I'm a hammie and never use it on CB. Now if size is the issue look at the Anytone AT-6666, it's smaller than a Uniden 510 or Cobra 19, it's a 10m conversion to 11m as well just by a menu change, 60w SSB, 45W AM, good modulation on both right out of the box, if your interested PM me about it.

3's

Greg
The Icom IC-706 looks like a great radio, I love the remote face which I think would fit perfectly in the Tacoma below the heating/AC controls in the center console. I have an old 2m transceiver that I enjoy listening on and I want to get my Technician class license in the near future. So it is nice to see that the IC-706 has 2m/440 as well. I believe that the 706 is not in production any longer? Any recommendations on a radio with similar features to the 706 that is in production?

Thanks again, Nick
The IC-7000 is the newer model but it's been discontinued as well. I picked the 706MKIIG just because it has 2m and 70cm, they still go for a good price. If you want something newer just keep watching, the big ham radio company's come out with something new every few months and it seems radios are getting smaller each time.

3's

Greg