Eletronic noise

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Don357
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Hound Dog
Antenna: Tram TBC9
Radio: Connex 3300HP,

Eletronic noise

Post by Don357 »

I just installed my radio set up into my pickup and have a problem with electronic noise. I have a 2000 F-150 and installed my Connex 3300 HP, a 225 Palomar with a noise filter and a Browning Bigcat 9 antenna. I had the same set-up in my big-rig and had no noise. The noise sounds like alternator noise. I have the power ran directly to the battery and the radio, and amp are grounded to the cab/chassis, and the antenna is mounted directly to the body. SWR is optimum between 1 and 1.75. I have tried it with and without the amp inline and still have noise. Different radio, a Cobra 29 LTD, still noise. However, a Cobra 19 plugged into the cig lighter and a magnetic antenna, has no noise. :think: ??? Any ideas?????
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: Eletronic noise

Post by 295 antenna »

sometimes it because the power wires are next to another wire the cause the problem try moving the wires around and see if it changes.
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

Just thinking of something also make sure your battery is grounded well
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Sounds like it's time to do some bonding...

May try running a ground strap off one of the radios mounting knobs to a good grounding point under the dash on the firewall...(or you can run the ground strap off the radios mounting bracket, I've just found it easier to attach the ground wire on one of the knobs using a eyelet fastener.)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

have you tried to unplug the antenna lead from the back of the radio to see if the noise stops while all is running. if the noise goes away the noise is coming in through the antenna and not the power wires. Fords are bad for fuel pump noise which is a whining noise similar to alt noise on your year of truck.
if the noise goes away when you unplug the antenna you will have to bond all the grounds as JJD mentioned to help cut the noise back.
some times you can use a mag mount antenna to help cut back some of the noise coming in through the antenna, but not always.
good luck finding your problem.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Actually Ford's themselves are noisy vehicles, I was surprised to hear the Cobra 19 and magnet mount worked well. The problem is going to be either the alternator or fuel pump. alternator noise varies with engine speed but is only heard with the engine running, same with bad plugs or plug wires, fuel pump noise is heard as soon as you turn the key on, key off there should be no noise.
The fuel pump you can go to Ford parts dealer and buy a filter for inline to rid you of that noise or replace the pump (new pumps come with a filter built in). A good tune up with fresh wires and plugs will cure most ignition problems. Last is the alternator, depending on it's age the easiest solution would be to replace it, the problem with them usually one or more of the rectifier diodes are going bad.
I also would do the bonding thing like JJD mentioned and don't forget the tailpipe.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Don357
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Hound Dog
Antenna: Tram TBC9
Radio: Connex 3300HP,

Post by Don357 »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to do more trouble shooting I see. At least I have some new things to check. I am surprised that the filter that I already have on it didn't get it. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

[ Post made via Android ] Image