Getting through the window

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
goofy
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Getting through the window

Post by goofy »

I'm looking into moving my base setup into the house from its position on a screened in back porch.

How have guys handled getting your cables into the house?

Im thinking about some kind of portal that mounts in a standard window frame. I guess I can get handy and try my hand at making my own out of a 2X4 or something..

I'd like it to seal well, and have decent insulation properties...
Slim Pickins
Donor
Donor
Handle: Slim Pickins
Call Sign: VE1PEW
Radio: Realistic Navajo 457

Re: Getting through the window

Post by Slim Pickins »

I once used a piece of 2" ridgid foam insulation with a layer of 1/4" plywood insulation glued to the outside, Drilled a hole for the coax and caulked it once the coax was through. Set it in the window frame and locked down the window with a couple of pieces of wood to fit from the top of the frame to the top of the sash.

73s
Paul
73,Slim

Insanity is hereditary......you get it from your children.
PRO151

Post by PRO151 »

One idea-http://www.hamuniverse.com/kb ... dthru.html

You can also buy them pre-built.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

There's always this for $70 http://www.mfjenterprises.com ... J-4602.jpg
but I would make my own and save the bucks.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

I've used a 1x6 board drilled for bulkhead connectors and for ladder line. It's worked fine for years. Not exactly the best carpentry in the world, but then it works. Some air leakage around it, but only cuz I'm too lazy to fix it. No screen on that window so tend to swat bugs occasionally.
didn't look at the link, but MFJ makes several types with just about every connector type known to man. Suit yourself.
- 'Doc
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: wilson 1000
Radio: cobra 29ltd chrome

Post by LilRodbuster »

how come nobody has just drilled through the wall like the cable company or c0me through the soffet down through the wall that's what I am going to do then you can even put a cover on it just like the cable guys

my 2 cts anyhow
Every Day is a new day make it better then the last
With prayer all is possible
linx

Post by linx »

All these ideas are a great, just keep in mind the more connections you make the more line loss you're going to have. It's not a ton, but it does add up by the time you have a couple of bulkheads or barrel connectors.
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: wilson 1000
Radio: cobra 29ltd chrome

Post by LilRodbuster »

i agree no splices 100ft or what is needed of coax
Every Day is a new day make it better then the last
With prayer all is possible
tractor guy
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Tractor Guy
Antenna: Ground Plane
Radio: President Washington

Post by tractor guy »

I ran mine through a crawlspace vent that I have sealed with 2" pink foam. I just notched the foam to fit. I then ran the coax through the wall to the "shack"

Joe
1953 Tractor Guy
Central Indiana
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

If this were for VHF/UHF then I'd worry about losses from connectors (a little). But for HF, it just isn't going to make any significant difference. A couple of PL-259s and a bulkhead connector just will not mean enough to matter.
I've seen feed lines run in almost all the ways listed here. I haven't seen much difference between any of them. Which would be easiest for you, that's the part that's 'importantest'...
- 'Doc
A NUMBER 1
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by A NUMBER 1 »

For just one cable,there are of course,lots of options,if you plan in the future for more cables,I drilled a hole beneath the window,like you said the cables companys do,but only bigger,then inserted a piece of PVC pipe,sealed all around the outer pipe with caulk,then as I needed,just insert different cables and use some insulation materials to keep out varmits and bugs and keep the heat/cold in.

A NUMBER 1
Nagant
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: M104C, V-Quad
Radio: To Many To List

Post by Nagant »

I've run all mine under my house through the crawl space entrance and drilled holes in the floor to run them trough. I keep the holes at a real tight tolerance where the coax just barely makes it through the hole as I don't want mice to get in. I did have one that I used a slightly big drill bit for and ended up packing the excess space around the coax with steel wool. Then I used silicon over the top of that to make a better air seal. Mice normally won't chew steel wool and if they do it can be fatal to them going by what I’ve read. Of course I hope one never decides to chew my cable. LOL