102" ss whip for base antenna?

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
816dx
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Radio: realistic trc-449

102" ss whip for base antenna?

Post by 816dx »

ive browsed around and found some information regarding this but i didnt find a definitive answer to my question. basically it's this; i'm building my base setup again, havent had one for a few years, and i have a 102" ss whip im thinking of using for my antenna mounted to a grounded pole, my question with this is will it be high in SWR just as it is or is a ground plane needed for it to operate at a low SWR. ive seen pictures and videos online of both situations, i know every scenerio is different but basically just looking how i should go along with making a groundplane for it. many thanks to all
hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v

Re: 102" ss whip for base antenna?

Post by hilltop 439 »

The 102 inch whip is great for mobile use but as far as a base antenna my i suggest a Antron 99 there fairly inexpensive and will knock the socks off anything you could fabricate for the 102 inch whip.
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Post by Sporty Mike »

I have done it in a pinch, but the 102 is born and bred for mobile use. It's almost impossible to get the SWR's down low when mounted on a mast. Although it does work fairly decent and it is certainly better than trying to use a loaded whip as a base. Give it a shot and just remember two things...counterpoise and ground!!

Mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
816dx
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 816dx »

thanks guys for the info, ya i guess the 103 is best for mobile and i'll prob just use it for that and give a look into one more suitable for base use
thanks again
73's
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

That 102" whip will work just fine as a 1/4 wave base antenna. Or half of a 1/2 wave base antenna. You just have to add the 'other half' to it. That 'other half' can be in the shape of a couple/few radials making it a grounplane type antenna, or another 102" whip as the 'other half' of a 1/2 wave dipole antenna (vertical or horizontal, doesn't matter). But you have to add that 'other half' in some form or it isn't a complete antenna.
- 'Doc
816dx
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 816dx »

thanks doc. ya i was figuring tha if i were to add the elements on to make it a ground plane that they would have to be of equal length
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

A 102" whip was my first base antenna. If you just put the antenna up on a pole you will never get the SWR down and won't have very good range. I used a 8' 6" piece of solid copper wire for a ground plane and it made a night and day difference. I left the insulation on the wire and tied it off at a 45 degree angle with some small rope but you can use anything non-conductive. Later on I added another radial and dot the SWR lower. Leave the radial a little long and you can trim some off to adjust the SWR.
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

As others have stated, it will work - IF you add a second whip or even wire to act as the other half of the antenna. But with the time and effort needed, getting an Antron-99 might be the best approach. Relatively inexpensive and it's easy to install.
Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99
HomerBB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: Homer, 2WR183, Country Preacher
Call Sign: K5HBB
Radio: IC-746

Post by HomerBB »

I made a 1/4ƛ GP antenna from scratch. You have the whip for the vertical. Just add some radials and you're done.

It's Not Crazy, If It Works
The 11 Meters MacGyver
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

nice to go out and just buy a Maco V-5/8 and install it correctly and put it up and be done with it

its simple just pay that little extra for some peace of mind and also have alot better range both TX and RX
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
Deleted User 14541

I was in jr high in my 102" whip days...as soon as I got a job I ordered an Imax 2000. :lol:
816dx
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 816dx »

After the good help you guys have gave me, I've lookied into the antron 99 and think its the bestg rout. I was looking at them online and saw that the sell just the antenna by its self and alspo have an optional ground plane kit for it. I wonder if its worth getting because most pics and vids I've seen on it are just the antenna alone. Anyway I'm going to go with the 99 and keep the 102 for mobile, just put in an order for a tri mag mount. Again I just wanted to thank everyone for the helpfull info
HomerBB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: Homer, 2WR183, Country Preacher
Call Sign: K5HBB
Radio: IC-746

Post by HomerBB »

I think you'll enjoy your A99, however, in my experience, the GP kit does nothing to improve the antenna.
It's Not Crazy, If It Works
The 11 Meters MacGyver
Aviator
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Aviator
Call Sign: 2CT687
Antenna: 102" SS Whip
Radio: DX66V

Post by Aviator »

I disagree with EVERYTHING said here. I run a 102" SS whip 25 foot in the air on TV antenna mast with a counterpoise and my SWR is FLAT. No exaggeration, my meter doesn't even move when I key. Runnin an RCI 2950 with a D104 lollipop and I'm always getting flowers from both locals and DX contacts. To the OP, I can get you some pics if you'd like.
Six-Eighty-Seven Leesburg, Florida; Most Active On 38LSB & 27.555USB
"Yea, it's a 102" SS Whip 25 Foot In The Air.....No I'm Not Kiddin'"
Deleted User 14541

Aviator wrote:I disagree with EVERYTHING said here. I run a 102" SS whip 25 foot in the air on TV antenna mast with a counterpoise and my SWR is FLAT. No exaggeration, my meter doesn't even move when I key. Runnin an RCI 2950 with a D104 lollipop and I'm always getting flowers from both locals and DX contacts. To the OP, I can get you some pics if you'd like.
I believe it. Mine was only about 12 feet off the ground and I talked to base stations 25 miles away on a regular basis with a peaked cobra 29. Adding the counter poise was the key because it was worthless without it. The swr was around 1.3 but probably would have improved with more height. I had a bandit 2 and then an imax after that but can't make a fair comparison because they were up 30 ft on a push up pole.