RCI 2980wx amp suggestions

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
tracker5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Siro tornadsiIRO5000
Radio: Stonewall Jackson

RCI 2980wx amp suggestions

Post by tracker5 »

I have a Rci2980wx and I'm wanting to match up a decent amp to run with it. I have a buddy with a nice nearly new 1x2 Skywalker base amp he wants to sell. I was wondering if that would be an alright amp for my 2980wx? My radio dk about 4w to 5w swings to about 40w with rf power on low. I tried to turn the dk down lower but it sounds scratchy with modulation. Even if i run it with a amp. (Is there any mod I can do so it won't sound scratchy?)
I'm running a Texas star 350dx that is hooked up to a car battery at the moment and it does real well. But I want to put that back in my SUV. Would you think the Skywalker 1x2 handle my 2980wx dk and swing? `I can get it at a fairly decent price.
The only reason why he wants to sell it i because he upgraded to a much bigger amp setup.
The other amp I was looking at was a brand new Davemade Funker base but I can get the skywalker from my buddy much cheaper. Any suggestion would be appricated. :?:
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Re: RCI 2980wx amp suggestions

Post by drdx »

The radio, with 40w, is too much for the 1 in the 1x2. In fact, it is really too much for a straight 2 pill but you can do it. The 2879 "pill" only needs 10 watts for great drive, per the specs, and be running nicely. So...... a straight 4 pill would do fine and make the most of the radio's drive. If you're content with the power of a 1x2, and it is probably plenty for many, then get it since it is a good price but don't put over 10w or so into that 1x2, as it doesn't need the drive. The 1 pill is there for that.

Something else to think about is that if your radio is doing 40w a 2 pill amp is not going to add a whole lot of signal, maybe 1.5 s-units or so on voice peaks. The 4 pill would add to that nicely.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
tracker5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by tracker5 »

drdx wrote:The radio, with 40w, is too much for the 1 in the 1x2. In fact, it is really too much for a straight 2 pill but you can do it. The 2879 "pill" only needs 10 watts for great drive, per the specs, and be running nicely. So...... a straight 4 pill would do fine and make the most of the radio's drive. If you're content with the power of a 1x2, and it is probably plenty for many, then get it since it is a good price but don't put over 10w or so into that 1x2, as it doesn't need the drive. The 1 pill is there for that.

Something else to think about is that if your radio is doing 40w a 2 pill amp is not going to add a whole lot of signal, maybe 1.5 s-units or so on voice peaks. The 4 pill would add to that nicely.

-drdx
Yes your right, I only get about 1.5 s unit differnce with my 2 pill. I really don't need to much more power. Just like to have enough to shoot some skip. I don't think I will get that 1x2 or the other 2pill. I think I will save a little more money and get a 4 pill. Now I have been looking at a fatboy base 4 pill. They have 2 kinds 4x1446 Base and 4x2879. The 4x1446 is rated for high drive radios but would rather have 4x2879. drdx do you think the 4x2879 is a good choice or the 4x1446? What kind of wattage do you think I could get driving either of the two with my radio?
Thanks for your suggestions.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

I'd go for the 2879 box myself. I'd guess you'd see 500w or so peak? Probably much more on a generous meter, but really the skip part is going to depend on conditions and of course your antenna system. The antenna is the cheapest area to see the most return if you haven't got it all up to speed there yet, and that includes nice low loss coax. You can shoot skip on your radio barefoot if the conditions are right but more power will help ease you over the others at times.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
tracker5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by tracker5 »

drdx wrote:I'd go for the 2879 box myself. I'd guess you'd see 500w or so peak? Probably much more on a generous meter, but really the skip part is going to depend on conditions and of course your antenna system. The antenna is the cheapest area to see the most return if you haven't got it all up to speed there yet, and that includes nice low loss coax. You can shoot skip on your radio barefoot if the conditions are right but more power will help ease you over the others at times.

-drdx
Yes, you are right the antenna is the cheapest area to see the most return.
I'm making me an antenna upgrade soon. Right now I have an A99 30ft in the air with 50ft mini 8 coax. I just got a good deal on a 40ft roan tower and going to order me a Imax and about 60ft of Altelicon CA-400 Cable with
Amphenol Brand PL-259 connectors. Most of my cb friends upgraded from A99 and some said they saw almost 2 s unit on transmit and recieve. And also they say it is a much quiter antenna more broad banded. Hopefully that will bring me up to speed. Imax speed anyhow.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Well, going from that height, that antenna, and that coax, to an Imax with good coax at 60 feet is a big jump. I wouldn't doubt that you'd see a jump in performance. Before you do all that, note the signal strengths of various stations up close and far out, good bases with reliable stable signals. After the change to 60, see if the close up ones get stronger or weaker. It is possible to be too high with an antenna for close up local contacts, and the same goes for skip to various distances, but I'd still go for the 60 foot mark. You can always put up a lower antenna, like your antron, for comparison and variety.

Another thought: Keep the 2 pill in line, spend that 4 pill money on a simple 3 element beam and cheap rotor, or make your own yagi, hex, or moxon, and make that 2 pill perform like and 8 pill or larger based on gain alone. And on top of that, the antenna also aids in better receive, something the amp isn't going to improve.

Do you operate sideband much? That may largely determine your amp choice.

-drdx

-drdx
tracker5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by tracker5 »

drdx wrote:Well, going from that height, that antenna, and that coax, to an Imax with good coax at 60 feet is a big jump. I wouldn't doubt that you'd see a jump in performance. Before you do all that, note the signal strengths of various stations up close and far out, good bases with reliable stable signals. After the change to 60, see if the close up ones get stronger or weaker. It is possible to be too high with an antenna for close up local contacts, and the same goes for skip to various distances, but I'd still go for the 60 foot mark. You can always put up a lower antenna, like your antron, for comparison and variety.

Another thought: Keep the 2 pill in line, spend that 4 pill money on a simple 3 element beam and cheap rotor, or make your own yagi, hex, or moxon, and make that 2 pill perform like and 8 pill or larger based on gain alone. And on top of that, the antenna also aids in better receive, something the amp isn't going to improve.

Do you operate sideband much? That may largely determine your amp choice.

-drdx
drdx you have some awsome suggestions! I've always use ground plane antennas but always wondered how much better beams would be. It crossed my mind several times putting up a small set of beams. I did not know a a simple 3 element beam would be that much gain. Sirio SY27-3 or Maco M-103C with Antennacraft TDP-2 Ant. Rotor? It wont be 60ft in the air I will need 60ft of coax to reach my base.I got a 40ft tower with 10ft mast. I think the siro is lighter but the maco has little more db gain. I would run them verticle. Think that would be alright? Thankyou for all your suggestions your a great help.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

You can put the beam vertical and it would help with local signals but you don't want to put a vertical ground plane over a vertical beam. The vertical will probably be directional as well as it "sees" the beam. A common setup is a vertical over a horizontal beam. The beam acts as the ground plane but keep in mind for local use the beam will need to be verticle as local mobiles and most bases will be vertical. The signal drop when trying to communicate on a flat antenna to verticals is 20db or so, not good. A small 3 element beam will effectively QUADRUPLE your signal in a given direction. That's big, for transmit and receive, but it depends on what you want. I don't know if I'd do a 10 foot mast out of the top of a tower. I'd probably keep the beam closer to the tower top if it is flat, up more if it is vertical to keep the beam's pattern as clean as possible. A beam 10 foot above the top of a tower can have quite a bit of leverage in high winds. They make special masts for those applications and they aren't cheap. Then again, a small 8 foot long 3 element beam isn't all that heavy and people do it all the time.

There are many others on here that may chime in on a beam topic. The topic here is about an amp so it may get missed but look around. We've covered the topic numerous times on here and there is a lot of great info posted.

-drdx

-drdx
tracker5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by tracker5 »

I'll start new post on beam thankyou.
Rooster173

Post by Rooster173 »

drdx wrote:The radio, with 40w, is too much for the 1 in the 1x2. In fact, it is really too much for a straight 2 pill but you can do it. The 2879 "pill" only needs 10 watts for great drive, per the specs, and be running nicely. So...... a straight 4 pill would do fine and make the most of the radio's drive. If you're content with the power of a 1x2, and it is probably plenty for many, then get it since it is a good price but don't put over 10w or so into that 1x2, as it doesn't need the drive. The 1 pill is there for that.

-drdx
40w def not too much for a 1x2. While the 2879 may only need 10watts drive to get 100 per transistor. Driving with 40watts will only get more out of it.
Rooster173

Post by Rooster173 »

tracker5 wrote:

-drdx
Yes your right, I only get about 1.5 s unit differnce with my 2 pill. I really don't need to much more power. Just like to have enough to shoot some skip. I don't think I will get that 1x2 or the other 2pill. I think I will save a little more money and get a 4 pill. Now I have been looking at a fatboy base 4 pill. They have 2 kinds 4x1446 Base and 4x2879. The 4x1446 is rated for high drive radios but would rather have 4x2879. drdx do you think the 4x2879 is a good choice or the 4x1446? What kind of wattage do you think I could get driving either of the two with my radio?
Thanks for your suggestions.
If you decide to get the 2879 box you can throw a one pill modulator between your radio and the 4pill get some more watts out of it. With a 40 watt radio alone id say it will do between 450 or 500 on a new DOSEY meter PEP watts. With a one or two pill amp driving it youd probably be looking at between 800 to 1000 PEP. Of course this all depends on your swr, a lot of people get crazy power ratings because of a high swr along with a worn out meter. Best of luck to you on your amp. One of the better small amps i ever had was a 4x2879 xforce did a fine job for me.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Interesting, so by that thinking the 4 pill needs 160 watts of drive? Maybe so, they do make a "2x4" and some buy them. How much does 1000 watts peak on a dosy meter compare to a reliable meter and with a low pass filter in line to see something closer to reality? And what is the increased likelihood of TVI by driving one that hard? How much more signal are we talking about in increase from 500 to 1000 watts? By my math, a half a pound, but maybe if Dosy made radio signal meters it would be 3 or 4. :lol: But I'm sure it is true, driving a 2879 with 40w will get more out of it, but more what? Heat? Wear and tear? Harmonics? TVI? yep, yep, and yep I do believe. If you need it that bad, just up the pill count. 250 watts per pill is more than even the most optimistic builders put out there on their websites when operated on stock voltage so there's a clue for you there.

I'm not sure how much more a cheap Dosy grade meter reads than a higher end meter. If you're using that same Dosy meter to measure the 40w drive, you're probably not really driving with 40 watts. So what may look like 40 watts drive per pill for a 1000w peak outcome on a Dosy meter may in reality be a 20W drive and 500 watts in the real world. Using a cheap meter that reads more wattage isn't going to make you get out any better than using a good meter that reads a more realistic figure but if it feels good then get one. These meters aren't scientific anyway and just a relative measuring device.

One final thought on drive though is that when you say 40 watts, I guess it depends on how often you're hitting that mark and how. If you're whistling and hitting it then you're not doing 40w peak unless you whistle to talk. Average voice level peaks are more closer to what will determine things as far as the outcome.

All this talk makes that beam sound better and better all the time.

-drdx

-drdx
Rooster173

Post by Rooster173 »

drdx wrote:Interesting, so by that thinking the 4 pill needs 160 watts of drive? Maybe so, they do make a "2x4" and some buy them. How much does 1000 watts peak on a dosy meter compare to a reliable meter and with a low pass filter in line to see something closer to reality? And what is the increased likelihood of TVI by driving one that hard? How much more signal are we talking about in increase from 500 to 1000 watts? By my math, a half a pound, but maybe if Dosy made radio signal meters it would be 3 or 4. :lol: But I'm sure it is true, driving a 2879 with 40w will get more out of it, but more what? Heat? Wear and tear? Harmonics? TVI? yep, yep, and yep I do believe. If you need it that bad, just up the pill count. 250 watts per pill is more than even the most optimistic builders put out there on their websites when operated on stock voltage so there's a clue for you there.

I'm not sure how much more a cheap Dosy grade meter reads than a higher end meter. If you're using that same Dosy meter to measure the 40w drive, you're probably not really driving with 40 watts. So what may look like 40 watts drive per pill for a 1000w peak outcome on a Dosy meter may in reality be a 20W drive and 500 watts in the real world. Using a cheap meter that reads more wattage isn't going to make you get out any better than using a good meter that reads a more realistic figure but if it feels good then get one. These meters aren't scientific anyway and just a relative measuring device.

One final thought on drive though is that when you say 40 watts, I guess it depends on how often you're hitting that mark and how. If you're whistling and hitting it then you're not doing 40w peak unless you whistle to talk. Average voice level peaks are more closer to what will determine things as far as the outcome.
What kind of higher end meter are would you suggest using since you seem to be a meter expert, maybe a bird which is only good for rms, considering the peak version reads very loose. Or maybe an mfj, which i have found to be very loose. Maybe a paradynamics, well no not it either because it is worse than the others. I have ran a lot of of meters and if youre running under 4000 watts to me the dosey is the way to go. As for voltage most "comp" amplifiers run on more than 13.8 volts in fact most run at 17.5 or higher which of course will make the transistor put out more than it is rated at. Plus averaging in the higher drive.

Back to the subject of how much the radio is putting out, running it through a dummyload will give a very accurate depiction of the actual wattage ruling out a rating influenced by swr. All i know is based off the radio at factory specs running around 4watts, after being peaked the same radio does over 40 on a dummyload I dont think that is too unreasonable.

I could argue all day with someone about wattage outputs. Facts are many companies make a 2x4 amp 2x2290 driving 4x2879 and rate them at around 1200 to 1300 "bird" watts. When i put the on the meter with around 1.5 watt deadkey around 40 watts swing the same amp will do close to 1000 watts swing PEP and deadkey around 150 to 200 not putting a high strain on the pills. A lot of people don't realize a high deadkey will kill your pills way before the swing will. Gets down to it you can get away with running some pretty crazy stuff as long as the deadkey is low.
Now on the subject of a low pass filter I run a filter between my watt meter and final amp a slight wattage difference is noticeable but nothing to sweat. But really wattage fluxuation can be caused by anything perhaps its not the filter causing the drop but the extra "jumper" or 3feet of coax put in line. Adding or taking away a jumper can cause wattage to drop or rise. Give it a try

Now on the original subject of our friend wondering what amp to use, if you choose a 4x2879 box driving it with just the radio it should last forever. If you drive it you may have to replace the pills ever so often especially if you plan on running a 4 to 5 watt deadkey which in my opinion is far to high if you plan to drive the amp with a 2 pill or one pill.

Fact is regardless of anyones opinion everyone will run their radio how they want and believe what they want. I've never had any complaints unless it's from an ear ache :). Best of luck to you on your set up and amp selection. I will leave this topic at that.

All this talk makes that beam sound better and better all the time.

-drdx
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

40 watts drive into a 1x2 is way too much. You should drove it with 7-10 to.get the best, clearest signal. Driving it with 40 watts swing will not get more out of it, actually it will only last a short time driving it like that, trust me on that one! Guys overdrive pills all the time and also sound bunched up.and over modulatedvand spend a lot if money re building the boxes often.
I will look for your beam post, I am running a Maco 3 element on the flat side and love it. I talk to Australia on a rather regular basis.

snowman
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Wow, it looks like I said a lot and may have been talking to myself, but look a few posts up and you'll see what I wrote.

I'm not arguing, this hobby isn't worth that and I'm no meter expert. I'm not sure if one exists, but we all know that dosy is a generous reading meter for most. Looking at that post, I went back and looked at davemade's posted numbers for a 4 pill on stock voltage and they have 800 peak, still optimistic but that is not a kw. I like old Drake meters, my ameritron is good for ballpark rms in the mobile, and an array solutions will be my next buy.

When checking output, it is mentioned " running it through a dummyload will give a very accurate depiction of the actual wattage ruling out a rating influenced by swr". I totally agree. When would you rely on anything BUT a dummy load to really test output when dialing in a setup? We all have that friend with peaky swr that shows him high output that he lives by. Don't be that guy. That's the same guy that shows up to the Cher concert in the original Cher, "Turn Back Time T-shirt", please don't take us down that road. There is enough purse swinging for us all to choke on the straps.

On the part where it says: "Now on the original subject of our friend wondering what amp to use, if you choose a 4x2879 box driving it with just the radio it should last forever. If you drive it you may have to replace the pills ever so often especially if you plan on running a 4 to 5 watt deadkey which in my opinion is far to high if you plan to drive the amp with a 2 pill or one pill." I'm a little confused. If you have to replace the pills as you would a set of brake pads it seems like it is too much, but that's just me. Why would you not set it up so it would last forever? The confusing part is that a 4 to 5 watt deadkey is "far too high" yet if the pills are in a final configuration 40 watts is what they need. Which is it?

I'm just razzing you here a little as it appears you're pretty passionate about it. I love a 1 to 8 ratio, meaning in my case a casual 2x16, 4x32 scenario for example. Maybe I'm leaving a lot of performance on the table. According to your numbers I've got a 5kw mobile but I consider it just an honest kw rms.

On a similar topic, and this is funny, and came from a really great local operator. He phoned me last week, very excited. He had his new 2x8 setup all running and was seeing 1500 watts. He has one battery, #8 wire, a 90 amp alternator and his wiring looks like spaghetti. He SWORE he was doing that much. After a little talk, and keep in mind this guy is sharp electrically, I explained to him that while it sounds great that even at stock voltage his 1500 would be sucking more than his alternator and that at a minimum he'd have a low voltage check engine situation cooking, factoring in amplifier efficiency he is in need of Lord knows how many amps to supply that wattage after the driver (40 amps? ), the 8 pills (160 amps?), plus his jeep (???). It gets comical after a while. Maybe I'm way off here. My guess is that he's cooking with 800w or so. He runs a fair amount of maul and not a swing fan. Swing is great for the meter but easy to mash. I love the swing fan, it saves me wattage.

-drdx

-drdx
Rooster173

Post by Rooster173 »

drdx wrote:Wow, it looks like I said a lot and may have been talking to myself, but look a few posts up and you'll see what I wrote.

I'm not arguing, this hobby isn't worth that and I'm no meter expert. I'm not sure if one exists, but we all know that dosy is a generous reading meter for most. Looking at that post, I went back and looked at davemade's posted numbers for a 4 pill on stock voltage and they have 800 peak, still optimistic but that is not a kw. I like old Drake meters, my ameritron is good for ballpark rms in the mobile, and an array solutions will be my next buy.

When checking output, it is mentioned " running it through a dummyload will give a very accurate depiction of the actual wattage ruling out a rating influenced by swr". I totally agree. When would you rely on anything BUT a dummy load to really test output when dialing in a setup? We all have that friend with peaky swr that shows him high output that he lives by. Don't be that guy. That's the same guy that shows up to the Cher concert in the original Cher, "Turn Back Time T-shirt", please don't take us down that road. There is enough purse swinging for us all to choke on the straps.

On the part where it says: "Now on the original subject of our friend wondering what amp to use, if you choose a 4x2879 box driving it with just the radio it should last forever. If you drive it you may have to replace the pills ever so often especially if you plan on running a 4 to 5 watt deadkey which in my opinion is far to high if you plan to drive the amp with a 2 pill or one pill." I'm a little confused. If you have to replace the pills as you would a set of brake pads it seems like it is too much, but that's just me. Why would you not set it up so it would last forever? The confusing part is that a 4 to 5 watt deadkey is "far too high" yet if the pills are in a final configuration 40 watts is what they need. Which is it?

I'm just razzing you here a little as it appears you're pretty passionate about it. I love a 1 to 8 ratio, meaning in my case a casual 2x16, 4x32 scenario for example. Maybe I'm leaving a lot of performance on the table. According to your numbers I've got a 5kw mobile but I consider it just an honest kw rms.

On a similar topic, and this is funny, and came from a really great local operator. He phoned me last week, very excited. He had his new 2x8 setup all running and was seeing 1500 watts. He has one battery, #8 wire, a 90 amp alternator and his wiring looks like spaghetti. He SWORE he was doing that much. After a little talk, and keep in mind this guy is sharp electrically, I explained to him that while it sounds great that even at stock voltage his 1500 would be sucking more than his alternator and that at a minimum he'd have a low voltage check engine situation cooking, factoring in amplifier efficiency he is in need of Lord knows how many amps to supply that wattage after the driver (40 amps? ), the 8 pills (160 amps?), plus his jeep (???). It gets comical after a while. Maybe I'm way off here. My guess is that he's cooking with 800w or so. He runs a fair amount of maul and not a swing fan. Swing is great for the meter but easy to mash. I love the swing fan, it saves me wattage.

-drdx
AYIYI some people never get it oh well. I have been droppin the maul on the "old school" 10 watt cbers for too long. There is no point in arguing but the prove is in the pudding, take your 5 watt deadkeys and ten watt swings and i'll take my 1.5watt deadkey and45 watt swing and we will see who comes out on top. This can be done all while keeping clear audio. I run my equipment to get max performance for talking skip or local. I get the most out of my money, if i wanted to run a ten watt radio id hook up my brownings. Why should anyone spend thousands of dollars on an amp and then run it at half its capability. If you want to play you have to pay thats the rule of cbing, if you go cheap you may as well go home.
Btw nothing loose about my meter , considering a palomar 500 will only show about 300 watts pep on it. I have a wide selection of radios that i talk on just for fun like cobra 1000, 2000, browning, Dak, all that old stuff. Which these are all good radios but when i want to go for max performance i run my 2980wx,2980, 2990, Excalibur or something like that, something with some "balls". In other words i prefer not to take a knife to a gun fight hahah.
For running amps i use the 10x rule if i'm swinging 4000 PEP i try and keep my deadkey between 400 and 500. Like i've said before a lot of people dont know that deadkey is what will kill you. Running a low deadkey ensure my equip a long life while still getting max swing. But not too low of a deadkey dont want to sound choppy. Anyways to each their own beliefs there is no right or wrong way to run your equipment. Run it how you want
tracker5
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by tracker5 »

Rooster how did you get your dead key that low on your 2980wx and sound clear? I tried it and it doesn't sound too good.With or without a box The lowest dk I can get is 4w with a clear sound . "Is there a modification I would need to do?" I done it with my General Lee with mosfet finals and it sounds awsome with or without a box. I like running my deadkey low also while still getting max swing.
Is there a mod to make it sound clear?
Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 »

drdx wrote: I'm not sure how much more a cheap Dosy grade meter reads than a higher end meter. -drdx
I'm not getting into the drive requirement discussion, lol, but a Dosy will real LOWER than a 43p or Palstar or any other meter with a powered sampling circuit.
I see Dosy being called loose all the time, but it's just not true.
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

My dosy is not loose at all, it reads right at or just a tad lower than a bird

snowman
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

To the original poster, that radio will work great driving a stright 4 pill amp. If you have a trusted local operator to give you signal and audio reports vary the input wattage to the amp and find out where you sound best, that is what matters, no meter can give you that.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Oh, it is all in good fun, variety is the spice of the hobby. I have locals here that are swing fans and I tease them all the time. A 1.5 swinging to 45 situation would sound really choppy over a few miles out on a barefoot radio but after being ran through an amp the outcome can be totally different as it isn't near as linear. After all, how strong is 1.5 watts, 15 miles away?

You mention the 10 to 1, that's a 2+ pound swing and probably a great max range swing scenario. I just hate it when they have it to where there is almost NO signal unless they're talking, so bad it sounds off frequency. One local here, I kid you not, has a 5 pound dk to swing differential on a 24 pill mobile. Now he is quick on and off the key (I'm guessing because his amp supply is marginal) and is talking when he's keyed and off of it when he's done but now and then if he pauses his signal is in the weeds. He thinks he sounds great but strangely enough he really doesn't, but his cronies blow sunshine his way on a daily basis. He sounds so bad I though one of us was off frequency, and tuning my clarifier doesn't help. Oh well, while he is cruising with his low dk at least mine is fighting with his so to speak. We're friends but even friends have to have that competitive fun. The great part is that he's now swearing by some 5 foot fiberglass antenna so I think I 've got him covered based on the antenna and mounting location. It's all about the whole package for sure. He may be reading this now but I doubt he'd ever admit it.

-drdx

-drdx
hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v

Post by hilltop 439 »

What i use with my RCI 2980WX is a RM Italy KLV 550 . The radios low deadkey is set at 2 watts and i turn the mic gain down so the modulation is only swinging 10 watts this prevents the radio from overdriving the amp. I am seeing plenty of forward swing from the amp 300 watts plus on AM and the audio sounds great.
... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...
Rooster173

Post by Rooster173 »

tracker5 wrote:Rooster how did you get your dead key that low on your 2980wx and sound clear? I tried it and it doesn't sound too good.With or without a box The lowest dk I can get is 4w with a clear sound . "Is there a modification I would need to do?" I done it with my General Lee with mosfet finals and it sounds awsome with or without a box. I like running my deadkey low also while still getting max swing.
Is there a mod to make it sound clear?
Beavis in middle Tn. does all of my radio work and has for years, if you'd like to contact him and ask questions let me know via pm