Washington Base needs new channel selector cable

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
wulff
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Washington Base needs new channel selector cable

Post by wulff »

Hi all, I finally had a chance to get back to my radio stuff, I bought another Washington upd858 from eBay and when I tried it out it worked fine, I used compressed air to clean out the PC board along with some electronic cleaner as the inside was grungy (it looked like it was in a very wet place as there are specks of rust all over the inside) anyway, I noticed one of the segments on the channel selector was out and found the ribbon cable was almost gone, the wires were shorting out as the ribbon cable was crumbling! I noticed it plugged into the chassis, since my other Washington had a heavy duty clear ribbon cable soldered directly into the main PC board I assumed that one was a newer radio and the cable had been improved however, I noticed on the grungy radio there was a small board added (by the factory) that was attached to the two holes in the aluminum 'fence' towards the back of the chassis. Therefore I checked the serial numbers and found 'Mr gungy' with the flimsy plug-in ribbon cable was newer!
So, now I have to replace the ribbon cable on the newer radio since I'm sure I won't find and replacements I decided I will probably make one and remove the board-edge connector and solder directly in (like the older ones).
Has anyone ever ran across this issue?
Oh, by the way, stamped in several places inside the case was the (I assume) the previous owner "Blue Bomber rush springs, Oklahoma" it had his name which I wont put down, does anyone know of this name? The radio was modded to go all-over the freqs so I think he was more than a casual user so maybe someone remembers hearing him
'Thanks in advance.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Re: Washington Base needs new channel selector cable

Post by TheCBDoctor »

wulff wrote:Hi all, I finally had a chance to get back to my radio stuff, I bought another Washington upd858 from eBay and when I tried it out it worked fine, I used compressed air to clean out the PC board along with some electronic cleaner as the inside was grungy (it looked like it was in a very wet place as there are specks of rust all over the inside) anyway, I noticed one of the segments on the channel selector was out and found the ribbon cable was almost gone, the wires were shorting out as the ribbon cable was crumbling! I noticed it plugged into the chassis, since my other Washington had a heavy duty clear ribbon cable soldered directly into the main PC board I assumed that one was a newer radio and the cable had been improved however, I noticed on the grungy radio there was a small board added (by the factory) that was attached to the two holes in the aluminum 'fence' towards the back of the chassis. Therefore I checked the serial numbers and found 'Mr gungy' with the flimsy plug-in ribbon cable was newer!
So, now I have to replace the ribbon cable on the newer radio since I'm sure I won't find and replacements I decided I will probably make one and remove the board-edge connector and solder directly in (like the older ones).
Has anyone ever ran across this issue?
Oh, by the way, stamped in several places inside the case was the (I assume) the previous owner "Blue Bomber rush springs, Oklahoma" it had his name which I wont put down, does anyone know of this name? The radio was modded to go all-over the freqs so I think he was more than a casual user so maybe someone remembers hearing him
'Thanks in advance.
Good morning wulff,

I have plenty of 858 chassis' in storage. I am cleaning out my storage unit on President's Day. I will be looking for some HR-2510s. While I am there I will look for a scrap chassis that will work in your radio. There are plenty of mobile units that use the same cable as the Washington Base. I also have a few old Base stations, so the chances are good that I have a ribbon that will work.

PM me next week and I will make arrangements to get it to you.

Respectfully as always
Respectfully as always,

Rick
wulff
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Re: Washington Base needs new channel selector cable

Post by wulff »

You are the greatest Rick! Thanks!
I will shoot you a PM next week.
Best regards, Phil (AKA, Wulff)

-- Tuesday, 24 February 2015, 11:27 AM --

Speaking of HR 2510's I bought a new one when they came out and loved it, about a year ago I let my brother who had leukemia borrow it, the Chemo worked but he fell in his weakness and struck his head a mortal blow. I gave him a lot of radio stuff and when he passed a few months ago I think his wife sold everything in a garage sale.. bet the 2510 sold as a CB! She is a little strange and wouldn't contact the family after we lost Rick! Life is too short (I lost my sister 6 weeks before!) to be that way!
Sorry didn't mean to get off track but Rick and I talked 'freeband' in the early 70's when the skip was bad (meaning a hornets nets) that was when only a few of us was on those 'other channels', and we kept them secret! LOL!