Adjusting DK

A place to ask questions about base setups.

Moderator: JR Moderator

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Name: David g.

Adjusting DK

Post by dgbacb4148 » Saturday, 27 February 2016, 23:08 PM

:bounce: What special tool if any, is needed to adjust dead key,@ VR6, 8719 board, on a Uniden Washington ? Bear with me somebody gotta do it and it's me.
David g. :cheers:
AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik.

USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961

[/color Image Image

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Re: Adjusting DK

Post by 543FtWorth » Saturday, 27 February 2016, 23:34 PM

A small slotted screwdriver and a watt meter is all most use. A non conductive plastic screwdriver is best but with a VR a metal one won't be a problem unless you drop it or short something out.

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by dgbacb4148 » Sunday, 28 February 2016, 0:10 AM

543FtWorth wrote:A small slotted screwdriver and a watt meter is all most use. A non conductive plastic screwdriver is best but with a VR a metal one won't be a problem unless you drop it or short something out.
Thank, that's the answer I was looking for.
AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik.

USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961

[/color Image Image

MDYoungblood
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Sunday, 28 February 2016, 7:54 AM

There are a lot of places to buy the plastic tools online, to adjust the coils needs a hex key, it's always a good investment to buy a set. If using a small metal screwdriver I would add a piece of shrink tube over the metal shaft and only left the blade/tip exposed.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by dgbacb4148 » Friday, 04 March 2016, 23:06 PM

MDYoungblood wrote:There are a lot of places to buy the plastic tools online, to adjust the coils needs a hex key, it's always a good investment to buy a set. If using a small metal screwdriver I would add a piece of shrink tube over the metal shaft and only left the blade/tip exposed.

3's

Greg
Thanks Greg, that's what I have already come up with, a small screwdriver that I have already put heat/shrink tubing on and heated it, made a perfect tool. Is there enough difference in 3.75 DK and what everyone recommends 2.0 watt ? You have a Washington as well and I looked on the schematic and was tough to see VR6. I'm using a RS Power/SWR Meter and who knows how accurate it is, and I just wondered if I need to try and lower DK at all ? Hope the Jeep survived the mound LOL. 3's to you/yours.
David g.

[/color Image Image

MDYoungblood
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 05 March 2016, 7:28 AM

It depends on the amp you plan to use. I have an old HyGain Afterburner inline with the Washington, adjusted at 4w DK it shows 25w out of the amp and 110w peak, this is on AM, on SSB it peaks 120-125w. Dropping it down to 2w will save the life of the tubes, that is where I run the Washington, the receiving end won't see any difference in the slightly lower output. I use dummy loads to make all my adjustments, another good investment when playing with radio equipment.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Post by silvereagle1 » Saturday, 05 March 2016, 9:00 AM

MDYoungblood wrote:There are a lot of places to buy the plastic tools online, to adjust the coils needs a hex key, it's always a good investment to buy a set. If using a small metal screwdriver I would add a piece of shrink tube over the metal shaft and only left the blade/tip exposed.

3's

Greg
That's a great idea about the shrink tube. I used electrical tape on my small screwdriver when i was adjusting pots. I had plenty of shrink tubes just did not think of using them. Great idea for future reference.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic