Got the camper base set up... now issues

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: K40 Big Coil
Radio: Magnum s9, XForce 4p

Got the camper base set up... now issues

Post by chally216 »

Moparman here. Finally got the camper base all together, now im having issues, and im stumped...

My setup there is a vertical Maco103c, with 50 ft of RG213, with a air wound choke at the feedline; on a 20 ft tower, a Galaxy 94hp and a samlax america 40a power supply, inside of my wood shed.

I tested the antenna system with the radio in the car because i didnt have time permantly hook up the radio to the base itself. i used my S9 to test. and it was perfect.
Now,
when i put the antenna together, i tested the SWR on the flat side and adjusted the gamma match: Ch 1 1.2, ch 40 1.4. i put it on the tower vertical, and the swr moved up to 1.5 to 1.7. thats just fine for me. ( this is when i tested it in the car with the S9). no squealling or backwards swing.

So this morning, i brought down the 94hp and got it all mounted and hooked up for a permanant install. i went ahead and checked the swr, low power and its at a 2.9 to a 3... and i know you're not supposed to put audio in when you check swr, but i did just to see what happens and it swings backwards.. I checked it on the other bands and its flat on the low bands; band B... And also, im getting a squeal in in my audio when i turn the mike gain up to about noon.. i dont get it...

i was thinking of all the possibilities of what could be causing these issues... Maybe the air wound choke? maybe because the gamma match is pointed down? Maybe the antenna is too low? i have no clue. Our shed is plugged into the camper which is plugged into the breaker box. i thought that could be it, so i ran an ext cord staight from the PS to the breaker box, and still have problems. but yet all was good when i had the antenna system plugged into the car.
After i tested it the first time in the car, i didnt touch or adjust anything else.
Any input is apreciated! thanks guys.

-- Sunday, 17 April 2016, 10:47 AM --

The pic of the maco
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Got the camper base set up... now issues

Post by MDYoungblood »

The squeal is coming from the reflected RF coming back into the station because of the high SWR. I think the problem is the antenna is seeing the top tower section, as it turns the triangle portion of the tower gets closer to the radiating element. I bet if you raise it so only the mast is seen the SWR will be better. It's good you included a pic with your post.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Higher output radios can cause that...Check and see what happens when you put the S9 back inline...bet the SWR go's back down.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Recheck the VSWR (swr), with a different radio like said. You may have a bad connector or loose one or something wrong with your coax or setup that doesn't show with a lower power radio. Like JJD stated, replace the radio with the S9 and see what happens.
Also you are kind of close to the camper with the beam especially pointed vertically. Change it back to horz config and see what happens as well. But I would start by replacing the radio and checking VSWR. Then if there is still an issue, check all your coax and connections. JMHO. Hope you get it resolved.
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by chally216 »

Thanks for the reply guys. JJD is right, the swrs did go down when I put the S9 back in line. I'm just kinda scared to put the 94hp back in line bc of it's readings lol. The 94hps internal swr meter reads fine though.. I rerouted the coax too. I took the beam down to see if all my measurements were right and everything is perfect. I rechecked the tuning on the ground on a pipe on the flat side and it's at ch1 1.4 ch 40 1.5. I put it back up on the tower and got it up a little higher as well. The swr is just a little bit higher 1.5 to 1.7. There is no more squeal in the radio on either. Just the difference in swr between the two radios. All my connections and jumpers are good and tight

-- Monday, 18 April 2016, 10:54 AM --

Oh yea and I unwound the choke. I think that fixed my squeal.. bc after I did that, I didn't get anymore squealing.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I don't know what SWR meter your using, or if your just relying on the built-n radios meters. But if your using a inline SWR Meter, just remember you need to re-calibrate the meter every time you change radios.

One other thing, the more power you run, the more accurate you need to have your antenna adjusted. A SWR Meter is good...But if you can find someone with a Antenna Analyzer to check it out, that would be better since it will give you more info on whats going on, like reflect watts and ohm reading and SWR...A Antenna Analyzer takes the radio out of the picture, and just lets you see what the antenna and connected coax is really doing...Once you get your antenna set using a Analyzer, then any radio you hook up should be good to go.

One I use is a MFJ 259b. (they are pricey, which is why I said you may want to check around and see if anyone in your area has one they can come over and check the antenna out for you)

Then again, can't really tell from the angle of the pic, but you may just need to get the antenna up higher...maybe another 10', it could just be picking up allot of reflect from the surrounding buildings.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by chally216 »

I'm using the radio shack swr meter. Yea I am recalibrating every time I change channels and radios. My buddies ol man is bringing out his antenna analyzer this weekend I think so well see, thanks for the replies everyone, it's appreciated. And the antenna is up higher now not as close to the tower.