Antenna coax switch.

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Tberry
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Antenna: A99/Wilson 1000
Radio: Cobra Cam 89/29 ltd

Antenna coax switch.

Post by Tberry »

I've been out of this hobby for like 15 years and recently got the bug again. Brought the old 23 channel Cobra Cam 89 out of retirement and hooked it up to an 18' A99. Just last week I picked up another old base, a Royce for $2 and after a good cleaning it works great ! What I've done is run the A99 into an antenna switch with two 3' jumpers one going to the Cobra and one to the Royce. Everything works great, good receive and transmit on both radios. I accidentally switched the antenna from one radio to the other without powering off the first radio and noticed I was getting reception on both radios. Thinking the switch was bad I got out the volt meter and checked continuity and the switch checks perfect, no shorts. Why would I get reception on both radios? Just close proximity radiant signal ?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Antenna coax switch.

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Tberry,
Welcome to the forum. Some switches will do just as you said because the don't ground the center conductor when switched, residue RF, wrong term but a good way to put it, the receive wasn't as strong as the radio the that was switched to. Because you can hear this happening it would not be recommended to transmit with both radios on, it could burn out the receive transistors.
As a new member to the forum could you post an intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

yes, in short that is the reason. the 621 is a fine radio, I would stick with it and eliminate all other connections. welcome back to the hobby. whats your 20?
i have found a bunch of CB stuff at garage sales but never a radio for $2,, man you got a deal there!
Tberry
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Antenna: A99/Wilson 1000
Radio: Cobra Cam 89/29 ltd

Post by Tberry »

Thanks for the reply! I'm in mid west ohio. Yeah got the Royce for $2.00 probably because he thought it was junk. It would light up but no sound. All it was was a dirty oxidized channel selector. Little contact cleaner and few spins of the dial and it came to life. :)