mobile for base, why not ?

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
cyberslacker
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

mobile for base, why not ?

Post by cyberslacker »

what would a base give me that a fully featured hi quality mobile wouldn't?

i would like to set up a system in my home, but i am considering investing in a really nice mobile and use it indoors also.
i could spend more on one radio then on 2 lower end models.
Deleted User 14541

Re: mobile for base, why not ?

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The base radio just gives you a radio and power supply in one cabinet. There is no other advantage.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Just don't stick a "peaked & tweaked splatter-box" radio in the house, unless you just want to tick off the neighbors. :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

543FtWorth wrote:The base radio just gives you a radio and power supply in one cabinet. There is no other advantage.
What he said. Other than that I see nothing wrong with using a mobile in the house. My mobiles are on slide mounts so I can bring them in, slide it on a mount at the bench, hook up the coax and power, it's ready to go. I was at one time a neat freak but dealing with multiple radios and wires you get over that quick.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
cyberslacker
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by cyberslacker »

jessejamesdallas wrote:Just don't stick a "peaked & tweaked splatter-box" radio in the house, unless you just want to tick off the neighbors. :mrgreen:

how far do the neighbors have to be to NOT be affected?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

cyberslacker wrote:
jessejamesdallas wrote:Just don't stick a "peaked & tweaked splatter-box" radio in the house, unless you just want to tick off the neighbors. :mrgreen:

how far do the neighbors have to be to NOT be affected?
If you can see them from your front porch they are too close.

3's

Greg

Scholar
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI-2995

Post by Scholar »

I ran my mobile for quite some time with houses close (50 feet) on both sides of me. A Uniden 980SSB Bearcat. I made sure my antenna was up as high as possible, the SWR was good, and my amp had a proper power supply. Added in a good microphone and had no problems with my neighbors.

Only issue I had, both my wife and I have those led desk lamps where you touch them to turn on. When my amp was on and I talked the lamps would turn on and off. Raised my antenna another 8 feet and no more issues.

Do it an enjoy, lots of people run mobile CB's and mobile Ham transceiver's as bases with no issues.
Scholar (John)
KEB7787

"7787" ---- 38 lsb

Base
RCI 2995DXCF ---- MFJ-299Mic ---- Sirio Tornado 5/8 Wave Antenna
Galaxy DX2547

Mobile
RCI-2950DX ---- Wilson 1000 Antenna
Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Stoneman
Antenna: One Shot Dipole
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL

Post by Stoneman »

Scholar wrote:I ran my mobile for quite some time with houses close (50 feet) on both sides of me. A Uniden 980SSB Bearcat. I made sure my antenna was up as high as possible, the SWR was good, and my amp had a proper power supply. Added in a good microphone and had no problems with my neighbors.

Only issue I had, both my wife and I have those led desk lamps where you touch them to turn on. When my amp was on and I talked the lamps would turn on and off. Raised my antenna another 8 feet and no more issues.

Do it an enjoy, lots of people run mobile CB's and mobile Ham transceiver's as bases with no issues.
Really, I have that problem as well with a touch lamp, so 8 feet did the trick?...That's weird!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Could be the added coax or the RF isn't getting under the antenna as much as before, I've found just moving the offended object a couple inches can do the same thing. Those lamps have trace voltage so you could try a couple snap beads to cure the problem. If all else fails buy a different style (non touch) lamp.

3's

Greg

Scholar
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI-2995

Post by Scholar »

Stoneman wrote:
Scholar wrote:I ran my mobile for quite some time with houses close (50 feet) on both sides of me. A Uniden 980SSB Bearcat. I made sure my antenna was up as high as possible, the SWR was good, and my amp had a proper power supply. Added in a good microphone and had no problems with my neighbors.

Really, I have that problem as well with a touch lamp, so 8 feet did the trick?...That's weird!

I put the antenna up 8 more feet as that is what I have left in the extension pole. Stopped after that.
Scholar (John)
KEB7787

"7787" ---- 38 lsb

Base
RCI 2995DXCF ---- MFJ-299Mic ---- Sirio Tornado 5/8 Wave Antenna
Galaxy DX2547

Mobile
RCI-2950DX ---- Wilson 1000 Antenna
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

Scholar wrote: September 9th, 2016, 7:09 pm
Stoneman wrote:

I put the antenna up 8 more feet as that is what I have left in the extension pole. Stopped after that.
Wow, very nice.. I have a problem with my neighbors touch lamp as well as my own.. I am putting my antenna up another 10 feet anyway , so I hope that will do the trick.. I am also changing my coax out, from rg213 to LMR 600 ultraflex... I think a combo of raising antenna and the better coax should definetly help.. Will let you know if it works.. have to wait on my friend for help raising the antenna. :cheers:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Only problems I have had with my base is when I have the beam turned Northwest, there's a Valero's gas station about 3 miles down the road (as the crow flys) that I turn their gas pumps on and off when I key...Other than that, no one has said anything...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

jessejamesdallas wrote: July 16th, 2017, 6:08 pm Only problems I have had with my base is when I have the beam turned Northwest, there's a Valero's gas station about 3 miles down the road (as the crow flys) that I turn their gas pumps on and off when I key...Other than that, no one has said anything...
LOL! Not sure if this is a joke or you are serious, but if you are causing the pumps to go on/off you have some kind of hammer.. :biggrin: Beams are the ideal setup with a vertical up top.. Right now I just run a zero five colossal ground wave antenna, and I do drop the hammer... :whistle: Eventually I will get my beam up... I will be listening for you when I have the radio on... 8)

73's
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

TrblShooter wrote: July 17th, 2017, 7:47 am
jessejamesdallas wrote: July 16th, 2017, 6:08 pm Only problems I have had with my base is when I have the beam turned Northwest, there's a Valero's gas station about 3 miles down the road (as the crow flys) that I turn their gas pumps on and off when I key...Other than that, no one has said anything...
LOL! Not sure if this is a joke or you are serious, but if you are causing the pumps to go on/off you have some kind of hammer.. :biggrin: Beams are the ideal setup with a vertical up top.. Right now I just run a zero five colossal ground wave antenna, and I do drop the hammer... :whistle: Eventually I will get my beam up... I will be listening for you when I have the radio on... 8)

73's
Yeah...just some wishful thinking...really, have no issues at all. :mrgreen:

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ] Image
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue Ox
Call Sign: KC3LAV
Antenna: DR-Dipole, Copper "J"-Pole, IMax 2000, MFJ 1740, and a "Slinky" 40M dipole
Radio: President McKinley&Washington+142GTL Direct Injected by Leadfoot Labs

Post by Blue Ox2 »

Now, that is funny Jesse. Good thing you didn't have enough power to
press the handle and really pump some juice.

Mike

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Blue Ox2 wrote: July 17th, 2017, 11:32 am Now, that is funny Jesse. Good thing you didn't have enough power to
press the handle and really pump some juice.

Mike
Hahaha! I did have enough power in my old suburban to set off the banks alarm system and get free credits on the local car wash, back when I had my 16 pill in it...but that's another story. :mrgreen: