Base setup

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Blue MTN
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 25LTD

Base setup

Post by Blue MTN »

I'm thinking about setting up a base station at some point. What do you guys think would be a good radio to use? I'm looking at new radios under $200. I'm really kinda liking the uniden bearcat 980ssb. Whatever I decide to go with I definitely want ssb as I've never had a radio wrh it to play around with. Also the having the weather channels is a cool feature to me but not a necessity. What are your thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Cobra 25LTD installed in 2007 Jeep Wrangler
Teaberry "t" Dispatch- new
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Base setup

Post by sonoma »

if you are wanting a mobile to use a 980 works just fine. it normally coes right out of the box in pretty good shape. after you get the set up you might talk to locals on one may have a good used base such as a washington or cobra 142 base. these both are nice base radios but be aware they may need to be recapped do to their age. that is why I mentioned getting one a local is using and wants to sell.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
Blue MTN
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Blue MTN »

I like the mobile set up as a base just because they seem to be more readily available plus I can always move them to my vehicles if I want to. But there's always a local event here in November maybe I'll look into seeing what I find there.

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Nothing wrong with a mobile as a base radio, I did it for years. Now a days there isn't many choices in CB base radios and the 10m conversions are always out of stock or way too expensive. The big thing for a base setup is a good antenna system.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Blue MTN
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Blue MTN »

Well with spring in the air garage sales are everywhere. Lol. I found a teaberry t dispatch base unit. I fired it up and talked between my mobile so it works. I was excited as I only gave $10. Now I just gotta get a good antenna setup. Anybody know much about the radio?

TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

My opinion would be to grab a used but excellent condition Uniden Grant XL. Would make a great base setup..
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

:cheers: :cheers: congrats on the $10 jackpot :bounce: , , that will be a good radio to start with for sure, :DJ: now, (and as Greg said) :profileleft: the antenna array is the main component to a great base, any variation and conglomeration will work just as long as it is resonant :cyclopsani: .
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Blue MTN wrote: May 5th, 2017, 9:33 pm Well with spring in the air garage sales are everywhere. Lol. I found a teaberry t dispatch base unit. I fired it up and talked between my mobile so it works. I was excited as I only gave $10. Now I just gotta get a good antenna setup. Anybody know much about the radio?

Neat little AM base, kind of similar to the Cobra 86XLR base, no frills radio, cool that it works and you are enjoying it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department