Working Man's Apartment Base

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor
Handle: Aughtry 722
Call Sign: K4TXN
Antenna: President Iowa
Radio: President Bill FCC

Working Man's Apartment Base

Post by Aughtry »

Well, I haven't received my RCI to go in the truck yet, but I've been messing around with a base setup for the Galaxy DX959 that's coming out of the truck. With Radio Shack going out of business I picked up a bunch of components, fittings, adapters, and a 19 amp power supply all at 60% off. With only 19 amps I can't run the Palomar linear with it, so I'll be looking into 12voltpower's MegaWatt power supply soon.

What's working thus far:
19 amp Radio Shack 13.8v power supply.
Radio Shack Power/SWR meter.
Galaxy DX959 with poor man's channel mod.
Dosy FC50-S. Requires transmit, but can use tone to check SSB Freq on the Galaxy.
Cheap RoadPro external speaker.
My trusty ol' Astatic 636L

Setup on the end of the coffee table near the sliding door to the patio. :think:

I'm on the first floor, so the setup has GREAT LIMITATIONS, but it's better than nothing I suppose. I have on the patio a Wilson 1000 that was on my truck before I upgraded to the Predator. It sits on a metal plate with 2 ground wires crossing underneath it, with one end going into the ground off the edge of the concrete patio. I actually get a SWR of 1.2:1 to 1.3:1 across the band.

For now I will be working the handheld in the truck until I get my RCI 2970N4. Yeah, the handheld... a Midland 75-822 modified for 120 channels. :biggrin: The receive is awesome with the Predator antenna, but the power noise is VERY annoying. It's short term, I keep telling myself.
Aughtry 7 double-deuce waivin' atcha from Prisontown, TX
President Bill II FCC AM/FM with President Iowa antenna
Yaesu FTM-400 with Larsen NMO2/70B antenna
Yaesu FT-891 with various antennas
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Working Man's Apartment Base

Post by MDYoungblood »

Looks good. Do a little research on magnetic loop antennas and build one for outside, here is one for example;
http://fucimin.altervista.org/en/loop.html
and find one of these along a roadway to mount it on, makes a quick setup and take down;

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

im in the same boat. my landlord wont let me
put up a antenna. for now i have a dipole strung under the house eaves. it works ok. but it has many limitations.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have a friend that lives on the first floor of his apartment building, he is lucky that the parking lot, (assigned parking), is right outside the patio door, he runs a coax to his car (an Audi no less), and uses a tri-magnet mount with a 102" whip, now that he has his ham ticket he bought a bunch of "quick connects" for the mount and switches out between ham sticks and the whip. He does well with that setup and no one has complained.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department