Decent Radio

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
UglyPuppy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Ugly Puppy
Call Sign: KBU6596
Antenna: Maco V 5000
Radio: Cobra 29

Decent Radio

Post by UglyPuppy »

Now that I've finally gotten a decent radio maybe we can QSO out there in the ether someday, I'm in the process of getting my antenna back up in the air and getting a little larger linear so y'all can hear me out in San D. Just bought an RCI 2950 and I'm getting a Texas Star Mod V to drive my 5 pill Texas Star 667V to drive my new Texas Star Sweet 16. If that don't work I'm just gonna have to buy a bigger linear....oh, and a set of beams.

MODBREAK_HEADMDY

moved this post to create it's own topic
/\,_/\
//0 0\\
/// o \\\ Moondoggie [the ugly pup]
////u \\\\ Somebody'd already used my REAL handle, so I'll have to use my OLD one.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Decent Radio

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sounds like a nice setup. I think you could do without the Mod V, a Ranger 2950 has more than enough wattage to drive the 667V (that 2290 driving transistor in the amp will only take so much input). Maybe after you get it all hooked up you could post a couple pics.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
UglyPuppy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by UglyPuppy »

Love to. You may be right about the Mod V, tho. I figured I try it and if I blow the whole thing up, well...lesson learned.

Thanks for the input and I WILL be sending pics as soon as I get it all together.

3s
/\,_/\
//0 0\\
////u \\\\ Somebody'd already used my REAL handle, so I'll have to use my OLD one.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

UglyPuppy wrote: April 24th, 2019, 10:21 am Love to. You may be right about the Mod V, tho. I figured I try it and if I blow the whole thing up, well...lesson learned.

Thanks for the input and I WILL be sending pics as soon as I get it all together.

3s
You drive a TS 667 with a Mod-V, into a sweet 16, that's exactly what's going to happen...first the sweet 16's going up in smoke, followed by the 667... :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
UglyPuppy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by UglyPuppy »

See? Y'all are already saving me a small fortune. Thanks for the input. I'm used to blowing things up, but when it comes to my radios...I'd rather not.
/\,_/\
//0 0\\