Bare Copper Wire ok for grounding Imax2000?

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
tonyvlx
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: 007
Radio: Anytone AT-6666

Bare Copper Wire ok for grounding Imax2000?

Post by tonyvlx »

Will be putting up my Imax2000 antenna using a 10ft aluminum pipe over my roof line. Will bare copper wire be ok or should i use insulated copper wire to ground it to grounding rod? Thanks
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue Ox
Call Sign: KC3LAV
Antenna: DR-Dipole, Copper "J"-Pole, IMax 2000, MFJ 1740, and a "Slinky" 40M dipole
Radio: President McKinley&Washington+142GTL Direct Injected by Leadfoot Labs

Re: Bare Copper Wire ok for grounding Imax2000?

Post by Blue Ox2 »

I would use insulated but that is certainly JMHO.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Does not mater...Bare Solid core is what is used on telephone poles...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Bare copper will be fine, the problem will be the copper/aluminum connection, these two metals really don't like each other and electrolytic corrosion (look it up) will start. To stop this a ground clamp (brass) is best to use, a conductive grease could be used (messy), or attach the wire to the mount if you are using stand offs.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Post by Scipio Kid »

O.K. some of us hate aluminum and so do the rest of us. Any time you're conducting any sort of current through an aluminum conductor, you need to use the anti-oxidant or grease (Noalox is good and available at hardware stores ... H.D.) at any connection where current is being carried. Code prohibits the direct connection of copper and aluminum (putting them both in a terminal together, even if you're using Noalox). But there are a number of Cu/Al connectors available so you can splice the two together or there are lugs you can bolt to the Al with a set-screw connector fot the Cu wire to avoid the electrolytic problems Greg mentioned (again, available at H.D.). They're usually made of an alloy that won't react to either and don't let the two metals touch each other. Anywhere you make a connection to your aluminum pole, you should use Noalox, smear it all over everything, especially if you are going copper wire directly to aluminum pipe. Wrapping the connections tight with a good electrical tape (Scotch 33 or 88) to waterproof it will help as well and / or coating everything with Scotchcoat or Liquid tape. It only takes a little more time but is well worth it in the long run. I've seen improper Al connections go bad in 6 months, especially when exposed to the elements.
Happy Trails