how many amps does my van draw?

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.

how many amps does my van draw?

Post by 51 »

How many amps do you think a 1994 dodge caravan draws at max load? It has only the standard stock electronics, am/fm radio, ac/heater, headlights etc..
Just a ball park figure is enough.
420Snowman

Re: how many amps does my van draw?

Post by 420Snowman »

If its a 3.8L it will have the 120A alternator on it, if its the 3.0L it will have the 90A on it, I would say with everything running AT THE SAME TIME, you are probably pulling about 40-50 amps on the 3.0 and probably 60-80 on the 3.8, and that is just a ballpark from my experience. It all depends on the car, if you have a wiper motor that is "dragging" it will draw more amps, there are a lot of factors involved, but my guess is considering the "perfect" situation.

Snowman
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Any vehicle's current draw will vary, it's never the same, depends on what's running. One method is to total the fuse values. That should give you the 'maximum' (ball-park figure) things will draw. The only other way I can think of is to do a measurement with a 'clip-around' type current probe. That should give you a 'typical' current flow value.
- 'Doc
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

And going along with Doc's post, there are so many things involved with Amp draw, it changes by the milisecond, literally. You can put on the brakes, the ABS motor, brakelights come one, that draws more amperage. I would just put an extra battery in the back and call it a day if you are planning on running a resonably sized driver.

Snowman

Post by 51 »

yea i understand all the variables, i just wanted to get a ballpark idea of how much amperage a vehicle takes in general. As for adding fuse values that's a bust, i added all my fuse values and i got a total of 425 amps! Not quite right. Anyway i have the 90 amp alternator in my van, Gonna add a couple more batteries and try the T.S. 667V w/ low carrier and see what happens. I would love to add a second alternator but i don't think there's enough room under the hood, i gotta check it out. Thanks guys..
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

If you use a second or third deep cycle battery you should be fine. I would get a "race" style battery cut off switch so you can eliminate the extra batts when not in use, you dont need extra load on that alt. for no reason, ya know. If you do that, they can be used as a built in "jumper box" if your main batt ever goes dead!!!

Snowman
Brad314
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Connex 4300-400

Post by Brad314 »

mines a 4.6L is that a 200amp alt?
Dewey1384
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Dewey1384 »

Brad314 wrote:mines a 4.6L is that a 200amp alt?

The highest stock alternator I've ever heard of was about 165 amps. Your biggest current drawers are rear window defogger (~20A), electric seats(~10A/Seat), Lights (~15A), Blower Motor (~15A on high), Ignition and Accessories(~10A). Of Course electric windows draw a lot too but aren't usually on). Hope that helps!