motormaul setup

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
natureboy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

motormaul setup

Post by natureboy »

How does a motormaul work and does is charge off of your 12v system if not how long does it stay charged until needing to charge it
linx

Re: motormaul setup

Post by linx »

Yes a motor maul does charge off your 12v system.

In short, a heavy gauge wire goes from your stock system to the motor maul. The motor maul then goes to a bank of batteries. The advantage to a motormaul is you can increase the voltage with a voltage regulator. The disadvantage is price and its dangerous having batteries in the cab with you b/c of noxious gases that batteries (even sealed batteries) can release. You're looking at probably $1500 for a motormaul setup.

I can't post it from my blackberry, but there's some youtube vids on motormauls.

One word of "caution" or "wisdom" is as I said in your other post. Going from 800w swing to 1500w swing is going to be little to no difference on the receiving end. In order to create 1 s-unit of receive you would have to triple the output. So to go from 6 lbs to 7 lbs to a far off station would mean the difference of 800w to 2400w. If you can't get to that number it wouldn't do a ton of good unless your just trying to key over the driver next to you who's running 1000w and your doing the 800 and want to be doing 1500. That's a lot of cash to throw at a **Censored** match. Trust me, I've been there haha.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Lynx summed it up. Then, once you're all tuned up and doing that 2400, you drive into an RF hole, killing your signal, and it is like you're barefoot. That's radio. Location is the deal once you're up to having a decent signal. While there is no replacement for raw ERP (effective radiated power) it does take a bunch to move that needle up, especially once you're in the kw+ range. One phrase comes to mind: Diminishing return.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
natureboy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by natureboy »

Thanks guys
Natureboy in indianola, miss