mazda volts

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
fat boy
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

mazda volts

Post by fat boy »

is there some type of variable voltage regulaor that i can install in my 2001 mazda protege to get around 15.5 to 16 volts would that voltage hurt my electronics?
'Doc

Re: mazda volts

Post by 'Doc »

Most fairly late models of all vehicles typically have the voltage set around 14 volts (not exactly, just close). Gaining an extra volt would probably have more of a detrimental affect on the vehicle's electrical system than any particular benefit for your radio.
I don't know about other places but locally we have an alternator/generator repair shop. They can make adjustments of the voltage regulation to suit the vehicle/owner's preference. They will set the voltage to almost anything the customer wants, but after a certain point they don't guaranty their work, so it's on the customer's 'back' if it 'swarms' on them. Typically, raising voltage beyond some point will mean a reduction in the life of things, mainly light bulbs from my experience, but anything connected to that voltage source. I've also found that that can sometimes be more trouble than it's worth! It's up to you though, so...
- 'Doc

(Once changed from a 6 volt positive ground to a 12 volt negative ground. Made lots of things possible that weren't before that change. Also found out that I had to do some 'reverse' wiring to get things to operate 'normally'. If I had to do that again I still would, but I'd do some more planning ahead of time. ;))
DirtyfaceDan
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Re: mazda volts

Post by DirtyfaceDan »

You can get Marine charge regulators that are variable, and are built for charging larger battery banks in shorter periods, such as wet NiCad industrial type batteries.