Mic wiring unknown wire configuration

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
BigBopper

Mic wiring unknown wire configuration

Post by BigBopper »

Finding the audio lead:
The audio wire is always wrapped in the shield (bare wire), EASY, we've already figured out 2 of the wires.

Finding the Transmit lead:
With your ohm meter check the 3 remaining wires, check 2 wires at a time until you get continuity. The remaining wire you aren't testing is your transmit lead.

Finding the Common and Receive:
Now you must key the mic, press the PTT button in and hold it, a rubber band works, or have someone hold it for you. Check for continuity between the Transmit wire and the two unidentified wires one at a time, whichever wire reads continuity with the TX wire is the Common lead, the other wire is Receive

if the mic has 5 wires, but the connector only has 4 pins!! In this case solder the common and shield wires to the same pin on the mic
connector.
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Mic wiring unknown wire configuration

Post by sonoma »

this should help some people if they would just try it. this is the way I check mine for wire read out. most want you to tell them what color wire to put to each pin. that does not work in all cases since the cable gets changed and the cord could have different color wires.
hopefully this will help some people.
ejk
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by ejk »

How about a situation where I have a radio without a mic, how can I figure out the configuration then?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

ejk wrote:How about a situation where I have a radio without a mic, how can I figure out the configuration then?
The best thing to do in that situation is to look up a schematic of the radio and go from there. Most radios are listed in CB Tricks or covered by this chart,

Imageclick to enlarge

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

The 'simplest' way is to trace down each wire in the mic to see what it does. Then match each wire to it's appropriate pin on the mic jack of the radio. Simple, right? Yeah, right. The problem with that is that mic jacks are not standardized, each manufacturer can and does have a proprietary wiring scheme. If you're lucky, that wiring scheme is shown in a manual (or a web-site somewhere).
- 'Doc

(Nothing new in this post, just said in a different way.)
rbrill4106
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by rbrill4106 »

Hello I am new to this site and I have a Galaxy DX 949 that I have on my Goldwing ( the radios they sell for them cost $$ and are not very good) anyway I would like to do away with the mike and rig up push to talk by my handle bar and install small mike in my helmet. I guess I can just get the sound there also by the plug on the radio. Can you please help me out here on what to do? Thank you and hope to get this going, the radio is awesome, I have tuned it and it puts out good. Thanks and have a good one..
Mkymse1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Mickey Mouse
Radio: Pluto

Post by Mkymse1 »

1-Shield
2-Audio
3-Transmit
4-Receive

You can run the PTT from the handlebars and then the mic from the helmet into the same mic plug with no issues, but you'll need to run the external speaker wire up to meet the mic wire in front. I would wire them into an 1/8" stereo plug so you can disconnect the helmet with ease.