SRA-198

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
RustyFinger
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

SRA-198

Post by RustyFinger »

Can you tell me about this mic.Got new radio and it came with this mic.Have always used rk56,but they changed them and not for the better.ihave some old 56s don't know which one to use.Thanks Rusty
PA629

Re: SRA-198

Post by PA629 »

It's a noise cancelling mic made by Ranger. When they first came out a few years back, the First Generation models had muddy sounding audio. Ranger added a cap and resistor to later models to clean up the audio problem. Just pop it open, if you see a cap and resistor, you're good to go.
RustyFinger
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by RustyFinger »

PA629 wrote:It's a noise cancelling mic made by Ranger. When they first came out a few years back, the First Generation models had muddy sounding audio. Ranger added a cap and resistor to later models to clean up the audio problem. Just pop it open, if you see a cap and resistor, you're good to go.
Thank you,Rusty
magnum450
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: dipole1/2w
Radio: Galaxy2517,2547

Post by magnum450 »

I run this mic on my galaxy dx 2517 and get good reports.Its a good mic and made very well.
If youre going to use a hammer use the biggest one you can find!
Bulldog777
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Base & Mobile
Radio: Base & Mobile

Post by Bulldog777 »

I just did a review on the Ranger SRA-198 microphone and love it! It is probably one of the best out there due to is ability to cancel out the unwanted background noise. With a frequency response of 50-15,000Hz it seems to provide very good quality no matter what voice type you are, Bulldog.

Sunday, 14 April 2013, 18:25 PM

For those who would like to get a better view of this microphone... Built to last. View of the cap and resistor PA629 mentioned. Small internal ptt which is directly positioned behind the external ptt. I estimate this design will last because of no mounted on an angle like some, Bulldog.

Sunday, 14 April 2013, 18:34 PM

I tested 8 microphone over the air. Had to cameras filming at the same time. If you have the ability to view at the same time it will give a neat experience. If viewed separately on camera #1 there will be a long pause until I reach the test location, enjoy Bulldog.

Testing 8 Mobile Handheld Microphones! (Camera #1) Home!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlXuX3y6e70[/youtube]

Testing 8 Mobile Handheld Microphones! (Camera #2) Truck!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMMfkRpmfM[/youtube]
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

It's better at noise cancelling than the 56 and apparently has a better cord with thicker wires than the 56 since I've been using one now for about 2 years, nad not broke the wires yet at the radio plug...The last couple of 56's I had lasted less than 6 months before the wires started breaking.

One side note on the SRA 198...You have to almost eat the thing to get the best modulation out of it, so watch your front teeth! :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Bulldog777
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Base & Mobile
Radio: Base & Mobile

Post by Bulldog777 »

Agree on talking up close and surprised how it does not pick up the air from the voice. I imagine if somebody was real fussy they could have there radios mod re-tuned with this microphone and if you like echo, the RF Limited boards do have a mini amp circuit to give a little gusto! When I change the mic plug from a regular plug to a right angle plug noticed the wired are decent. The microphone cord has larger winding coils. Not wrapped in the smaller diameters as to some.
Road Warrior
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Road Warrior »

I use a SRA 198 on my Ranger 2995dx base and on a older Uniden Grant...
I really like these mics...

Wednesday, 25 December 2013, 10:46 AM

I need to clarify... I have 3 SRA 198 mics and each one sounds best on my Ranger 2995dx base radio.
I think they sound much better on some of the higher powered cb radios I've tested them on...
I found they have very very low modulation on stock cb radios and even on some radios which
have had the modulation limiter removed even while eating the mic as I talked...

Wonder if something could be done about that??? Any ideas?
Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Antron 99
Radio: Yaesu 101-E

Post by Skipper 169 »

Amazing, I was just about to post to see if anyone had any idea how to do away with the noise cancelling part of this mic. I use a 2970N2 and want it for the channel buttons, but, the NC is just too much, seems to eat up the power going out to cancel it out. Wonder if I can just clip that cap or resistor and open it up?
2WR169 Wisconsin

Some people just need a high five.... In the Face.... With a Chair...
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Skipper 169 wrote:Amazing, I was just about to post to see if anyone had any idea how to do away with the noise cancelling part of this mic. I use a 2970N2 and want it for the channel buttons, but, the NC is just too much, seems to eat up the power going out to cancel it out. Wonder if I can just clip that cap or resistor and open it up?
You clip that resistor, and you may as well throw the mic in the nearest trash can...That resistor was put in there to clear-up the modulation, without it you will sound like your in mud up to your neck...

The SRA 158 Mic is not a noise canceling Mic, and would be a better way to go than trying to chop-up a 198.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd

Post by d-minus »

I have both mics sra-158 and 198. The sra-198 is a little low on modulation but not much I have mine on a general lee hp for 4 years now and no problems anywhere. THEY BOTH ARE A GREAT MIC. I run the mic gain at 2 O'clock and that is all I need everyone says it sounds clear. Use it and keep it. D-minus
Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Skipper 169 »

I like it cause in an emergency, it is also a weapon. I turned the mic gain to max and it puts out fine, just when I talk normal and watch my meter, it is not going anywhere near as high as other mics I have and only one local to test it on. He says it sounds very good, but then, he sings on 385 too, when he thinks no one is listening.
2WR169 Wisconsin

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I agree with JJD, no sense in ruining a mic. If you could find an old coffin style Cobra mic they have a decent sound on the Ranger radios as well.
It would need rewiring, could change to a 6 wire cord (some were 6 wire) and add the up/down buttons, plenty of room it those.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Skipper 169 »

Chuck sent me a Cobra coffin mic, from the 80's. It sounded great with lots of power and it just went crokers this morning. Can't find anything wrong, just nothing when it keys. Oh well, got a Silver Eagle out for delivery tomorrow. And 3 or 4 other mics from when I had the 2985DX. I'll get by. :P
2WR169 Wisconsin

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

The uniden bearcat mic with the silver front and has a red bear claw as well on the front, back is black. I use one on about every 4 pin cobra style radios I have, including a galaxy 55, uniden pc122, 980, cobra 29lx le, and a few others and all get good audio reports. Loud, clean and clear. Just some food for thought
PA629

Post by PA629 »

Skipper 169 wrote:Amazing, I was just about to post to see if anyone had any idea how to do away with the noise cancelling part of this mic. I use a 2970N2 and want it for the channel buttons, but, the NC is just too much, seems to eat up the power going out to cancel it out. Wonder if I can just clip that cap or resistor and open it up?

JJD is correct, the cap and resistor was added to the original SRA-198's to eliminate the "muddiness" some people experienced. As far as getting more output, it's certainly easy enough to swap the mic cartridge to one with a higher output, places like Mouser have many to chose from, but then you're defeating the noise cancelling characteristics of the mic. Better to just go to a regular stock mic if you want something "hotter" than the n/c 198.
Skipper 169
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Skipper 169 »

Thanks for all the replies. I will never need a noise cancelling mic again, since I no longer drive trucks. I just liked the feel of it and won't use it for anything now if it can't be modded, however, I will keep somewhere close, cause it still will make an excellent weapon.
2WR169 Wisconsin

scorpion69
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by scorpion69 »

I changed the value of the green mylar capacitor to a slightly larger one.and it slightly increased the modulation.but cant remember what value i used.it sounds a little louder.
RustyFinger wrote:Can you tell me about this mic.Got new radio and it came with this mic.Have always used rk56,but they changed them and not for the better.ihave some old 56s don't know which one to use.Thanks Rusty