powered mic?

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Jackrabbit1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Jackrabbit or 373
Antenna: A-99
Radio: DX979, MF450

powered mic?

Post by Jackrabbit1 »

I was looking into a powered mic. I have never had one and wondered if they really made a noticable differance. I was looking at the Astatic Road Devil but have read mixed reviewes. Any advice on personal experience with with a power mike would be appreciated. :rabbit:
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: powered mic?

Post by MDYoungblood »

It really depends on what radio you are putting it on. A little more info and we can give you some advice.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Post by 231 »

Many of us opt for a power mic because it helps give the audio some punch to break through noise and pile ups. More importantly they can 'clean up' the audio significantly making your transmit audio allot more pleasant to listen to. I like the D104's myself...especially for the mobile and radios I run. As mentioned, allot of it is the radio you are running. I had a Cobra 200 (export / loved that radio!) that actually sounded allot better with the stock mic than even my D104's. Your voice has allot to play in that equation too by the way. The only way to know for sure is to try one on your radio.

As far as brands go, like I said I'm a D104 fan...have been for years. I've tried other mics and none of them had the clear crisp audio the D104 has...with my voice anyway.

Good luck.

Grinder74
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Grinder
Call Sign: KE8EOJ
Antenna: 102"GP, 2M Yagi
Radio: Kenwood TR-751a, Yaesu FT8800, President HR2510, Uniden TRC-465, Teaberry "T" 40ch

Post by Grinder74 »

Some radios are low level modulation, like my President Jackson. The power mic is a big help adding some punch(modulation) to my audio.
KE8EOJ
Jackrabbit1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Jackrabbit1 »

MDYoungblood wrote:It really depends on what radio you are putting it on. A little more info and we can give you some advice.

3's

Greg
I am running a galaxy dx 959 with a rfx 75. :rabbit:
77F150Screwb
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy 99

Post by 77F150Screwb »

The elephant in the room (for me, at least) is the battery. I always forget to change them and then get irritated when my radio doesn't talk like it should. I'm of the opinion that a good noise canceling mic is a better option than one I have to swap batteries in.

If there is a way to wire the mic to draw its power from the radio, I'd get on that bandwagon.
Jackrabbit1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Jackrabbit1 »

77F150Screwb wrote:The elephant in the room (for me, at least) is the battery. I always forget to change them and then get irritated when my radio doesn't talk like it should. I'm of the opinion that a good noise canceling mic is a better option than one I have to swap batteries in.

If there is a way to wire the mic to draw its power from the radio, I'd get on that bandwagon.
Thanks for the advice. Galaxy is a 4 wire plug so I guess I would have to change mic plugs to a five or six wire. :rabbit:
77F150Screwb
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy 99

Post by 77F150Screwb »

Before you give up, wait and see if one of these other guys might know how to wire power from the radio to a mic...

I'm very much like Oddball when it comes to radios. "I just drive 'em... I don't know what makes em work"

If you don't get the reference, go watch Kelley's Heroes, and it will make much more sense...
Jackrabbit1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Jackrabbit1 »

77F150Screwb wrote:Before you give up, wait and see if one of these other guys might know how to wire power from the radio to a mic...

I'm very much like Oddball when it comes to radios. "I just drive 'em... I don't know what makes em work"

I think I have an idea on how to do it. just need to see it radio has a 9v source. :rabbit:

If you don't get the reference, go watch Kelley's Heroes, and it will make much more sense...
gunner57
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Wilson 1000 roof mnt
Radio: Galaxy 95t2-TNT 600H

Post by gunner57 »

This seems like an endless debate because it is all opinion. There is no right answer. A power mic can do a lot for some radios, especially if there is not adjustment for modulation. Even if there is, but not externally, it can be nice to create the option via the mic adjustment. The problem is when some people turn the gain up too high and it just creates distortion, and spatter, etc. It is worse when the radio is overmodulated to start with. But radios don't need a power mic to overmodulate. Techs who use the Dewalt 18V battery drill to crank all the internal POTs know what I'm talking about. But a power mic that isn't running too much gain sounds great.
Galaxy 95t2-X-force TNT 600HD-102"
Uniden Grant XL
Uniden Madison V4
Galaxy 929
Uniden PC76 XLW
Cobra 146 GTL
Cobra 138 XLR
Cobra 29 WX NW
Cobra 25 WX ST
Johnson 4230
Uniden Pro510XL
Jackrabbit1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Jackrabbit1 »

gunner57 wrote:This seems like an endless debate because it is all opinion. There is no right answer. A power mic can do a lot for some radios, especially if there is not adjustment for modulation. Even if there is, but not externally, it can be nice to create the option via the mic adjustment. The problem is when some people turn the gain up too high and it just creates distortion, and spatter, etc. It is worse when the radio is overmodulated to start with. But radios don't need a power mic to overmodulate. Techs who use the Dewalt 18V battery drill to crank all the internal POTs know what I'm talking about. But a power mic that isn't running too much gain sounds great.
That is what I fiqured. Before I get one I need to turn the modulation pot back down to 90%. :rabbit:
gunner57
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by gunner57 »

My preference is no power mic. 100-120% modulation is usually what is desired. Many radios have the ability to do so without a power mic. If that is the case, then I don't see the need for one. If you have to turn the radio's modulation down so you can have a mic to bring it back up, it just isn't logical. If I had a Uniden 510XL or a Midland 1001z, I wouldn't hesitate to put a power mic to it. Neither have an external mic gain pot. The Midland has pretty weak modulation anyway. But if the radio is able to reach 100% modulation or more, I like using a good noise canceling mic or even a good quality omnidirectional mic.
Uniden Grant XL
Uniden Madison V4
Galaxy 929
Uniden PC76 XLW
Cobra 146 GTL
Cobra 138 XLR
Cobra 29 WX NW
Cobra 25 WX ST
Johnson 4230
Uniden Pro510XL
Jackrabbit1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Jackrabbit1 »

gunner57 wrote:My preference is no power mic. 100-120% modulation is usually what is desired. Many radios have the ability to do so without a power mic. If that is the case, then I don't see the need for one. If you have to turn the radio's modulation down so you can have a mic to bring it back up, it just isn't logical. If I had a Uniden 510XL or a Midland 1001z, I wouldn't hesitate to put a power mic to it. Neither have an external mic gain pot. The Midland has pretty weak modulation anyway. But if the radio is able to reach 100% modulation or more, I like using a good noise canceling mic or even a good quality omnidirectional mic.
I have a dx959 and can crank the modulation well past 100%, at least according to the meter on the radio. I guess I will just get a noise good noise canceling mic. Thanks for all the help! :rabbit:
1 ADAM 12
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 1ADAM12
Radio: General Lee

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

Like the others have said...to each their own. It does matter what type of voice you have. I talk to an older gentleman that, in person, you have to stand really close to understand. He talks very low. On the radio he uses a power mic. This helps him very much because without it, I probably couldn't hear one word from his transmit. Personally I use the Astatic 636L noise cancelling mic. I would not turn my modulation down to 90% just to be able to add a power mic (I doubt the meter on the radio is very accurate to adjust modulation). To measure modulation correctly you need to use an external meter and/or and oscilloscope. Some of the others have warned that a radio which is already overmodulated in addition to a power mic...leads to disaster. Your transmit will have a "hashy" sound and it will not be very pleasant to talk to you. If I am on the radio having a conversation with another person and I have to keep asking them to repeat everything they say because their transmit is all distorted, I won't continue the conversation very long. Also, you do not have to change your radio to a 5 or 6 pin mic connector. You can buy mics in all different numbered pins, especially an Astatic 636L. Just ask Str8Stroke.
1-ADAM-12
gunner57
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by gunner57 »

1 ADAM 12 wrote:Like the others have said...to each their own. It does matter what type of voice you have. I talk to an older gentleman that, in person, you have to stand really close to understand. He talks very low. On the radio he uses a power mic. This helps him very much because without it, I probably couldn't hear one word from his transmit. Personally I use the Astatic 636L noise cancelling mic. I would not turn my modulation down to 90% just to be able to add a power mic (I doubt the meter on the radio is very accurate to adjust modulation). To measure modulation correctly you need to use an external meter and/or and oscilloscope. Some of the others have warned that a radio which is already overmodulated in addition to a power mic...leads to disaster. Your transmit will have a "hashy" sound and it will not be very pleasant to talk to you. If I am on the radio having a conversation with another person and I have to keep asking them to repeat everything they say because their transmit is all distorted, I won't continue the conversation very long. Also, you do not have to change your radio to a 5 or 6 pin mic connector. You can buy mics in all different numbered pins, especially an Astatic 636L. Just ask Str8Stroke.

Like I said, in my first post to this thread, it is all opinion. There really is no real right answer. It is true that some people tend to have a quieter voice and can use the extra pop of a power mic. But that gets back into the modulation percentage. The person with a weak voice wont be modulating to 100% and need the mic to make up the difference. That being said, many radios get sent out to a shop and have the modulation adjusted via tone generator and O-scope, which doesn't really cater to the individual that will be operating the radio, just the majority. There are special circumstances. That Galaxy shouldn't have a problem with modulation though. A noise canceling mic doesn't have to be the answer either. I use an Astatic 611L Omnidirectional mic with ceramic cartridge on my 95t2. It is very crisp and clear and loud. I have 636Ls on most of my other radios and a turner RK56 on one. But again, its all preference.
Uniden Grant XL
Uniden Madison V4
Galaxy 929
Uniden PC76 XLW
Cobra 146 GTL
Cobra 138 XLR
Cobra 29 WX NW
Cobra 25 WX ST
Johnson 4230
Uniden Pro510XL
Z-MAN
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI 2990, 98VHP

Post by Z-MAN »

Are you using that radio in your vehicle? Then go with a N/C mic like the Road Devil, but keep the level on the side half-way or it might squeal. Some guys prefer a stock mic but dont realize they sound like they are eating or kissing it, lol. I dont like hearing the lip smacking, awfull and hideous sounding, lol.
Z-ROCK! Z-ROLL!
Jackrabbit1
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Jackrabbit1 »

Z-MAN wrote:Are you using that radio in your vehicle? Then go with a N/C mic like the Road Devil, but keep the level on the side half-way or it might squeal. Some guys prefer a stock mic but dont realize they sound like they are eating or kissing it, lol. I dont like hearing the lip smacking, awfull and hideous sounding, lol.
Is in a diesel truck with loud stacks, but I tend to use the cb in the driveway since I dont yet have a base station.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Like what has been said the choice is up to you, any mic that is wired for Cobra, Uniden, or Galaxy, 4 pin will work on your radio. You can find the wiring pin out at CB Tricks for the 959 if the radio is not wired for it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I think I have had every hand held power mic made since the mid 70's, and IMO some of the best were the old Road King 60's 70's, JM+2/U's and a host of other Turner Mic's built in the 70's...However, even if you find one of those in decent shape, they don't really sound that good IMO on todays radios...Could be because of a whole host of reasons, everything from todays electronics to possibly just the Mic elements themselves suffering from dry-rot.

Of the hand-held Power Mics available today, I have to say the best one I have used is the RF Limited Xtreme 2018...It does everything.
Echo, Power Mic, Noise Cancelling, Talk Back...You can use it just as a NC Mic, with or without the echo, or just as a power mic...

It uses a 9v battery, and if you get a good name brand alkaline (I prefer the Copper-Tops) they should last you at least a year or more before needing replaced.

IMO the Astatic RD Mic is a P.O.S...along with Cobra's Power mic... The D 104's are good, but they do not have any kind of Noise cancelling feature on them, so if your in a noisy environment, they will pick up every little noise in the back ground.

Biggest problem using a Power Mic, is being over modulated, so it takes a bit of experimenting to get one set just right with the radio so you sound "Loud and Proud", and not splattering over half the channels.

I have 3 mobile set-ups, with 3 different radios, but all 3 have the 2018 on them, and all sound just fine. I usually leave the NC switch in the ON position too just to help from getting over modulated, and have the echo wheels on the back of the mic set between the 1 and 2 setting. This doesn't give you a real bad echo sound, but more of a basier sound.

Also, the RF Limited Etreme 2018 is priced about the same as the Astatic Road Devil. (if not cheaper)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
gunner57
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by gunner57 »

jessejamesdallas wrote: and have the echo wheels on the back of the mic set between the 1 and 2 setting. This doesn't give you a real bad echo sound, but more of a basier sound.
I like just a hint of echo too. I used to hate echo. It was really annoying to me, but it was because all the radios I heard with it was overdone. I finally heard one that you could barely tell it was there, but it was on just enough, and gave the radio a unique sound, and it sounded awesome. Now I run mine that way.
Uniden Grant XL
Uniden Madison V4
Galaxy 929
Uniden PC76 XLW
Cobra 146 GTL
Cobra 138 XLR
Cobra 29 WX NW
Cobra 25 WX ST
Johnson 4230
Uniden Pro510XL
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I really like the 2018 in the mobile. I have the wheels marked right about where Jesse James says and it sounds great with the DT on. The only drawback is they're easy to bump. I'm really considering gluing them. :lol:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

543FtWorth wrote:I really like the 2018 in the mobile. I have the wheels marked right about where Jesse James says and it sounds great with the DT on. The only drawback is they're easy to bump. I'm really considering gluing them. :lol:
There's a easy fix for that!

Go to the local Home Depot pluming section and get you some small rubber O-rings like go on faucets...Remove the wheels and place a O-ring behind the wheel...This will put tension on the wheels so they don't easily move...You can still adjust them if you need to, but it's a little harder...

Seems like it was #4 O rings is what you need to look for. Or just get the assortment package and use the small O rings...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Good idea. I should have some orings stashed somewhere.