Cleaning a K40 microphone element ?

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
bbqradio
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: TS-2500s
Radio: Glxy 959, Bct 980

Cleaning a K40 microphone element ?

Post by bbqradio »

A few months back, I bought a K40MICCH model microphone for the boss, his truck radio, a bog standard 29 NW LTD, had a crapped-out original mic on it.

The K40 mic made him sound like he was right in my cab, so I know it's a nice mic. A few weeks later, though, the radio started having issues; It does not key-down, no sound gets through and the meter does not move for the first minutes of the day. Oddly enough, without intervention, it all goes back to working fine after the radio's been running for about 10 minutes.

I've just got him a new Astatic 636L to replace that K40 mic, hoping the mic is the problem.

If the radio's good, and works well with the 636L, I plan on getting that K40 mic off of him for myself, and fix whatever's wrong with it. I'll check the contacts and welds at the connector and inside the mic itself, but was wondering...

Is there's a time-tested proven way to clean the elements on that microphone's specific element, like using DeOxit spray or something ?
BBQ-radio two-five, wavin' at'y'all «beep !»
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Cleaning a K40 microphone element ?

Post by MDYoungblood »

The PTT switch were really cheap in those mics, it's possible the contacts are broken. If "DeoxIt D5" doesn't clean them up you'll have to find another switch.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
bbqradio
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: TS-2500s
Radio: Glxy 959, Bct 980

Post by bbqradio »

Thanks for the tip.

I'm feeling a little let down, the Mic is fine on my Galaxy.. And the darn radio looks like it's slowly dying. :confused:
BBQ-radio two-five, wavin' at'y'all «beep !»
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Well at least you narrowed it down to the radio, time to figure out what's going on with it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department