Turner +2 Lo Modulation

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
cabo316
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: 2000GTL&138XLR

Turner +2 Lo Modulation

Post by cabo316 »

Have a +2 that was in box for many years. It was free with a radio, and never worked. With help from CBRT I set in to rebuild the interior. It was a nest of different color wires, many disconnected, and lumps of solder, mostly cold joints. So I rewire and clean with deoxit and reassemble. I am planning on giving this mic to a local club member who has a 2547 with a hand Astatic...so I wired it as a 4 pin. I use a 5 pin +3 on my base. I hooked the +2 with 4 to 5 adapter to my base. I'm getting reports from the locals who know my +3 Tx volume, and I'm told the +2 has low modulation...not "good sound" like the +3. Turning up the pot beyond 11-12 it starts to squeal. There is an amp board up where the mic element is and another where the mod pot is. Is it time to rebuild the board(s). I can't in good conscience give this away with low mod. Thank you for suggestions.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Turner +2 Lo Modulation

Post by MDYoungblood »

I'd try it on a Cobra, Galaxy, or Uniden radio first to see if the problem is the adapter. Check your wiring so nothing could be shorting. There is only one electrolytic cap that possibly go bad or dry out which would be the case here. Only other thing is the mic element itself is bad.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
cabo316
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: 2000GTL&138XLR

Post by cabo316 »

MDYoungblood wrote:I'd try it on a Cobra, Galaxy, or Uniden radio first to see if the problem is the adapter. Check your wiring so nothing could be shorting. There is only one electrolytic cap that possibly go bad or dry out which would be the case here. Only other thing is the mic element itself is bad.

3's

Greg
Thanks Greg. I opened up the mic, again, and checked wiring with schematic. It looks right. Put it back together again and got the same local guy to respond...sounds like you're in a large tin box...low modulation...very "tinny" sounding. Really good needle swing on my meter as well as his. He suggested same thing, mic element may be bad. I thought I had another +2 in my possession, but haven't unearthed it yet. Have done the online search for a mic element, with no luck. Also, I know in the old days, the remedy for too much bass? was to poke a hole in the foil part of the element. That was done decades ago, as I didn't do it and I've had it for 35? years. For now it will be "on the side".
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I hope you can find that donor mic, if not any pickup element would work, check out some yard sales or flea markets and find a recording mic (kids toy mics), some I've found have some really excellent ceramic and dynamic elements in them. won't be much if anything to change in the amplifier board, might need to put a .01 cap across the pickup leads.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
GS19D3
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Antenna: Phased dipoles
Radio: Anything Cybernet

Post by GS19D3 »

I know it is an old post, but I'd love to know how this one turned out. The ceramic element in the Turner mics is really robust. On the off chance the element is bad, you can sub a ceramic element from any old 23 channel Johnson CB. Sounds like either the FET impedance convertor on the back of the mic element, or a leaky cap on the amp board. I have a couple of +2s here. Great mics.