old cobra coffin mics

Microphone Information Wiring etc, or if you just need help with choosing a good microphone for your radio.

Moderator: JR Moderator

d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd
Name: Daniel

old cobra coffin mics

Post by d-minus » Thursday, 14 April 2016, 16:57 PM

I was looking at buying some old cobra coffin mics and want to know if they are any good. Thanks for any help guys. D-minus

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: old cobra coffin mics

Post by 1206FL » Thursday, 14 April 2016, 18:18 PM

Yes they are a decent stock mic. I have one and it has nice clean clear audio. Not blazing loud or anything, just clean and clear. Don't spend a bunch on them. The uniden BMKG0637001 mics are a pretty good stock mic for use with most cobra 4 pin type radios. Use them on Galaxy radios and many others and always got good audio reports with this mic. Here is a photo of the mic I speak of. Image
Hope this helps.

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Post by 543FtWorth » Thursday, 14 April 2016, 18:39 PM

A lot of old microphones used to be good. Time takes a toll on the elements and they may not sound as good as they once did. Especially if they were stored in a hot attic or any harsh environment.

d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by d-minus » Thursday, 14 April 2016, 20:41 PM

Thanks guys. I will keep that in mind 543ft worth they said they have been in storage. 1206fl I will look into those mics. thanks for the picture. D-minus

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Name: David g.

Post by dgbacb4148 » Thursday, 14 April 2016, 21:35 PM

:bounce: I've got one on Cobra 25 that I always get great feedback on, it's my old standby mobile. If you find mics @ a good price like mentioned earlier, get them. JMHO.
David g. :cheers:
AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik.

USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961

[/color Image Image

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Friday, 15 April 2016, 11:27 AM

Cobra wasn't the only brand that used the coffin mics, quite a few have them back in the day, just remember not everyone was wired like Cobra. At one time I had a large supply of them, were given to me by people I wired power mics for.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by d-minus » Friday, 15 April 2016, 20:10 PM

O.K. the guy that has these cobra coffin mic also has some ranger sra-158 mic. He said he found thes in a closet in his house in a room where he used to do radio repair10-15 years ago. He is asking $18 each for either one would this be a fair price considering they have been in storage and would the ranger be a better mic. I see rangers on flea bay for 22.95

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Post by 543FtWorth » Saturday, 16 April 2016, 1:38 AM

I wouldn't pay $18 for any stock microphone. I've given a lot of them away to guys that needed a mic.

pabxone
Donor
Donor
Radio: NDI PC201
Antenna: 1/2 wave vertical
Name: Mark Anderson

Post by pabxone » Saturday, 16 April 2016, 2:45 AM

The sra-158 is an OK microphone - Nice to hold and use - Audio quality is OK but not outstanding - certainly on the one's I've tested here anyway.
They are a little less than $18 U$D retail from memory.

The Cobra coffin mikes if they are "new old stock" they would probably be worth $18.00 if they are the late 70's early 80's Cobra / Uniden style coffin microphones , If they are second hand I'd value them around $5 - $10 each.

Someone else mentioned that these Coffin style microphones were also used on a lot of other radio's other than the Cobra's.
Most of the better standard factory microphones were made in Taiwan , Hong Kong and Japan by Carole and I think the other big OEM microphone company was Merry but I could be wrong as it was a long long time ago.

The Astatic 636 is a good standard microphone , being a noise canceling microphone the Audio output level is not super loud , but they are a nice microphone , nice to hold and use , the audio quality is good and a worthy replacement for a standard factory microphone - But don't abuse them or drop them from a great height as the microphone cartridge is fragile - But spare parts for the 636 are easy to get - At around $22 the price is OK.

An overlooked Coffin microphone is the Workman CM4 - It's a direct copy of the old Cobra coffin mike , Feels the same to hold and use, Audio quality and output is good and if you look around you can find them for about $10 which is pretty good value for money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic