Power Mic for the Lincoln II+

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Firebreather
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: Icom 706MKII

Power Mic for the Lincoln II+

Post by Firebreather »

Has anyone added a power mic to the Lincoln II+? If so, what did you go with, and how were your results? Thanks in advance for all opinions.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Power Mic for the Lincoln II+

Post by MDYoungblood »

Like any radio you can wire up a power mic just as long as you don't overdrive the radio's modulation. A local is using a Astatic Red Devil on his and has it wired so the battery is eliminated (pin 6 is +8v), the mic sounds okay to me but the stock mic was just as good. I have an Anytone AT-6666 and I'm thinking of doing the same thing, the noise cancelling mic is better in a vehicle at reducing the open window noise.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Firebreather
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: Icom 706MKII

Post by Firebreather »

Thanks. I did a similar thing with a D-104 on an Icom 706 MKII. Used that phantom 8V line in the mic circuit to power the mic. Worked out pretty well. I'm pretty happy with the stock mic audio on the Lincoln II+, but was more curious than anything to know if anyone had played around with an aftermarket mic. I found once the RF output was reduced, the modulation came up to a very clean 100%. SSB reports have been very good as well. I think President did a darn good job with the Lincoln II+. I'm loving mine so far.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have a Red Devil on my 706MKIIG, pain in the butt getting the RJ-45 plug wired up but I hated that adapter even more. The 8v on the jack isn't phantom, the voltage is needed to drive the electret element in the Icom (both hand and desk) microphones and some Heil mics for Icom. The voltage on the Lincoln's jack is for the up/down channel/frequency feature of the radio.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department