Power mic for a Galaxy

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
JetSetter
Handle: JetSetter/822
Antenna: 11m Dipole, PAT-12, Browning BR-28
Radio: RCI-2995DXCF

Power mic for a Galaxy

Post by JetSetter »

It seems a lot of you are using power mics of some sort. So did a little reading. And I like what I'm hearing. So now my question is. What would be a good mic for my Galaxy DX959. Is it just a matter of personal preference, or is there a couple that stand out. Was looking at the Astatic Road Devil. And it's not a bad price.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Power mic for a Galaxy

Post by MDYoungblood »

Two questions, are you planning to used it in the mobile or on a base? Has the radio had any mods done to it? I have a Road Devil on my mobile CB, Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C, it is strictly mobile and the noise cancelling works just fine but you have to have the mic right at your mouth when speaking. If it going as a base and you like a hand mic the D104M6 would be a better choice. There are others out there, costing a little more that is preferred. Now question 2, if the radio hasn't been opened, tweaking potentiometer VR16 for some more AM modulation and VR13 will increase the SSB modulation, this will add some boost to the stock microphone.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

MDYoungblood wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:40 am Two questions, are you planning to used it in the mobile or on a base? Has the radio had any mods done to it? I have a Road Devil on my mobile CB, Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C, it is strictly mobile and the noise cancelling works just fine but you have to have the mic right at your mouth when speaking. If it going as a base and you like a hand mic the D104M6 would be a better choice. There are others out there, costing a little more that is preferred. Now question 2, if the radio hasn't been opened, tweaking potentiometer VR16 for some more AM modulation and VR13 will increase the SSB modulation, this will add some boost to the stock microphone.

3's

Greg
Mostly as a base.It has no mods done to it, but I DO want them done. Is a o-scope needed for this? And a found a Astatic D104M6B, same thing? If so, the price is sure right. And since were talking about mods. Is there one to increase power output?

From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

You can find the adjustment info on CB Tricks for the radio. No, these two pots only increase the modulation, I don't recommend any others without proper aligning equipment. The potentiometers in the radio turn 360° so you will need at least a watt meter to see the difference when adjusting it.
The "B" just means "black case" on the d104 hand mic.

3's

Greg

JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

From one Greg to another. Thanks. Going to check that out right after lunch.

From the land of Lincoln
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

no one mentioned this to you but with a power mic if you turn on the talk back you will get one heck of a squeal out of the radio. just thought I would mention this before you start saying with the new mic the radio squeals.
good luck on your set up.
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

sonoma wrote: January 13th, 2018, 7:05 pm no one mentioned this to you but with a power mic if you turn on the talk back you will get one heck of a squeal out of the radio. just thought I would mention this before you start saying with the new mic the radio squeals.
good luck on your set up.
Yeah, I read that somewhere about the squeal. Nice to have it confirmed by someone here tho. Thanks buddy

From the land of Lincoln
HOUNDOG
Donor
Donor

Post by HOUNDOG »

I'll post this question here since it sort of applies to my situation. I just wired up a road devil for my Galaxy 10m radio and it pegs the meter on modulation and power. If I turn down the gain on either the mic or the radio, it will drop the meter a little bit but this issue doesn't seem right. Anybody have any input?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

HOUNDOG wrote: March 7th, 2018, 8:07 pm I'll post this question here since it sort of applies to my situation. I just wired up a road devil for my Galaxy 10m radio and it pegs the meter on modulation and power. If I turn down the gain on either the mic or the radio, it will drop the meter a little bit but this issue doesn't seem right. Anybody have any input?

I am guessing the radio has been peaked which means the modulation pot is turned all the way up. You are talking about AM and not SSB.
The best way to adjust the microphone is to turn the mic gain on the radio all the way up with the gain on the side of the microphone on zero, then adjust just the microphone until the modulation to a listening station says it is not overmodulating. Note the location of the gain on the mic and leave it alone. Not when talking close to someone use the radio's mic gain to lower the volume a tad.

3's

Greg

HOUNDOG
Donor
Donor

Post by HOUNDOG »

Thanks for the info Greg!