What I am doing...

Tell us what you're doing from day to day. Post your daily notes here about any radio projects that you are working on.
KI4QWJ
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Radio: Cobra 148 / VX-7R

What I am doing...

Post by KI4QWJ »

I am doing a great deal. Some of you recognize my nickname as a HAM ticket. Technician, Element Two. A real newb when it comes to air time. Right now I am studying for my General ticket, after that will be CW. When I blow a fuse from studying I am searching for radio nets in the area I am passing through. As twuck twiver I go through some real areas and quick. Currently I have found ther radio nets on cb's are falling off. That surprises me because of the sheer numbers of cb's that are bought and sold. Currently there are around 10 million of us that have them. So what are we doing with them?

I search for ways to create radio networks as an alternative to using my cellphone. It works really well if the person you want to speak with has a radio and knows how to use and care for it. I am learning more about both.

If you have or know of any cb radio nets, would you be kind enough to share their frequencies with me and their times? I travel all over the southeast, and texas. So don't be shy. I have had my shots just to be safe.

:icon_e_smile:
Twink
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra148F/Cobra 200

Re: What I am doing...

Post by Twink »

just curious, what's a radio net?
Dammit Wrongway! I drilled the freaking hole!

KI4QWJ
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Radio: Cobra 148 / VX-7R

Post by KI4QWJ »

Twink...,

Radio Network = radio net = RADNET = A group of individuals who use their radios (am or fm) during scheduled times to communicate any manner of information concerning any topic the users wish to discuss. Most commonly used by Amatuer Radio Operators to keep their skills honed in case they are needed during some crisis. Radio Nets can be held at prearanged times or if there is enough users in a given area a radio net can be ongoing throughout the day.

As the Liaison for AVDRT I encourage EVERYONE to talk to others in their area and listen to common channels. For Example while in Alabama I monitor Channel 22 or 27.225 Mhz. When using the radio net to talk to another net member in Northern Alabama I am on 22 USB, In southern alabama 22 LSB. In Mississippi I follow the same pattern on channel 20.

Anyone can start a net. Get on 19 and say "Break", when another user acknowledges your break say, "This is ____________________ and I am looking for radio users who would like to form a radio net. I will be on channell ____ monitoring if you have any questions." Then switch to that channel and take it from there.

Most commonly asked questions:

1) What will we do on the net? - Initially the net will be an informal time to get on the radio and know that someone else is going to be there. This is a great time to ask questions about stuff you would like to learn more about, and even trade some stuff you no longer want or need. Find out where each user is in relation to the others and eventually you might find yourself having cookouts at the park skipshooting.

2) What channel do radio nets use? - Radio nets use any channel that is not in use at the time. Radio nets must never interfere with traffic from another user if that user was on the channel first or if they have priority traffic. I always recommend that you stay at least 6 channels away from 19. Some of your brothers and sisters behind the mic have some stout sqwaukers!

3) What if our schedules don't match? - I love this one! It just means that there is another net meeting on a different schedule in your area. Literally there can never be too many nets! As your net grows and users get to know each other a radio net could be used in place of a telephone. Imagine being able to talk to friends and family without paying anything! WooooHooo! I like it alot!

4) Do you need any special licenses?- No, in the cb realm all you need is a radio. That is what makes cb so Nice!

5) What about troublemakers?- Welllll--l, The best thing to do is find out why they want to cause trouble. Invite them to join. If they continue to be a bother then you can change the meeting channel. While the suggested manner is what works for me I am sure you folks can find other ways of handling troublemakers on your own.

Those are the 5 most popular questions I get. Hope that helps.

:jokercolor:
darkside335
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by darkside335 »

Used to be a sideband net around here. Due to all the h&d being slung I got my ticket also. I skipped tech and went str8 to general. Lots of nets around here but not on 11 meter.
kj4jni
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Twink he's right and a "net" or network is kind of like a radio-version of our online forum here. With many members who get on, talk and exchange ideas etc on a regular basis.

In Southern Jersey we have regular nets of varying size on AM Channels 1, 14, 15, 17, 20, 21, 23, 27, 32, 34, and 38LSB. They are regular groups who are always on with many members (to varying degrees). Day after day and night after night.
littlered
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by littlered »

hey there ham ticket... if your ever up north here in NNY State near the canadian border, we have a informal net on 26.965 am, Littlered is the handle, we have the grey squirle and JJ and highway man in there every night from about 6 pm on. It's not a directed net, we just shoot the breeze. I too have my ticket (kc2upj) if I ever hear you on the other bands I'll try and shout!
littlered out!!!!!!!!!!
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

Congratulations on your ticket. I don't know any CB nets except for talking local 27 mhz but you may want to check out hamtestonline.com to help you study. If you go with a book, W5YI study materials are more clearly written than the ARRL. Good luck.